Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    After seven years at Bexley, Seb is leaving for pastures new. A desperately difficult decision for the lad especially as there has been no fall out with Bexley whatsoever - he just wants to become a batsman first and keeper second.

Pleased to say that we have had loads of best wishes from players, officials and parents alike at Bexley even if a bit of disappointment has been expressed by some and a few others that have questioned the decision. He and I will continue to be social members.

We deliberately didn't approach another club prior to telling Bexley but did have one in mind that we felt might offer Seb the opportunities he's looking for and that is Sidcup who he will now be joining. Ultimately, he will be trying to secure himself a place in the first team but the most important thing for him right now is that he gets a prominent batting position for whichever team he is selected for and that there is an obvious pathway to achieving that goal.

Sidcup 1s were promoted last season to Division 1 alongside the aforementioned Minster - the difference being that Sidcup don't pay anyone, haven't an overseas and most of the players have come through their Colts system. I played for the Club for over 30 years (although only ever at 3rd team level) and I am looking forward to renewing acquaintances albeit that some of those that I did play with have now left or, sadly, "shuffled off this mortal coil".

I think he 'll do well at sidcup, just right for him 
  • Options
    Should've come to Colfes and played in our 1s. We could do with the batting, especially as we play on an absolute minefield of a deck...!!

All the best to Seb and hope he flourishes. 
  • Options
    After seven years at Bexley, Seb is leaving for pastures new. A desperately difficult decision for the lad especially as there has been no fall out with Bexley whatsoever - he just wants to become a batsman first and keeper second.

Pleased to say that we have had loads of best wishes from players, officials and parents alike at Bexley even if a bit of disappointment has been expressed by some and a few others that have questioned the decision. He and I will continue to be social members.

We deliberately didn't approach another club prior to telling Bexley but did have one in mind that we felt might offer Seb the opportunities he's looking for and that is Sidcup who he will now be joining. Ultimately, he will be trying to secure himself a place in the first team but the most important thing for him right now is that he gets a prominent batting position for whichever team he is selected for and that there is an obvious pathway to achieving that goal.

Sidcup 1s were promoted last season to Division 1 alongside the aforementioned Minster - the difference being that Sidcup don't pay anyone, haven't an overseas and most of the players have come through their Colts system. I played for the Club for over 30 years (although only ever at 3rd team level) and I am looking forward to renewing acquaintances albeit that some of those that I did play with have now left or, sadly, "shuffled off this mortal coil".

Good luck to Seb and I hope he enjoys his cricket at Sidcup.
    My only reservation would be the standard of the main square at Crescent Farm.
    I used to love batting there many years ago, but some of our lads at ODs reckon it's a bit variable to stay the least.
    Thoughts?

Think the squares are pretty ok both sides ...gets a bit dusty when it's dry and always a bit tricky batting into the sun in the evening 
  • Options
    Sam Lockwood seems to be scoring shed loads of runs for Sidcup 1s so it can’t be that bad 
  • Options
    Gammysnr said:

Good to hear Seb is doing well. I'm the U15a manager at Bexley and we've not been introduced as Charlton fans!! Beer in order!!!
    Thanks and we will definitely have to have one next time I'm at Manor Way. To think we sat together in all those Colts meetings and never declared our allegiance!
  • Options
    .lolwray said:

Good luck to Seb and I hope he enjoys his cricket at Sidcup.
    My only reservation would be the standard of the main square at Crescent Farm.
    I used to love batting there many years ago, but some of our lads at ODs reckon it's a bit variable to stay the least.
    Thoughts?

Think the squares are pretty ok both sides ...gets a bit dusty when it's dry and always a bit tricky batting into the sun in the evening 
    When I used to skipper on the back square I always brought on a hand grenade bowler from the car park end at about 7.00 for that very reason!
  • Options
    We used that very successfully as a tactic in a Sunday game late last season, but were forced to take off that bowler after one over as it was 'unfair'! I guess it was a friendly... 
  • Options
    Sam Lockwood seems to be scoring shed loads of runs for Sidcup 1s so it can’t be that bad 
    Sam is a good player. I don't think Sidcup have a groundsman and the players have to do the square work. Last season the pitch was fairly poor after the roller effect wore off. I hope Seb makes the one's as I am likely to umpire there at some point hopefully.
  • Options

Wow - big decision, I’m sure, and the very best of success to Seb. 
  • Options
    Good luck Seb. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    We used that very successfully as a tactic in a Sunday game late last season, but were forced to take off that bowler after one over as it was 'unfair'! I guess it was a friendly... 
    I brought Geth on in a league match to that same tactic! Bloke backed away and the ball went over the top of the stumps by an inch as he couldn't see it! Was only the last wicket partnership though and we got the bloke out at the other end if I recall. Slightly naughty but oh well! 
  • Options
    In some KRCL to KCL news - Downham and Bellingham have completed the signing of one Sam Pope, who was both leading run scorer and wicket taker in the KRCL Prem last season. Quite the coup with several Shoots players also joining D&B, and that'll definitely help them as a club.

