Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Leuth said:
    74 all out we ended up. I was a typically heroic 5 not out. Pitch a bit dodgy so in with a sniff. Tea is seriously testing various dietary resolves 
    At least the “74 all out” part is very believable 
  • Leuth said:
    3s meanwhile chasing 220. Managed to get 3 wickets in the end, all caught in the cordon between long-on and wide long-on. We're an encouraging 35-0 after 4 overs though. Ash on 32*, all in boundaries. He's also taken his phone to the middle so he can keep updating us between overs if he likes 
    Chasing 220 - also very believable 

Ash on 32*, all in boundaries - complete fantasy 
  • AshBurton said:
    Leuth said:
    74 all out we ended up. I was a typically heroic 5 not out. Pitch a bit dodgy so in with a sniff. Tea is seriously testing various dietary resolves 
    At least the “74 all out” part is very believable 
    Mate we're not the 3s
  • Drinks. After 18 overs they were 43-1, Stevo finally had one held (unsurprisingly by this Painey character, diving to where second slip would have been) but they were coasting. Then after two overs I was unceremoniously asked to take the gloves, and Painey was brought on. He took three in his first over. 47-4. Gonna be a tense one folks 
  • edited April 2020
    Out for not many.

Stood in the field, bored.

Wondered why I bother before remembering beer exists. 
  • Reflecting on what should have been the start of the season, I began to consider which grounds had been lucky for me down the years and which had made me wish I'd declared myself unavailable for selection.

As a batsman, I found it not only came down to the quality of the wicket, but also a feeling of being comfortable in the surroundings. My top 3s:

Happy hunting grounds:

The Mote (Absolute road and, going back a few years, completely different to anything else you'd bat on)
    Bromley Common (Underrated track and rapid outfield)
    Sidcup (Not sure why, but I always seemed to be lucky there)

Runless wonder:

Broadstairs (Don't like the ground or indeed the natives)
    Old Colfeians (Could never 'pick up' the ball from the hand. Negative mindset whenever I walked out to bat there)
    Downham & Bellingham (They try hard to make the ground decent, but I just don't rate it as a batting track)

What are your lucky/unlucky grounds?
  • Mates. 1-wicket defeat. Painey, after protesting that he hadn't bowled in two decades, took 8-14 off his 7.4 overs, but it wasn't enough. With them needing 2 to win, their last man hit it up in the air straight to Geth, who looked up at the ball, considered that this would have consigned his club record to history, and 'tripped' over his laces. Agony
  • edited April 2020
    But...in the absence of cricket, here's what I've really been doing 

• Reflecting on what should have been the start of the season, I began to consider which grounds had been lucky for me down the years and which had made me wish I'd declared myself unavailable for selection.

As a batsman, I found it not only came down to the quality of the wicket, but also a feeling of being comfortable in the surroundings. My top 3s:

Happy hunting grounds:

The Mote (Absolute road and, going back a few years, completely different to anything else you'd bat on)
    Bromley Common (Underrated track and rapid outfield)
    Sidcup (Not sure why, but I always seemed to be lucky there)

Runless wonder:

Broadstairs (Don't like the ground or indeed the natives)
    Old Colfeians (Could never 'pick up' the ball from the hand. Negative mindset whenever I walked out to bat there)
    Downham & Bellingham (They try hard to make the ground decent, but I just don't rate it as a batting track)

What are your lucky/unlucky grounds?
    Colfes is a bowler's track through and through. It helps we had the best seam attack in our division last year (all the guys offered something different and exciting), and a really happy hunting ground.

D&B has gotten worse the last couple of years. Paddy Powell stopped doing the ground but it did play really well until 2018 or so. Common is a road; Sidcup is not(!); not played at the Mote or Broadstairs myself as I'm not good enough to travel more than a couple of minutes outside the M25 for my cricket lol.

Even by 4s standards, New Ash Green is basically weaponised turf (got out to a length ball that I somehow gloved as it whistled past my nose); Holmesdale at the St Lawrence ground is a nice track with small boundaries; Sidcup/Wilsonians pretty standard (Colfes is about the same); but Orpington is easily the best track. We put on 252-2 in 40 overs on that top pitch last year, and they got 200 or so in reply. And that was in May. Rapid track.
  • Bang! Up went the finger for the first LBW of the season, and the idiot batter is not happy. It was a little leg side of middle, but would have hit two stumps. At tea I reminded the skippers of the requirement for them to manage their teams and for there to be no dissent whatsoever, or the player would be reported. It didn't have much affect as all I got 2nd innings was appeal after appeal every time the ball went anywhere near a pad, even if it was missing another set.  Do bowlers and fielders forget the laws over winter? At least I got my eye in...
  • Sponsored links:

• Got my wife’s nephew to play for us as he had a spare weekend. 

Quite impressed, might see if he can bowl for the 2nds next week 
  • Seems we'll be playing "imaginary" cricket for the duration:

The UK’s first secretary of state, Dominic Raab, has said that it is “very difficult” to see amateur outdoor sport being played in the UK this summer.

