Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beano or Dandy?

Comments

• Options
    Dandy was for tards!
  • Options
    Dandy, because my big sister got Beano. Desperate Dan was my hero.
  • Options
    Dandy

I always wanted to choose less popular options which is why I ended up a Charlton supporter too.
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    The only decent character in the Dandy, imho.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    My sister got the Beano, I had Buster.

My dad always got the Beano Christmas annual every year until he passed away aged 76 last year.

Couldn't believe the price of the Beano when I saw one a couple of weeks ago - nearly 3 quid!
  • Options
    I always used to love a Beano
  • Options
    Bit of a common theme here it seems, my older brother got the Beano, I got the Dandy. I just waited til he had finished with his. Beano all day long.
  • Options
    Beano over Dandy but the Dandy would not be rejected if available.
    There used to be The Hotspur also, and for girls the Bunty, which I was happy to read too. No television in my life for at least the first 12 years, so I would read anything.
    The Forest Hill library, childrens section next to the swimming baths was heaven. Rosemary Sutcliffe and Henry Treece were particular favourites.
    Can you believe that some of us children used to get told off for reading too much (including using a torch under the bedclothes) now it is a challenge to get some children to read at all.
  • Options
    Alf Tupper Tough of The Track in Victor was my favourite.

Trained on fish and chips.
  • Options
    Beano of course, but read the Dandy too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To get back to the original question: Beano rather than Dandy for me by choice but would read whatever was available.
  • Options
    Beano. I'm another Century 21 guy though - as far as I know I am still a member of Spectrum.
  • Options
    Sometimes these comics had a free gift like some kind of triangular paper based thing that used to make a loud noise when whipcracked.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Sometimes these comics had a free gift like some kind of triangular paper based thing that used to make a loud noise when whipcracked.
    That would be enough for me to switch allegiances for a week! 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I remember him. Did he ever lose a race?

• Options
    Off_it said:
    LenGlover said:

I remember him. Did he ever lose a race?

He did but he'd win against the bloke the following week and say 'I run him' whilst eating one of his 14 chips ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Danny's Tranny in Topper I liked, Beano over Dandy but always Victor or Commando Magazine/Battle Picture Library first for me. 

Loved a christmas annual or summer special for the drive to Great Yarmouth in the 70s though

• Options
    As a kid in the ‘60s I more or less used to get them all because my dad worked in the print and either him (or his mates possibly) used to go round and pick up copies to bring home to me, usually mid-week. He was based in Long Acre, how that has changed, and the Covent Garden are was still the market.
  • Options
    Beano. Liked them both. And Topper. But Beano was the best. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    limeygent said:
    You having cow pie for dinner?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Thanks. I was going to ask if anyone remembered which comic Alf Tupper appeared in. Great character.
  • Options
    Whizzer & Chips. 

I didnt used to buy comics on a weekly basis but used to buy bundles of old ones at the local school/church/cubs fete's. Used to love buying 10 for £1 or whatever they were going for & spending the next week reading them all.

Cant remember which characters were in which comics but my favourites were The Numbskulls, Bash Street Kids & Knasher.
  • Options
    Alf Tupper used to arrive late and the other runners had already done one lap but he still beat them.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    limeygent said:
    Sorry, but I don't have a clue what this post means.
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    iaitch said:
    limeygent said:
    Sorry, but I don't have a clue what this post means.
    Eh? Desperate Dan and Cowpie are synonymous. He used to finish a caper by sitting down to eat an enormous pie with a pair of horns sticking out of it.
    Surely you remember that Limey?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Ah yes, I remember now. That was a very long time ago.

• Options
    I think around age 7 or 8, I graduated to The Eagle.
  • Options
    limeygent said:
    Ah yes, I remember now. That was a very long time ago.

About the time I got this.

• Options
    Used to get Buster mainly but also the Beezer.

Think Whizzer and Chips may have amalgamated with one of these?

Also faintly remember a comic called Jag which I don't think anyone has mentioned so far?