Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Sorry AA, I have just seen you said "slowest hand grenade bowler on the circuit" - no, as slow as NJ is, he is NOTHING on Geth, who went 8-2-22-2 on Saturday.

That said, he was hugely aided by the Bexley batsman who took thirty-six balls to get off the mark. Geth bowls at I think 15mph tops, if not slower, and this guy just kept trying to whack him out the park and either clothing it or missing. Meanwhile, the number 5 came in and was calmly patting Geth's straight full tosses straight back to him. Truly bizarre.
  • edited September 2020
    PaddyP17 said:
    Sorry AA, I have just seen you said "slowest hand grenade bowler on the circuit" - no, as slow as NJ is, he is NOTHING on Geth, who went 8-2-22-2 on Saturday.

That said, he was hugely aided by the Bexley batsman who took thirty-six balls to get off the mark. Geth bowls at I think 15mph tops, if not slower, and this guy just kept trying to whack him out the park and either clothing it or missing. Meanwhile, the number 5 came in and was calmly patting Geth's straight full tosses straight back to him. Truly bizarre.
    It is that thing that the batsman has to put everything on the ball to even get just a single. Walter Bennett used to get loads of wickets from 14 year olds trying to do that or charging down the track and not being able to count to 10 before it reached them. The clever ones do what I said used to terrify keepers when Walter bowled which is to turn round the minute it drifts down leg and whack it behind them!

I can't tell you how many times the other bowlers used to get really wound up charging in for the batsmen to play and miss umpteen times only to then see Walter come on and witness them give it up to one of his hand grenades in his very first over!

I have to laugh at talking about Walter, NJ and Geth because I just know that Seb would hate facing that far more than the Middlesex 2s bowler he had to see off who was bowling at speeds up to 85mph on Sunday. There is no upside whatsoever in doing so and that goes for every batsmen that has to face that type of bowling, not just Seb and is also probably why the Bexley batsman took 36 balls to get off the mark.
  • The infamous Baltic/Balkan derby ?

• PaddyP17 said:
    Sorry AA, I have just seen you said "slowest hand grenade bowler on the circuit" - no, as slow as NJ is, he is NOTHING on Geth, who went 8-2-22-2 on Saturday.

It is that thing that the batsman has to put everything on the ball to even get just a single. Walter Bennett used to get loads of wickets from 14 year olds trying to do that or charging down the track and not being able to count to 10 before it reached them. The clever ones do what I said used to terrify keepers when Walter bowled which is to turn round the minute it drifts down leg and whack it behind them!

I can't tell you how many times the other bowlers used to get really wound up charging in for the batsmen to play and miss umpteen times only to then see Walter come on and witness them give it up to one of his hand grenades in his very first over!

I have to laugh at talking about Walter, NJ and Geth because I just know that Seb would hate facing that far more than the Middlesex 2s bowler he had to see off who was bowling at speeds up to 85mph on Sunday. There is no upside whatsoever in doing so and that goes for every batsmen that has to face that type of bowling, not just Seb and is also probably why the Bexley batsman took 36 balls to get off the mark.
    Yeah, the batter has to generate all the power. And you've got so much time that about four shots go through your mind and you then get cleaned up or stumped!

While I appreciate that it's hardly constructive competitive cricket, at my level of the game, people like Walter/NJ/Geth are often useful bowlers to have. They will buy wickets - and Geth's club record figures of 9/53 prove thus. Equally, some guys are there for the love of the game and might not be capable of much more: Geth's shoulder is completely knackered so he literally can't do much more than he does, and he can't bat because he also has dyspraxia. But he is a lovely bloke and great asset to have in the team!
  • Geth currently sits alongside Paddy as leading OC's wicket-taker this year. I mean, if you ignore the dull bastard whose girlfriend left him and who dealt with it by playing twice a week every week
  • Is that you Leuth ?

what about the blog ?
  • The blog remains a happy document of an era!
  • edited September 2020
    Leuth said:
    The blog remains a happy document of an era! error
    It was the odd socks that did it....
  • PaddyP17 said:
    In what can only be described as "happening", my mate is standing as an umpire for a T20I between Estonia and Montenegro. He just happens to work out in Montenegro and one of the umpires fell ill this morning, so he's gone to watch and as the only person in the crowd of about 10 who knows the rules, was then asked if he could umpire!
    Montenegro win by one wicket! Estonia's 74 all out just about reached.
  • Sponsored links:

• PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    In what can only be described as "happening", my mate is standing as an umpire for a T20I between Estonia and Montenegro. He just happens to work out in Montenegro and one of the umpires fell ill this morning, so he's gone to watch and as the only person in the crowd of about 10 who knows the rules, was then asked if he could umpire!
    Seb qualifies through his grandparents to play for Hungary. He could probably get in their team right now - but then so could I in reality!
  • PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Seb qualifies through his grandparents to play for Hungary. He could probably get in their team right now - but then so could I in reality!

Might not be the case. There are a lot of Indian restaurants in Budapest. The best players in Austria now are all from India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. I don't think they are so strict about your nationality on the Continent. Residency is more important.

If you look up Belgium in the link below you will see that Belgium played The Netherlands for De Telegraaf Cup years ago. I played four times for Belgium when I worked there. We even beat them once.

• Talk to us @Leuth

I liked your ex pieces blogs as intense as they were 

I've knocked club cricket on the head for good, too many dickheads involved who refuse to bowl in nets and do stupid things with the bat on game day 

I'll play in charity games or help a friend in need but the club can go fuck itself 

• Oh which club? Spilllll
  • MrOneLung said:
    Sasa?
    We have a winner! Sasa Ilic indeed!
  • It appears that the Sussex Cricket League have voted by 111-89 at their AGM for there not to be an obligation on clubs to provide teas next season. There will still be a 30 minute break between innings and clubs will have to provide hot and cold drinks. It appears that any club not represented on the Zoom call was deemed to vote in favour of the resolution to remove the obligation.