Talking on the Andrew Marr Show, Raab, when asked whether there was a chance of people being allowed to play sport outside this summer, said that it was “very difficult because of the level and scale of interaction,” casting further doubt over whether any recreational cricket will be played at all in England and Wales in 2020.

In the ECB’s announcement on Friday that stated that there would be no professional cricket in England and Wales until at least July 1, they also said that “the suspension of recreational cricket remains until further notice,” giving no indication as to when the suspension may be lifted.

Raab was less downbeat on the prospects of professional sport though, pointing to the increased scale of testing that could make professional sport possible. Raab added: “I think the professional sport may be different because of the scale of testing that they would be able to introduce.

“We do want to look, when it’s safe and when it’s possible, at ways to allow more outdoors activities to take place but again we’ve got to have the evidence that that’s a surefooted step and doesn’t allow coronavirus get a grip back on the country.”

• Laaaaame
  • I mean uh um I'm glad they're keeping us all safe. 

Fuuuuuuucksake 
  • Was thinking to Polo Farm today to watch the Kent 2nd X1 against Middlesex. Sadly it's been called off for the day already. It's not looking good for the weekend either so think that horse racing and following us at Leeds on the box will be the order of the afternoon. 
  • Statement from the ECB: 

“We are aware that the UK Government has announced changes that affect sport and physical activity in England, which are due to come into effect on Wednesday 13 May.

“We are expecting to receive further clarity from the UK government in the coming days and in turn we will share greater detail and guidelines with the game as soon as we are able.

“Our priority is to support our colleagues and clubs across the game to deliver elements of outdoor cricket in a responsible way that does not compromise safety. 

“We completely understand the level of patience that recreational players have had to demonstrate so far, and know that most will be desperate to return to the nets to practice. We ask for a little more time to plan out the best way to deliver this opportunity to everyone as safely as possible.

“The health and wellbeing of everyone in cricket remains our No.1 priority. We will share further updates towards the end of the week along with a support plan for our clubs to follow.’’

• Cause for optimism 
  • certainly won't be any slips or keeper behind the wicket, batsman's paradise
  • Sponsored links:

• Any news from Clubs re a restart?. We have Nets from June 1st but on a very strict appointment only basis and only 2 persons at a time. It seems a shame that we still can't open the Bar as one thing we can do in this weather is social distancing around the Clubhouse.
  • From the Kent thread:

No domestic professional cricket before 1st August. Possibility of recreational cricket before then with ECB discussing it with the Government.

Strange one that appears actually to have very little to do with safety. It seems that counties don't want to take their players off furlough with the possibility of no income as a result of having to play behind closed doors. 
  • Bit more here:

Chief executive Tom Harrison said the ECB is "hopeful of seeing both domestic and recreational cricket this season".

He added: "Whilst traditional formats of our competitions are the preference, we are not against exploring the unorthodox to ensure that we can return our players to the field."

Amateur cricket remains suspended until further notice, although net sessions are permitted if certain protocols are adhered to.

The ECB said any update on the recreational game could include an earlier return for junior cricket.

"As children start returning to school in the coming weeks, we look forward to exploring how those guidelines and learnings can be deployed for cricket," said Harrison.

"This can then see the recreational game continue its phased return as soon as we have government approval."

• I had a net at the weekend with my captain and we were discussing when we think it should return. At the moment I do think it’s abit too soon but can’t see no reason Not to resume In few weeks as lockdown gets easier .if you put extra measures in place for example turn up in whites, bring own lunches, slightly change umpire positions and minimise the close Social contact I really can’t see why it can’t be sooner rather than later or is this just me having tunnel vision because I miss it and want to get back on the field?!
  • Last I heard was that leagues were hoping to start beginning of July subject to acceptance of ecb guidelines etc 
  • Apologies if this isn't allowed (I will remove it if it is) But me and 4 of my mates that play for Dormansland Cricket Club (Mid Sussex League) are cycling over 100 miles to all the away ground that we would've been playing this season, to raise money for the cricket charity Chance To Shine. Any donations would be welcome and greatly appreciated! https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/dcc-boundary-riders?fbclid=IwAR2KJ_fdTMCzIyj6YaKF0SjeIqIwuA8W8ZvIMobHydJnsXfcnBRB3_mBjc0 Thanks guys!
  • Early July start unlikely 
  • lolwray said:
    Early July start unlikely 
    Indeed - the KCL statement very much suggests that. Hopefully we do manage to get at the very least a 6-8 week season and can play as many games as is humanly possible
  • The biggest problem I can see is away teams travelling to games. Unless they are very local, you won't get 11 separate cars driving, and sharing rides is an issue. I'm not in favour of a month of friendly round robin games just for the sake of it, and would prefer to extend the season to the end of September if that would allow half a season of league games (even without promotion/relegation).