Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Albie Morgan and Josh Davison - New contracts

Comments

• Options
    I am really pleasantly surprised that Albie has signed; I really thought Bowyer’s tough love with him would put him off, so this is really good news.

Josh looked good too. 
  • Options

Good to hear. I see videos the other day of Davison training with the first team, almost forgotten about him.

You SAW videos the other day, shocking grammar standards from a Doctor!
  • Options
    I'm chuffed with these. I was a little surprised because of the rumoured disagreement between Albie and Bows, but chuffed to bits two fellas who could turn out to be top class players.
  • Options
    What is the Doughty situation then? Looking unlikely we will get him to sign on? That would be more disappointing than LT in many ways.
  • Options
    What is the Doughty situation then? Looking unlikely we will get him to sign on? That would be more disappointing than LT in many ways.
    He triggered a Contract extension earlier this year so guess he'll be next on the list - Imagine it was more urgent to get Morgan tied down as he will be out of contract, Davison I imagine was quite an easy one to get done
  • Options
    Great news hope a few others follow
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done to both of them. I hope we see more of our young talent signing this kind of contract in future.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    This is excellent news and somewhat beyond expectation.
    There would be an upfront cost to issue new contracts - possibly a signing fee plus agents fees! There is also the commitment for three years in Albi's case and two for Josh. We could guess at their wages but it would not be beyond realism to assume c£4-5k per week. Taking the lower figure that's a contractual obligation entered into by the club for in excess of £1 million.
    Who the hell is fronting that sort of financial commitment? I cannot imagine it's Farnell or Elliot - neither it would appear are rich men.
    They've got to have something to sell to the next lot. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    There would be an upfront cost to issue new contracts - possibly a signing fee plus agents fees! There is also the commitment for three years in Albi's case and two for Josh. We could guess at their wages but it would not be beyond realism to assume c£4-5k per week. Taking the lower figure that's a contractual obligation entered into by the club for in excess of £1 million.
    Who the hell is fronting that sort of financial commitment? I cannot imagine it's Farnell or Elliot - neither it would appear are rich men.
    I can’t see they’d be much of a signing on fee involved. They are two kids with limited first team experience. Also be surprised if either were on 4/5k initially when most of the senior pros are on around 5/6k per week aren’t they?
  • Options
    I would imagine each would be on a basic of no more than £80,000 a year, with the hope of bonuses.
  • Options
    Somehow I think Bob might know just a little about pay levels at Championship football clubs
  • Options
    Somehow I think Bob might know just a little about pay levels at Championship football clubs
    Well he’d certainly know we pay less than Stoke. Didn’t we offer Taylor something like 6k. Isn’t Naby our highest earner on something not much north of that?
  • Options
    Great news.......more so for Morgan. Davison is needed now but I don't see him playing much if we stay in the Championship. Hopefully get a development fee if he goes in the future.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Sadly, Elsie the tea lady was sacrificed. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I would imagine each would be on a basic of no more than £80,000 a year, with the hope of bonuses.

If Albi Morgan, at 20, signing his second professional contract for a Championship club (having played 13 games for us in The Championship this season), demonstrating the potential he has by his performance on Saturday, and being a starter in one of our most important games of the season, has agreed to £1600 a week then he desperately needs to find a new agent!

I may have been slightly off the mark with £4-5k pw but it will be at least double what you are suggesting, Seth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:

If Albi Morgan, at 20, signing his second professional contract for a Championship club (having played 13 games for us in The Championship this season), demonstrating the potential he has by his performance on Saturday, and being a starter in one of our most important games of the season, has agreed to £1600 a week then he desperately needs to find a new agent!

I may have been slightly off the mark with £4-5k pw but it will be at least double what you are suggesting, Seth.
    You may be right.
    I suppose I base it on current circumstances, but also what I heard about Dillon Phillips when he returned from his loan at Cheltenham.
    He was not a first teamer with us, and was also an academy graduate, and when he returned reportedly Cheltenham wanted to sign him, but we were, so I heard, awkward about letting him go (thankfully). What I heard then was Cheltenham were offering £1000 a week, but at Charlton he was obliged to stay on £600 a week.
    Now I know that was a few years ago, but it did surprise me then that Dillon was on such a low wage.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Really don’t know where the stories came from about Bow not liking or rating Albie. It was completely untrue and ridiculous. Bow rated him so highly, which is why he has been so direct in the past about needing to go out and learn the other side of the game, just like Bow did when he was younger. Albie has gone away, got extremely fit and lean, and come back so willing to learn and develop by the looks of things. That says a lot to Bow and am no surprised to see him sign a new contract.

Very good news on both Morgan and Davison. Excellent for the future. Personally don’t care where the money comes from, as long as they get paid, it’s good with me.
    In retrospect (especially given Karlan Grants form at the time) Bowyer was pretty canny in his dealings with Karlan, what with the Crawley loan and such. It suggests to me that Bowyer, along with Jacko and Gallen is pretty shrewd even with the younger guys.
  • Options
    Irrespective of the reasons, Bowyer failed to harness Fosu's obvious talent.
  • Options
    Let’s be clear. Bowyer wouldn’t have fcuked about with this. If he hadn’t seen real progress from Albie in recent weeks then this deal wouldn’t have happened. Fair play to him for knuckling down and bowyers tough love has clearly worked. Could have gone either way so I’m pleased. 
  • Options
    Excellent news.

Albie will have a very important role to play and I can see Davison getting a few chances from the bench if we have to force the issue. Hemed is also not really a 90 minute player and Josh Davison's physicality could give us another option.
  • Options
    Like Morgan he had talent. Unfortunately he could not develop further and I would suggest that given Bows success with so many players that the fault lay with the player. 

The failure to me is Fosu not Bows.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Like Morgan he had talent. Unfortunately he could not develop further and I would suggest that given Bows success with so many players that the fault lay with the player. 

It might not be that straight forward. All managers, however good or experienced, will have a player they fall out with for one reason or another, or one that doesn't fit in with their system

It's not as if Fosu took several years to get back to our level, within SIX months of leaving us he signed for a top 6 Championship side. Brentford wouldn't have signed him if they thought he was lazy or not a team player.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Fosu is starting at a club that will probably be in the prem next season. Not exactly a failure if u ask me
  • Options
    When we signed Fosu I suspect i wasn’t the only charlton fan that was asking how the fck did we manage to sign him. I suspect Oxford fans felt the same. Sometimes there are players that are great at first but there is something that means it’s not sustainable. Maybe it will be at Oxford. I guess we will see next season.