Is this the end of teas?
  • It appears that the Sussex Cricket League have voted by 111-89 at their AGM for there not to be an obligation on clubs to provide teas next season. There will still be a 30 minute break between innings and clubs will have to provide hot and cold drinks. It appears that any club not represented on the Zoom call was deemed to vote in favour of the resolution to remove the obligation.

Is this the end of teas?
    That's so sad. The last sentence - that any club not on the call is assumed to have wanted to remove teas - is a bit ridiculous though (though I don't know if it would have made a difference?). 

I really hope we keep them in Kent. Speaking of which, we've had some KRCL rule change proposals sent to us:

- Changing from 80 overs to 40/40 overs (I'm in favour of the latter)
    - 40 overs as a minimum game duration (personally would prefer 48 overs/24 a side but that's by the by)
    - Change in bowling allocations: 10 each to 9 each. I would prefer 8 per bowler but then @AshBurton laid a good argument for 9 when I spoke to him.
    - Fielding restrictions! I'd like to see them implemented, in some way, in the lower reaches. Too often have I seen games killed by negative fielding captains putting nine men out on the boundary when the opposition need, say, ten an over.
    - I hope start times stay the same, for the sake of those who work Saturday mornings, but suspect OCCC will be in the minority there.

Dunno what anyone else might think.
  • I played grass roots cricket for years but could never understand why we couldn't start earlier rather than 2.30.   Loved playing but frustrated when I was in my 20s/30s and a game was meandering to a dusky Saturday evening draw whilst my mates were out on it.
    We had situations where players had to leave mid innings, and an incident where a wife turned up to drag a player home as they were meant to be going out.
    The Saturday morning working argument applies also to those working Saturday night. 
    Without wishing to insult anyone I always felt the 2.30 starts favoured those without much of a social life.  Shopping, cricket, two pints of old thumper to talk about the history of the clubs batting averages being wrong (his should read 4.1 instead of 4.2), and then home to practice a forward defensive in front of the mirror.  Just my view :-) 

• Sponsored links:

• Definitely want earlier starts but I'm sure someone said to me too much moisture in the wickets earlier on in the day
  • Definitely want earlier starts but I'm sure someone said to me too much moisture in the wickets earlier on in the day
    The KCL top divisions start at 12.00pm. They can't really start much earlier by virtue of the travelling/warm up time required - Sandwich have to come up to Bexley, Beckenham, Bromley, Bickley and Blackheath whereas Sidcup have trips to Minster, Folkestone, St Lawrence & Highland Court and Canterbury. These are 50 over matches.

The KRCL games of 40 over a side and I would suggest that they should start at 1.00pm? There is less travelling than the KCL so it would still mean some people could work on a Saturday morning but would also mean that games should, in theory, be over by say 6.50pm at the latest so for those that had commitments in the evening could, mostly, make those. And that assumes that the game runs its full course.
    11am starts during Covid-season were common...just saying.
  • 1905 said:
    I played grass roots cricket for years but could never understand why we couldn't start earlier rather than 2.30.   Loved playing but frustrated when I was in my 20s/30s and a game was meandering to a dusky Saturday evening draw whilst my mates were out on it.
    We had situations where players had to leave mid innings, and an incident where a wife turned up to drag a player home as they were meant to be going out.
    The Saturday morning working argument applies also to those working Saturday night. 
    Without wishing to insult anyone I always felt the 2.30 starts favoured those without much of a social life.  Shopping, cricket, two pints of old thumper to talk about the history of the clubs batting averages being wrong (his should read 4.1 instead of 4.2), and then home to practice a forward defensive in front of the mirror.  Just my view :-) 
    The appointed start time is 1.30pm and has been all my cricketing life - when did you play that start times were 2.30pm?! The appointed end time to the evening is usually 3am after a night out with the squad! So much for no social life!
    The KCL top divisions start at 12.00pm. They can't really start much earlier by virtue of the travelling/warm up time required - Sandwich have to come up to Bexley, Beckenham, Bromley, Bickley and Blackheath whereas Sidcup have trips to Minster, Folkestone, St Lawrence & Highland Court and Canterbury. These are 50 over matches.

The KRCL games of 40 over a side and I would suggest that they should start at 1.00pm? There is less travelling than the KCL so it would still mean some people could work on a Saturday morning but would also mean that games should, in theory, be over by say 6.50pm at the latest so for those that had commitments in the evening could, mostly, make those. And that assumes that the game runs its full course.
    I don't think 1pm is the worst idea personally, but teams already have this as an option, so I see no need to make it compulsory.
  • A night out with 10 other cricketers ………………. sounds fun!
  • PaddyP17 said:
    1905 said:
    I played grass roots cricket for years but could never understand why we couldn't start earlier rather than 2.30.   Loved playing but frustrated when I was in my 20s/30s and a game was meandering to a dusky Saturday evening draw whilst my mates were out on it.
    The appointed start time is 1.30pm and has been all my cricketing life - when did you play that start times were 2.30pm?! The appointed end time to the evening is usually 3am after a night out with the squad! So much for no social life!
    Sunday friendlies always started at 2.30pm when I played. Saturdays tended to be 2pm which was marginally better but should have been 1.30pm if not 1pm.
  • edited November 2020
    I am being very tongue in cheek.  I have met some good mates through Cricket, except @Stone and @Steve Dowman