Rumours that Pope was going to go to Roebucks on £150 a game are clearly unfounded! Though I'm surprised he didn't take that up, as I think it was definitely on offer wasn't it? Good news for Downham though - really strengthens their side.
  • Options
    Jason Benn From Bexley to Bickley Park was one I had heard. 
  • Options
    I presume it'd be @Addick Addict who might know? That's quite interesting to me as I know Jason was quite involved in colts development. 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    I presume it'd be @Addick Addict who might know? That's quite interesting to me as I know Jason was quite involved in colts development. 
    He has gone to Bickley and was involved with the colts. Not aware why though.
  • Options
    Lots of money I am lead to believe 
  • Options
    Nice Guy Jason. Strange move to my mind but the pitch may suit him better. 
  • Options
    Bickley hasn't got lots of money. May be paid a nominal fee to train the Colts but Bickley is no Minster, or historically Bromley or Hartley.
  • Options
    I am sure they aren’t in Minsters League l. What’s  the connection with Sussex’s Ollie Robinson ? 
  • Options
    Bickley hasn't got lots of money. May be paid a nominal fee to train the Colts but Bickley is no Minster, or historically Bromley or Hartley.
    They do pay most of the 1st team though, and not just nominal fees.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am sure they aren’t in Minsters League l. What’s  the connection with Sussex’s Ollie Robinson ? 
    The common denominator is that, like a lot of their first team squad, he didn't come through the Bickley Colts system but they, clearly, have a very good network of available players:

Jason Benn (ex Bexley)
    Adeel Malik (ex Bexley, Islamabad)
    Daniel Magin (ex ACT & NSW U19)
    Warren Lee (ex Kent & Blackheath)
    Saf Imtiaz (MCC YC, Surrey 2nd X1, Essex 2nd X1))
    Ranjit Singh (ex Hartley, Bromley, Lordswood & Tenterden)
    William Holcombe (ex HSBC)
    Oliver Robinson (Sussex, ex Margate, Broadstairs, Sandwich & Whitstable)
    Alex Fullarton (ex Teddington)
    Arafat Bhuiyan (MCC YC, Kent 2nd X1, Essex 2nd X1) 
    Harry Stafford (ex Chislehurst & WK)

To be fair, they do have three or four Bickley stalwarts in their first team but approximately only a third of the games are played by them
  • Options
    The common denominator is that, like a lot of their first team squad, he didn't come through the Bickley Colts system but they, clearly, have a very good network of available players:

Jason Benn (ex Bexley)

To be fair, they do have three or four Bickley stalwarts in their first team but approximately only a third of the games are played by them
    Can't believe you've put Stafford in amongst that lot of decent players....he would be chuffed!  He doesn't get paid I can assure you!
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Jason Benn (ex Bexley)

Can't believe you've put Stafford in amongst that lot of decent players....he would be chuffed!  He doesn't get paid I can assure you!
    I must admit I only put him in there because he was in the same year as my eldest at St Olaves
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Jason Benn (ex Bexley)

I must admit I only put him in there because he was in the same year as my eldest at St Olaves
    My Sunday cricket group chat are furiously demanding to know why Will Holcombe has been included in this elite set of players!

He's currently playing for a club called St Mary's in Victoria, but not sure he's doing too well. 11 knocks, 3 ducks, 129 runs.

He was also more expensive than ME for Waggoners last year. I mean, c'mon...! 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Jason Benn (ex Bexley)

Well I hope your eldest didn't get expelled like he did!
  • Options
    (Would like to clarify that Will is part of the above group chat to be fair) 
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Pedro45 said:

Jason Benn (ex Bexley)

Well I hope your eldest didn't get expelled like he did!
    No he didn't - but he did leave Uni after two years of studying maths and stats. To put it to good use by becoming a professional gambler!
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Pedro45 said:

Jason Benn (ex Bexley)

My Sunday cricket group chat are furiously demanding to know why Will Holcombe has been included in this elite set of players!

He's currently playing for a club called St Mary's in Victoria, but not sure he's doing too well. 11 knocks, 3 ducks, 129 runs.

He was also more expensive than ME for Waggoners last year. I mean, c'mon...! 
    He did play 6/17 of their League games to be fair. Although 57 runs and 1.4 overs bowled indicates that he is probably in the side because he is good at eating his tea!
  • Options
    Fabian Cowdrey's twin brother and fellow Minster recruit, Julius, appeared on The Voice last night performing a number written by himself. Supported by family and friends including Fabian and Dad, Chris, none of the judges sadly turned for him. 
  • Options
    Fabian Cowdrey's twin brother and fellow Minster recruit, Julius, appeared on The Voice last night performing a number written by himself. Supported by family and friends including Fabian and Dad, Chris, none of the judges sadly turned for him. 
    I wonder if the song title, "Take Me Home", is a reference to Minster!

I kid of course. Was actually not that bad an effort: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLF5cep9qwE&feature=youtu.be