Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Beano or Dandy?

I mean, obviously Beano is the right answer.  

Right?

Comments

• Beano

• Yes. 

A better question is Whizzer and Chips or Buster?
  • (Whizzer and Chips)
  • Beano.  Still have all my comics. About 30+ years old now.
  • Yes. 

A better question is Whizzer and Chips or Buster?
    Buster
  • edited June 2020
    Bit of beano related trivia - when americans talk about dennis the menace, they're talking about a completely different dennis the menace that was actually created in the exact same month as the british one. Both creators had no idea about the other's creation at the time.
  • Beano just shades it ..... but always used to buy both.
  • Beano. Rarely read The Dandy
  • This was my  favourite. Anybody else remember it ? 

• Sponsored links:

• Beano every day. 
  • I got Beano, younger brother got Dandy. Preferred Beano. Then got "the big comic" (which I think came after whizzer and chips) and then the all time classic, Viz.
  • Beano every day. 
    I thought it was weekly?
  • Then there was the Beezer and Topper, as well.

I used to buy both of them from time to time, or do swapsies with my mates.

Beryl the Peril, haha. And the Numbskulls ...... I'm sure they really do live inside my head!

• Whizzer and chips and Roy of the Rovers

every Saturday as a kid. 
  • Beano, Dandy, Whizzer and Chips, Tiger, Roy of the Rovers, Beezer, Buster, Cor!. That was the weekend pretty much covered. Eagle was in there as well, but never really my thing.
  • Beano up to the age of about 8, then after a gap of about 6 years I returned to comics to read the mighty Viz.
  • Beano, Dandy, Whizzer and Chips, Tiger, Roy of the Rovers, Beezer, Buster, Cor!. That was the weekend pretty much covered. Eagle was in there as well, but never really my thing.
    Victor was a must read for me from about 10 years old. And remember TV 21 with Lady Penelope & Thunderbirds, Stingray, Fireball XL5 and My Favourite Martian?

My sisters bought Bimbo and Sparky, before upgrading to Bunty and Judy, with the cut out clothes on the back page.

Being a kid in the 1960s, eh?

• Beano,though some people used to call me a Dandy, well I think that is what they called me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Beano
  • Beano, Victor, Scorcher, NME
  • Beano. I remember Eric Clapton reading one on a John Mayall album.
  • Beano, Bash Street Kids, Dennis and Gnasher, Numbskulls were favourites, still get the Annual every year for Christmas as a weird little tradition
  • dickplumb said:
    Beano. I remember Eric Clapton reading one on a John Mayall album.

• My older brother and I started with Dandy and Beano, he then moved on to The Eagle before Playboy and as he moved on I had the choice he left behind. This was in the 50s
  • Cracking thread this.

In my view, (disregarding the themed or gender targeted comics like Victor, 2000AD, Roy of the Rovers, Bunty or Judy), there were 3 categories of comic -
    1 - The cheaper, more childish ones like Beano and Dandy (Published by DC Thomson,)
    2 - The bigger, More expensive with better quality jokes and darker humour like Whizzer and Chips, Buster, Krazy and Whoopee! (Published by Odhams, later IPC)
    3 - The midrange price, yet somehow lower quality ones where it seemed like writers and cartoonists did their apprenticeships, or maybe they just used as a place to sell their crappier strips, like Topper and Beezer.(Also DC Thomson)

I remember suddenly hitting a point where I realised I was only interested in the 2nd category because I thought the others were either too babyish or just shit.

Incidentally, there was an artist called Leo Baxendale who was highly influential in comic illustrations. (He was responsible for such creations as the Bash Street Kids, Minnie the Minx, Grimly Feendish and, my favourite, Sweeney Toddler). 
    He was the only illustrator at the time that gave the reader free little extra jokes, such as peripheral characters doing weird stuff in the background, dogs and cats showing comic reactions, and nice little touches like smelly socks lying abandoned in the road. All of these techniques are ten a penny now and it’s pretty much all down to him.
    He was also quite outspoken about how horrible DC Thomson were to work for - he walked out on them to work for Odham’s and helped set up new comics.

Anyway, in answer to the question:
    Beano or Dandy? Beano.
    But Buster, Krazy, Whizzer and Chips et al were FAR superior.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Beano, Dandy, Whizzer and Chips, Tiger, Roy of the Rovers, Beezer, Buster, Cor!. That was the weekend pretty much covered. Eagle was in there as well, but never really my thing.
    Victor was a must read for me from about 10 years old. And remember TV 21 with Lady Penelope & Thunderbirds, Stingray, Fireball XL5 and My Favourite Martian?

My sisters bought Bimbo and Sparky, before upgrading to Bunty and Judy, with the cut out clothes on the back page.

Being a kid in the 1960s, eh?

I was 80's! 
  • Beano.

However, I used to get TV Century 21 and my brother the one with The Trigan Empire in it - wonderful Don Lawrence artwork https://www.donlawrenceshop.com/en_GB/c-4192106/artwork/
  • Beano but always had the Beezer Annual for Christmas.