Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• They're still not tbf
  • PaddyP17 said:
    ... Were runs just not a thing back in the day, then?
    Crappy park pitches didn't help! At Avery Hill you never knew if it would break your ankle or your head! We also had a very youthful bowling attack. The other thing was that very few played like they do today, in T20 mode, and with draws being available, you did get games where a team would just block out the last 20 overs...or try to!
  • They still play at Avery Hill Park,even with my limited ability I wouldn't fancy playing there.
  • They still play at Avery Hill Park,even with my limited ability I wouldn't fancy playing there.
    That's one of the major problems with cricket in a light-hearted quip. You need a decent square which costs money to acquire and then to support the upkeep. 
    That's one of the major problems with cricket in a light-hearted quip. You need a decent square which costs money to acquire and then to support the upkeep. 
    Very True,The pitch at LESSA was ok and was kept in reasonable nick.
  • Anyone else been able to fashion a cricket pitch (or at least place to bowl) in their back garden? My neighbours have been treated to an exhibition of right-arm round-the-washing-line over the last few days. I feel this approach should stand me in good stead if the season suddenly leaps into being come July #nick
  • edited April 2020
    Hillingdon Council have just given my club £10k. We didn't even ask for it but it came through as a Business Grant and was very welcome. Not least because we are paying our groundsman full wages for at least the next couple of months (he's now able to do a load of work on the three squares that we couldn't do because of the wet September/October). 
  • Leuth said:
    Anyone else been able to fashion a cricket pitch (or at least place to bowl) in their back garden? My neighbours have been treated to an exhibition of right-arm round-the-washing-line over the last few days. I feel this approach should stand me in good stead if the season suddenly leaps into being come July #nick
    Not sure if you were on the email chains at all but the season is now confirmed as abandoned until 4th July (or 11th depending on how the fixtures are). There have been a few adjustments but none for us, I think.

A real shame. Hopefully we can get a load of cricket in eventually.
  • Leuth said:
    Still got some beef to shift before the July season start...
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    Full and wide of off. Thankfully, the first half of the season has been abandoned, just to reiterate...
  • edited April 2020
    That is the classic lured-into-drive sucker ball I'll have you know! As for Pedro I am holding in my tongue & dignity (if not my stomach) :'(
  • Pies being delivered and eaten there by the looks of it 
  • Look, I could have gotten Charlton Aesthetic to keep filming over and over again until I hit the 'stumps' but we really didn't have all day
  • Nice delivery action louis ..reckon you need to follow through a bit more but maybe the washing line and a bit of concrete at short mid off is hindering you 
  • If you can't turn it on that bunsen burner you won't be able to turn it anywhere!
  • I'll admit that some twig-assisted deliveries have given me unreasonable expectations. Round the wicket, pitching a foot outside off, hitting leg. You've all been (not) warned
  • Pies being delivered and eaten there by the looks of it 
    To be fair, the rest of our spin attack is very pie-friendly also. Our weight adds a gravitational pull to help with a bit of drift and flight. Theoretically.
  • I've accidentally said Adam Riley is accusing Bromley Common of cheating in a Twitter poll, @Addick Addict tell him and Bexley I don't mean it! Haha. All sorts of drama:

• That said, someone's commented about Bexley and "much needed funds". Hold on. There are clubs being driven out of existence on the regular, while the Bexley colts section is ever-growing, so that takes the mick a little.
  • Sponsored links:

• Seriously, I'm as socially-responsible as the next man but if it comes July and we're not freed yet I'm googling "renegade club cricket league UK"
  • Our 4s legspinner is kind of exactly that tbf
  • Leuth said:
    Our 4s legspinner is kind of exactly that tbf
    Ahh, good old Robbie. He's also an excellent (i.e. professional) jazz drummer, reads Nabokov while padded up, and has nearly no idea how to bat. Unplayable spinner when in a rhythm though.

Classic.
  • Does he call his special ball a paradiddle?
  • seth plum said:
    Does he call his special ball a paradiddle?
    Only if it comes out of the ruff
  • Seb might not be keeping much this summer (even if we do play) but, as part of his PE "A" Level he needs to be assessed,  by way of film footage, on any two from batting, bowling and keeping. 

On Monday we tried filming some keeping in what was his first hard ball session following his thumb injury over six months ago. Here are a couple of minutes of highlights (any drops were, of course, edited out unlike his hay fever sniffles!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-215S1AK60

• He looks razor sharp !
    tell me your arm fell off afterwards , mine is in a constant state of ruinedness from bowling and lobbing balls at the kids the last few weeks 
  • He looks razor sharp !
    tell me your arm fell off afterwards , mine is in a constant state of ruinedness from bowling and lobbing balls at the kids the last few weeks 
    It's funny you should say that because I was in a bit of discomfort afterwards. Due to a long standing elbow injury I can't actually under arm the ball for bobble feeds with my right arm but can throw OK as long as it's not more than a distance of 10 yards!