Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:

It was the odd socks wot done it :) 
    Leuth is this you?
    I thought you had blonde hair for some reason (a photo in the crowd some years ago).
    Good bowling btw if it is you.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth is this you?
    I thought you had blonde hair for some reason (a photo in the crowd some years ago).
    If it is, his barnet is a lot shorter and why is he bowling instead of standing behind the stumps wearing the gloves? 😲
  • Options
    Hope he bought a jug! ;)

Well bowled.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Leuth said:

Leuth is this you?
    If it is, his barnet is a lot shorter and why is he bowling instead of standing behind the stumps wearing the gloves? 😲
    I don't know. I don't read this thread as such, just have a glance or two.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    RedChaser said:
    Leuth said:

Leuth is this you?
    I don't know. I don't read this thread as such, just have a glance or two.
    I don't either but recall a photo of him playing in goal for a CL? team and comments I thought he'd made about wicket keeping. Maybe I've just assumed goalkeepers also fancy themselves as a wicket keeper 🤷‍♂️.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Hope he bought a jug! ;)

Well bowled.
    He did - with a lot of pleasure! 
  • Options
    One of the worst examples of bent umpiring I've ever experienced robbing us yesterday at Hartley. Still absolutely furious. They needed 2 off the last ball with our left-arm chinaman bowler on; he landed the googly perfectly a foot outside off and it broke away past the bat, game over, and their umpire sticks his fucking arms out. Of course, we had a team of quiet, confrontation-avoidant types except for me so nobody else was really that fussed (on the surface) but after a close and exciting game, he decided the skill and bottle of the bowler wasn't enough and that he was going to cheat us out of it anyway

So in other words, I've had my annual outburst of the season 
  • Options
    Took our first father/son wicket when I opened bowling against Willow Herbs CC for South Loughton .
    Opening bat skying one and my 14 year old son was shitting himself but he held it with a slight attempt for the ball to pop out .
    Crap game , their skipper said they’d  like to bat and our skipper said no tossed up and we batted with 8 thirteen/fourteen year olds we should always be batting second
    we were 10 for 3 off 14 overs 

they chUcked it up as much as possible and we ended on 140-9 off 40 overs Iast wicket fell last ball I was the unused bat .

oppo got the runs with 10 overs spare and 1 wicket down with their opener (nickname scorer ) not out on about 5 and batsmen no.3 getting 100 with a boundary to win the match , I had him dropped on 0 !!

• Options
    Leuth said:
    One of the worst examples of bent umpiring I've ever experienced robbing us yesterday at Hartley. Still absolutely furious. They needed 2 off the last ball with our left-arm chinaman bowler on; he landed the googly perfectly a foot outside off and it broke away past the bat, game over, and their umpire sticks his fucking arms out. Of course, we had a team of quiet, confrontation-avoidant types except for me so nobody else was really that fussed (on the surface) but after a close and exciting game, he decided the skill and bottle of the bowler wasn't enough and that he was going to cheat us out of it anyway

The gentleman in question wasn't in his 80s and walks with a limp was he?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see Bexley won the toss for home advantage in the Corona cup final against Bromley this Saturday. Should be a close game. 11am start. I guess Yasir Arafat wIll be back from his commentating duties with BBC (he only told the skipper on Friday that he couldn't make the semi due to being in Manchester bubble all week!). Sam Smith comes into the game with consecutive hundreds and his opening partner has a ton and 78 in the last two games, so that's the key to the match. Bexley have a decent and tight bowling attack so it could be interesting. I'm going to pop along to watch from early afternoon if the weather is reasonable. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:

JRK has just told me his version of this and couldn't stop laughing while regaling me! Though it must be said, he completely agrees with you.

For those who don't know Jonny, he's our 1s skipper and one of the nicest blokes you'll ever meet. So if he's aggrieved it's justified!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    I see Bexley won the toss for home advantage in the Corona cup final against Bromley this Saturday. Should be a close game. 11am start. I guess Yasir Arafat wIll be back from his commentating duties with BBC (he only told the skipper on Friday that he couldn't make the semi due to being in Manchester bubble all week!). Sam Smith comes into the game with consecutive hundreds and his opening partner has a ton and 78 in the last two games, so that's the key to the match. Bexley have a decent and tight bowling attack so it could be interesting. I'm going to pop along to watch from early afternoon if the weather is reasonable. 
    Bexley won their T20 group decider today against Dartford - having been 6-4!!! They managed 132 thanks, in the main, to Matt Stiddard's 67 which Dartford never looked like getting. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Leuth said:

JRK has just told me his version of this and couldn't stop laughing while regaling me! Though it must be said, he completely agrees with you.

