Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Food delivery 'substitutions'

I have been trying, without luck, to get strong bread flour. @Hantsaddick tried for me with her Tesco delivery and got 2 loaves of bread as a substitution. (Last Halloween she also got a butternut squash as a substitution for a carving pumpkin.)

Any other interesting food substitutions in these strange times?

Comments

• Most Sainsbury's are being told not to pick subs really at this time, as it saves on time, what with there being a huge amount of demand for home deliveries right now, and the issue of people handling goods and them being rejected and taken back to the store, cross contamination is a big red flag from this, so anything rejected is being disposed of. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Most Sainsbury's are being told not to pick subs really at this time, as it saves on time, what with there being a huge amount of demand for home deliveries right now, and the issue of people handling goods and them being rejected and taken back to the store, cross contamination is a big red flag from this, so anything rejected is being disposed of. 

Ah, that explains why I'm not getting what I think are 'obvious' substitutions - eg one bottle of red wine for another.
  • sam3110 said:
    Most Sainsbury's are being told not to pick subs really at this time, as it saves on time, what with there being a huge amount of demand for home deliveries right now, and the issue of people handling goods and them being rejected and taken back to the store, cross contamination is a big red flag from this, so anything rejected is being disposed of. 
    We got an Asda online delivery last week and got told any substitutions you don't want we aren't taking back, just keep them then get a refund.  Sensible I think, as you say it minimises contact.

Funniest one I've seen (online somewhere) is spring onions instead of a Spring bouquet.

• I do wonder the intelligence of the pickers & the substitutions they choose. No stories here as I've never had a delivery in my life, but from what I've hear & seen on here it does make me go wtf !
  • sam3110 said:
    We got an Asda online delivery last week and got told any substitutions you don't want we aren't taking back, just keep them then get a refund.  Sensible I think, as you say it minimises contact.

Funniest one I've seen (online somewhere) is spring onions instead of a Spring bouquet.

Excellent news.  I'm straight off to order a case of Jack Daniels that I won't be wanting.
  • Stig said:
    sam3110 said:

Excellent news.  I'm straight off to order a case of Jack Daniels that I won't be wanting.
    You realise it only works with substituted items....

• Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:
    I thought it all depended on whether you had ‘accept substitutes’ in your settings. Also, Sainsbury’s are not taking back any items you are not happy with, either substitutions or date wise, which is sensible in these times but I’m sure some are moaning about it.
  • Our order being delivered tonight, mild cheddar has been swopped for mature which is not an acceptable exchange. 
     No liquid soap with no replacement offered. 
  • T_C_E said:
    Our order being delivered tonight, mild cheddar has been swopped for mature which is not an acceptable exchange. 
    Cheese replaced with cheese is more acceptable than most.
  • T_C_E said:
    Our order being delivered tonight, mild cheddar has been swopped for mature which is not an acceptable exchange. 
    Mild replacement is mature? 
    Like saying a baby grows replaceable with a mans suit. 😉
  • When we've done "click and collect" at our local supermarket, if they don't have it, you just don't get it. It's not unusual to have 5 / 6+ items missing from the weekly list. 
  • ....we have driven round and gone in to get alternatives and sometimes found bits missing from our list on the shelves
  • edited April 2020
    Just this week I had four bulbs of garlic delivered instead of a pack of chillies. No idea how they thought that was legitimate substitute but I wouldn't like to try the pickers cooking!
  • all very annoying and/or funny, but remember that a grocery picker and van driver have risked their health in getting the stuff to your door .. they are probably still on minimum wage
  • T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    Pray for @T_C_E
  • T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    Pray for @T_C_E
    Not the first time thats been said. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I have been trying, without luck, to get strong bread flour. @Hantsaddick tried for me with her Tesco delivery and got 2 loaves of bread as a substitution. (Last Halloween she also got a butternut squash as a substitution for a carving pumpkin.)

Any other interesting food substitutions in these strange times?

Any use to you...?

I've never ordered food shopping online - no need as I work in a store - but do have the 'pleasure' of picking orders from time to time.  There is some creativity when it comes to subs, any tenuous link goes sometimes.  With Valentines Day this year we were selling heart shaped crumpets, and if they were out of stock I'd put in a pack of 'normal' ones with a heart-shaped paper template for them with instructions on how to make their own.
  • T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    They replaced mild cheddar with Red Leicester on ours.

I'm going to make cheese scones.
  • The nice thing about Tesco delivery is they have an "add a note" option on the items in your basket, so you can put things like "if sold out, please choose X instead" so you've got a bit more hope of getting something you can use as a sub. Although at the moment Tesco's delivery slots are like gold dust round here, so I can't take advantage of that.
  • Substitution for toilet paper

• T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:

Puppy training, mature is much to strong and will give him the two bob bits. You’d think Sainsbury's would take things like that into account when distributing these replacements! 😂 
  • T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:

Puppy training, mature is much to strong and will give him the two bob bits. You’d think Sainsbury's would take things like that into account when distributing these replacements! 😂 

Heartless bastards. I’m straight on the blower to PETA.
  • T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:

Heartless bastards. I’m straight on the blower to PETA.
    Thank you for your Sarcasm   Support 😉

• Our pup has only had an extra mature or vintage. No trots as yet. Also loves Parmesan!
  • I ordered a bottle of rosé but got Keith Peacock instead.