Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Beatles, RIP

Comments

• most of their stuff is better than the majority of music being written today .. classics will always stand the test of time .. look at the popularity of Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms and Lizst ((:>)
    nonsense
  • iainment said:
    I remember it well. I didn't need to be reminded that it was 50 years ago though. I suddenly feel older.
    Are you 64?
    He doesn't remember or recall
  • edited April 2020
    Preferred the original artists they ripped off, The Rutles.

And they ripped off Ruttling Orange Peel.

“The Blues.....Black music sung mainly by Whites”
  • cafcfan said:
    At the time, this event had almost no impact on me.  Back then, I listened to an entirely different kind of music.  I was a bloke and The Beatles were a band that 11-year old girls screamed at rather than actually listened to.  Did they play on a roof somewhere or was that a different thing altogether?  

Of course, now, I can see that they wrote some quite pleasant ditties and actually have most of their albums.
    Yes, on the roof of The Apple building in London (note....the building they owned & nothing to do with the company that produces phones).

Great live set. Not only for Get Back but also Dont let me down. 
  • 3blokes said:
    The Beatles.....have split......up??? 😨😱🤯

Is Glen Miller still missing?
  • I was offered tickets for one of their first concerts at Lewisham or Woolwich, used to be held in cinemas, but after seeing them on a BBC programme, didn't fancy them, regretted that decision ever since and have been a fan since then
  • Redrobo said:
    3blokes said:
    The Beatles.....have split......up??? 😨😱🤯

Is Glen Miller still missing?
    Try calling Pennsylvania 6-5000 they'd probably know.
  • cafcfan said:
    At the time, this event had almost no impact on me.  Back then, I listened to an entirely different kind of music.  I was a bloke and The Beatles were a band that 11-year old girls screamed at rather than actually listened to.  Did they play on a roof somewhere or was that a different thing altogether?  

Of course, now, I can see that they wrote some quite pleasant ditties and actually have most of their albums.
    Yes, on the roof of The Apple building in London (note....the building they owned & nothing to do with the company that produces phones).

the Beatles sued Jobs/Apple for breach of copyright and won  .. there have been several legal rucks between the two Apples and Jobs version has paid the Beatles version lots and lots in damages
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcfan said:

the Beatles sued Jobs/Apple for breach of copyright and won  .. there have been several legal rucks between the two Apples and Jobs version has paid the Beatles version lots and lots in damages
    The litigation started almost as soon as Apple (the computer company) started using that name. In the original agreement, The Beatles agreed to allow Steve Jobs to continue using the name Apple, on the basis that, as Jobs claimed, they had nothing to do with publishing music.  

And then, many years later, they launched the ipod...
  • I was in the High court working in my first job as a messenger\junior reporter, although the agency I worked for used me  more as a messenger than a reporter, I would often sit in divorce cases, take notes, and contact the two agency journalists, who were  known as 'high court reporters' and sold the stories to the National's, we had an office in Chancery lane, I used to walk into the news desks and place the stories in the editors news tray. 
     Anyway I was sitting in the High court,  about to go to lunch walked out the court, and looked up and there was Paul McCartney, with Linda, and a group of people, I then asked the 'tipstaff' what was he doing here, and told me there was an application before  the High court. Later that day I walked into Melody Maker, spoke to the news editor Chris Charlesworth, and Richard Williams, who had been aware of the situation, as it had been before the High court the previous December, and January, but things had been sour for some time. ( later worked for Williams on Richard Branson's 'Event') It went on for years, and think it was eventually resolved in December 1974, to me it was about the management of Eastman, and Klein, but of course there were many other issues......  I left the news agency in the July of 1970, and went to art college, having failed to get into the LSE the previous year. For further info see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break-up_of_the_Beatles   

I did get a nice letter from Melody Maker, and continued writing for them, as a 'stringer' on bootleg  L.P's for a year or so, I think I got paid £8.  My first ever album I got was with the Beatles, so I was a fan. 
    Winner
  • The beatles were before my time, but there is no doubt they were tremendous melody writers, which is why they still resonate and will no doubt stand the test of time. 
  • edited April 2020
    Good band but there's no excuse for all the congestion they still cause in St John's Wood. Bloody inconsiderate of them.
  • Paul McCartney interview from 3 days ago with Howard Stern. 

Appears that Peter Jackson has converted 55 hours of footage from 1969 into a new documentary film that is to be released by Disney on September 4th.  It is called The Beatles: Get Back.  RIP?  I don't think so  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aCVA2DXMKM

Appears that Peter Jackson has converted 55 hours of footage from 1969 into a new documentary film that is to be released by Disney on September 4th.  It is called The Beatles: Get Back.  RIP?  I don't think so  :)

What he did with They Shall Not Grow Old was incredible so I'm excited to see this

Good to hear, thanks for posting @Raith_C_Chattonell
  • Thought this was interesting. Sina's view on Ringo's drumming, also love the Avonlea version of Something.  Girl power at its best I'd have thought. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NCczct2ZIM
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought this was interesting. Sina's view on Ringo's drumming, also love the Avonlea version of Something.  Girl power at its best I'd have thought. 

Sina is a remarkable young lady
  • edited May 2020
    I’m 64, losing my hair (lost most of it) and live on the Isle of Wight. Beatles? A few good songs but over played, prefer the Stones! Do like George’s solo work though.
  • Used to like the Beatles until I found out what an utter arsehole John Lennon was. Turned me on a sixpence, it did.
    Did you meet him? You should substantiate this claim. What did he do?
  • Used to like the Beatles until I found out what an utter arsehole John Lennon was. Turned me on a sixpence, it did.
    Did you meet him? You should substantiate this claim. What did he do?
    To be fair, I though it was common knowledge he was a bit of a weapon.
  • I was only 3 at the time, so no, I dont remember them splitting up.

However, I was massively influenced by them in my musical tastes. Got into them when I was around 11 or 12. Parents had the "blue" album (given to them by a relative one xmas but they never really listened to it) and was really the first record I listened to over & over again & then went out & bought the "red" album. Over the next few years I steadily bought the back catalogue of studio albums until I had every one (apart from Magical mystery tour). 

Anyone who can't appreciate Sgt Pepper's, Revolver or Abbey Road isn't worth bothering about.
    Ha, ha, so you're not bothered about your older brother then? Big Wallybrain Collywobbles.

However I can substantiate that Golfie did indeed buy all the albums that he claims to, except for Please Please Me which was given to me by Large's mother in law. I, like Golfie  was  hugely influenced in my musical tastes by The Beatles. I remember singing their songs whilst walking down the street when I was 7 or 8, and that at school everyone else was into The Jam or Madness.
  • Chizz said:
    John Lennon would have been 80 today.  RIP. 

Happy Birthday John....................wherever you are.
  • Chizz said:
    John Lennon would have been 80 today.  RIP. 

Kevin Webster, Curly Watts and Terry Duckworth.

When asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the World, didn't Lennon respond by saying he wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles?
  • Addickted said:
    Thought this was interesting. Sina's view on Ringo's drumming, also love the Avonlea version of Something.  Girl power at its best I'd have thought. 

When asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the World, didn't Lennon respond by saying he wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles?
    I think he was misquoted, or it was even made up. I remember hearing recently that he definitely didn't say it.