For those who don't know Jonny, he's our 1s skipper and one of the nicest blokes you'll ever meet. So if he's aggrieved it's justified!
    Oh.. and Jonny got his second successive Sunday ton - and his third of this truncated season. 

At 20 overs, given the massive boundaries, lush and damp outfield and a sluggish wicket, Jonny and Ash Jr had failed to register a single boundary between them but despite this, had advanced the score to 75-0, both in a dead heat at 34 not out.

Wise sage that I am, I predicted aloud to the assembled crowd (my teammates and the Help for Heroes guy reclining in a deckchair, only later to wreak havoc with the fair outcome) that Jonny would turn this basis into 100+ not out from the full 40 overs and Ash Jr would do well to watch and learn from this. And so it proved. 

As for the @Leuth outburst, I guess I am indeed “a quiet, confrontation-avoidant type“ by comparison. Up to then, it had been the epitome of a good humoured, fun and close-fought Sunday friendly. 
  • Options
    Jonny was, of course, in the runs today as well. A chanceless 100* in the process of the Waggoners piling on 286-0 (well, two retirees) in 40 overs. Beckenham's incredibly youthful side did well to put together 216-7 in response, but we simply had too many on the board.

While I'm glad to see Jonny get runs, I'm personally absolutely bloody delighted to see my mate Kieran get his maiden ton today. He brought it up with a maximum. At 26, he's always been a decent batsman but never one to kick on for scores beyond 80-odd (has always had the odd lapse in concentration). But he's looked so good mentally this year and I'm so, so happy for him. A richly deserved ton and hopefully the first of many.
  • Options
    That’s great news
  • Options
    I had a chat with Kieran last week after his 49 against us. Seemed resigned to professional jug avoidance. Glad he's beyond that, it really was a millstone 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I had a chat with Kieran last week after his 49 against us. Seemed resigned to professional jug avoidance. Glad he's beyond that, it really was a millstone 
    Definitely a pro jug avoider if he told you his 50 was a 49!
  • Options
    Haha oh wait, he thought it was 49 when I spoke to him and it was then revised up later 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T20 QF yesterday:

Broadstairs 110-9
    Minster 93 all out

Minster's team included Sean Ervine, James Thompson, Kai Appelby, David Masters, Daniel Masters, Chris Piesley and Aamir Raza (from Bromley)

• Options
    @Addick Addict is Seb playing on Sunday mate? If so he will be served some absolute pies courtesy of yours truly!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    @Addick Addict is Seb playing on Sunday mate? If so he will be served some absolute pies courtesy of yours truly!
    Seb was going to play as he has done so for Sidcup every Sunday this season but, fortunately or unfortunately for him, he's been selected to play for the Kent Academy in a 50 over game against Middlesex at Beckenham. He's currently trialling for next year's Kent U18s and we assume that this call up is an extension of that. Sam Smith, the Bromley captain, who averages 93 this season, is also in the side and Michael Atherton's son, Josh de Caires, who has just secured a three year contract at Middlesex, may well be playing for them.

Hope you have a great game and if SP is playing for you please do send him my regards.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Seb was going to play as he has done so for Sidcup every Sunday this season but, fortunately or unfortunately for him, he's been selected to play for the Kent Academy in a 50 over game against Middlesex at Beckenham. He's currently trialling for next year's Kent U18s and we assume that this call up is an extension of that. Sam Smith, the Bromley captain, who averages 93 this season, is also in the side and Michael Atherton's son, Josh de Caires, who has just secured a three year contract at Middlesex, may well be playing for them.

Hope you have a great game and if SP is playing for you please do send him my regards.
    All the best Seb! And Paj is indeed playing. Last time out he said (and I quote): "Aaaahhh, yeeeeaaahh, old Addick Addict, he got any tips for the old, ah, 'orses?"

I assume he says similar on Sunday!
  • Options
    Absolutely bizarre today. Playing Bexley 6s and they were 26-4 at drinks. One guy took 37 balls to get off the mark. Spoon-fed them to 132 all out. At one point my second change bowler had FIVE slips and still went at less than 4 an over!

• Options
    Just taken a look at both weekend cards @PaddyP17

Bexley Saturday - must admit that I had to check my eyesight as the skipper opening the batting was a bit of a shock! I always thought he was a bowler and having looked at his batting stats I've seen nothing to change that view - 56 runs from 35 innings including 18 ducks  and an average of 2.24 has done very little to change that perception! The number 7 who top scored hasn't been out this season and I'm sure there must have been a reason for the number 9, who used to open the batting, for being in that position especially as he didn't bowl. At least Bexley put out their usual 6th XI and resisted filling it with players who didn't have a game from higher up the club. With figures of 8-3-10-2 you must have been unplayable! Well done on opening it out and making a game of it. Proper game management.

Sidcup Sunday - looks like you had a decent game. Great to see father and son opening for Sidcup especially as they are both fantastic club people. I used to play with Dad (well occasionally as he was a 2s player and I used to be in the 3s) - he was for 30 years the bobby on the beat in the Peckham area bit is now a cricket coach with chance to shine. Also pleasing to see the lad who hit 73 as his batting has really come on - before this year his lifetime average was less than 7 but has hit two 50s now and averages 32 for the season. A reward for all his hard work and persistence and not just with the bat either - he took 5-20 for the 1s last week! You also faced the slowest hand grenade bowler on the circuit since I played some 45 years ago with a certain Dr Walter Bennett (taught Mick Jagger at Dartford Grammar) who the Club eventually had to ban when in he was in his 70s as he became a danger to his own keeper - if the ball down the leg side being smacked by the batsman wasn't going to get him then the bat certainly would! Notwithstanding that, Dr Bennett just could not let go and as a Surrey member he used to carry his bag in the boot - just in case the county was one short! It seems that, unlike Saturday, you may have "bought" your wickets?
  • Options

Bexley Saturday - must admit that I had to check my eyesight as the skipper opening the batting was a bit of a shock! I always thought he was a bowler and having looked at his batting stats I've seen nothing to change that view - 56 runs from 35 innings including 18 ducks  and an average of 2.24 has done very little to change that perception! The number 7 who top scored hasn't been out this season and I'm sure there must have been a reason for the number 9, who used to open the batting, for being in that position especially as he didn't bowl. At least Bexley put out their usual 6th XI and resisted filling it with players who didn't have a game from higher up the club. With figures of 8-3-10-2 you must have been unplayable! Well done on opening it out and making a game of it. Proper game management.

Sidcup Sunday - looks like you had a decent game. Great to see father and son opening for Sidcup especially as they are both fantastic club people. I used to play with Dad (well occasionally as he was a 2s player and I used to be in the 3s) - he was for 30 years the bobby on the beat in the Peckham area bit is now a cricket coach with chance to shine. Also pleasing to see the lad who hit 73 as his batting has really come on - before this year his lifetime average was less than 7 but has hit two 50s now and averages 32 for the season. A reward for all his hard work and persistence and not just with the bat either - he took 5-20 for the 1s last week! You also faced the slowest hand grenade bowler on the circuit since I played some 45 years ago with a certain Dr Walter Bennett (taught Mick Jagger at Dartford Grammar) who the Club eventually had to ban when in he was in his 70s as he became a danger to his own keeper - if the ball down the leg side being smacked by the batsman wasn't going to get him then the bat certainly would! Notwithstanding that, Dr Bennett just could not let go and as a Surrey member he used to carry his bag in the boot - just in case the county was one short! It seems that, unlike Saturday, you may have "bought" your wickets?
    So on Saturday, I think the skipper just wanted to give himself a bit of a bat. Fair enough - I've been tempted to do the same for myself this year, but have thus far resisted! As for the number 9 - he was meant to umpire, but one of the younger lads went home ill, so he stepped in to bat and field in black tracksuit bottoms (that at least were Bexley-branded!). I bowled probably the best I have done in some time - but when Ben and I had Bexley 11-3 off 11 overs I had to take us off. I think your skipper was a bit dubious as to whether that was our genuine 4th XI, but with the exception of our keeper (who came in on the Friday after a late dropout, and is our 1s captain, and was literally the only keeper available at the time, and who didn't bat), it really was. We just happened to bowl very, very well in large parts. And we were 46-4 at one point!

Sunday - it ended up running a lot closer than it should have been! I had no idea they were father and son - especially with such a massive height disparity! They both used their feet well toward me and I suspect they've probably played/do play at a slightly higher standard than I do. Adam is a very tidy cricketer. His bowling action is awkward but it's on the spot nearly every ball. We faced him off pretty well though. And his batting - after early nerves he settled well, though there was some fairly buffet bowling! As for me - I was brought on in the 7th over to try and temper things a tad, which I succeeded in doing, but then your number 4 (young lad who times the pants off it while looking very suspect in terms of action!) hit me for a few shots out of nowhere. Got him with the quicker one leg before though, so it was nice winning that mini duel!

Simon says hello, and he told me some sort of story about the Evening Standard conning you out of £50k which amused me!
  • Options
    "You also faced the slowest hand grenade bowler on the circuit since I played some 45 years ago with a certain Dr Walter Bennett (taught Mick Jagger at Dartford Grammar)"

I apologise for breaking into your thread, but Wally Bennett's name brought back a few memories. He used to umpire for the DGS school team sometimes. He also taught German, and he always had terrible difficulty getting enough students together for his A level German course. He used to go around trying to persuade random students to take it from scratch at age 16. He asked me, and I remember thinking, "don't talk daft, when will I ever need German?". I wish I'd listened to him, having moved here, to Vienna, over forty years ago, without a word of German.

I used to play, and captain, Phoenix Sports, based in Barnehurst, years and years ago, so reading your comments about grounds and teams I've played on and against brings back many happy memories. Phoenix seem to have given up on cricket, and only have football teams now. A great shame!

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

So on Saturday, I think the skipper just wanted to give himself a bit of a bat. Fair enough - I've been tempted to do the same for myself this year, but have thus far resisted! As for the number 9 - he was meant to umpire, but one of the younger lads went home ill, so he stepped in to bat and field in black tracksuit bottoms (that at least were Bexley-branded!). I bowled probably the best I have done in some time - but when Ben and I had Bexley 11-3 off 11 overs I had to take us off. I think your skipper was a bit dubious as to whether that was our genuine 4th XI, but with the exception of our keeper (who came in on the Friday after a late dropout, and is our 1s captain, and was literally the only keeper available at the time, and who didn't bat), it really was. We just happened to bowl very, very well in large parts. And we were 46-4 at one point!

Sunday - it ended up running a lot closer than it should have been! I had no idea they were father and son - especially with such a massive height disparity! They both used their feet well toward me and I suspect they've probably played/do play at a slightly higher standard than I do. Adam is a very tidy cricketer. His bowling action is awkward but it's on the spot nearly every ball. We faced him off pretty well though. And his batting - after early nerves he settled well, though there was some fairly buffet bowling! As for me - I was brought on in the 7th over to try and temper things a tad, which I succeeded in doing, but then your number 4 (young lad who times the pants off it while looking very suspect in terms of action!) hit me for a few shots out of nowhere. Got him with the quicker one leg before though, so it was nice winning that mini duel!

Simon says hello, and he told me some sort of story about the Evening Standard conning you out of £50k which amused me!
    That was a long long time ago (we are talking 30 years) but yes I did feel that I was conned.

Without wishing to bore too many on here, the ES ran a racing comp which took the form of you selecting a jockey and trainer each day which you updated by phoning up a premium rate number. I was comfortably winning the comp but the ES decided in the final week of the comp to spice things up (and of course increase their revenue) by announcing some 48 hours or so before Royal Ascot that all races at the meeting would now be double points. As a result of that I ended up coming 3rd and was beaten by a matter of two or three points by the winner - so received nothing instead of the £50k as a result!

This change was not in the original rules of the competition so I complained and even took it to a solicitor to look at. The ES had a get out clause in terms and conditions which basically said that they reserved the right to move the goalposts as they saw fit!

So I gave up the cause but my woes didn't end there because I had a lot of explaining to do, when the telephone bill came in, to my first wife!
  • Options
    "You also faced the slowest hand grenade bowler on the circuit since I played some 45 years ago with a certain Dr Walter Bennett (taught Mick Jagger at Dartford Grammar)"

I apologise for breaking into your thread, but Wally Bennett's name brought back a few memories. He used to umpire for the DGS school team sometimes. He also taught German, and he always had terrible difficulty getting enough students together for his A level German course. He used to go around trying to persuade random students to take it from scratch at age 16. He asked me, and I remember thinking, "don't talk daft, when will I ever need German?". I wish I'd listened to him, having moved here, to Vienna, over forty years ago, without a word of German.

I used to play, and captain, Phoenix Sports, based in Barnehurst, years and years ago, so reading your comments about grounds and teams I've played on and against brings back many happy memories. Phoenix seem to have given up on cricket, and only have football teams now. A great shame!

Great story and please don't feel that you shouldn't comment on this thread - I'm sure I speak for most of us on here in saying that we enjoy as much off as we do on the field club cricket stories