Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paul Linger - Memorial Benefit game now at Hornchurch 05/12/21 2pm (p6)

edited November 2021 in General Charlton
I was sent this by a mate, West Ham supporter who knows Paul  Linger well.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/paul-linger

Ex-Charlton, Orient and Brighton player Paul Linger, whose career was cut short by a broken leg long before young footballers made any money, has recently been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  Having initially been told it was terminal, a second opinion has provided unexpected hope - but the window to operate is small and thus only doing so privately this weekend will allow him to live on

Comments

• Nice to see Kayal's put in £500.
  • I very clearly remember Paul Linger coming through the ranks at Charlton .
    Hugely impressive at his age group  Albie Morgan puts me in mind of him, some footballing similarities between the two. 
    Very best wishes Paul.
  • Tony Bloom stuck in £2.5k an all
  • Remember his name and that he had a high reputation.
    Was it the 60's he came through?

Yet another example of the CL spirit.
    Helps to boost my moral seeing this spirit of generosity.
  • He was a year or two ahead of Richard Rufus if I remember correctly.
  • He's only a couple of years older than me. Mid to late 40's?
  • Sponsored links:

@Addictedoldgit I don't think he's that old mate
  • ....just looked, he's 45
  • Remember he scored a volley away at Ipswich in the same game Leaburn got a hat trick in a 4-1 win.
  • Remember he scored a volley away at Ipswich in the same game Leaburn got a hat trick in a 4-1 win.
    5-1 - Phil Chapple scored as well. 
  • edited March 2020
    I was at that Ipswich game as well and remember his goal.
    What terrible news, I wish him well. I recall he was compared with Nigel Clough when he first broke into the first team.
    I'd be interested to know what the hopeful treatment is.
    A very bad cancer indeed, but it can be beaten, Chris Rea being a high profile survivor.
    So he did
    So he did
    An easily forgettable player tbf.
  • He didn't play many for us  Bowbut hadyer in front of him at one point. I thought his best game was Southend away.
  • Ferryman said:
    He didn't play many for us  Bowbut hadyer in front of him at one point. I thought his best game was Southend away.
    But had Bowyer in front of him at one point.
  • Sponsored links:

@Addictedoldgit I don't think he's that old mate
    Oops!!
  • I remember him looking really good on the ball, but being almost childlike in our not particularly large team.  When he broke his leg it was widely discussed he'd not come back.  For him to play again after what was said to be a very bad break, and then play quite a bit in Non-League he must have been truly talented.  From what I remember he was through the centre and not on the wing like Bowyer at that time.

My very best wishes to Paul Linger
  • Stig said:
    Great that Paul reached his target with relative ease. The bigger question is though, what about people with the same condition who no-one has heard of?
    My best mate Chris died of pancreatic cancer 18 months ago. I still miss him desperately. He was 47.
    It would be very easy for me to start complaining about how nobody donated 30k to save him, but at the end of the day, it’s impossible to raise this sort of money for everyone. If you have the profile, use it.

Pancreatic cancer is a horrible, nasty piece of work. I’m just happy for Paul Linger that he has the chance to beat it.
    Chris would be too.
    That's a lovely post mate. Sorry for your loss, but Chris would be proud that you've written that.

I have a mate who I served in the RAF with many years ago in Germany, who has been suffering with pancreatic cancer for 3 years now. He's a real fighter and has  just embarked upon yet another round of 'treatment'. I asked him what his prognosis was following this treatment set? He simply replied: "I don't know, as I don't want to ask".

Promised him that I'd go up Liverpool to see him in early May, when I was next due home; he was made up. I'm currently stuck in Saudi though, and don't have a clue when I'll next be able to get home. Just hope I get to see him again. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Ferryman said:
    He didn't play many for us  Bowbut hadyer in front of him at one point. I thought his best game was Southend away.
    I was thinking I don't remember what position Bowbut Hadyer played.
  • Paul's nickname was Cloughie.  I sat next to him in the departure lounge at Ancona after the Anglo-Italian cup game and the resemblance to Nigel Clough was quite noticeable.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Ferryman said:
    Thanks for that, didn't know it was an anagram.
  • I lost my sister-in-law to pancreatic cancer, it's a horrible disease. Wish Paul all the best for a speedy recovery. I'm old enough to remember him.
  • Good luck to Paul Linger - remember him well from the early 90's, and wish him a full recovery from a horrible disease.

Always think of him in the same bracket as Mark Tivey, Jermaine Darlington and Paul Bacon, whom were all in and around the 1st team squad at the same time, but we never seemed to get any injuries in those days.

In fact that season at Upton Park, we seemed to have the same midfield all season - Lee, Bumstead, Pardew/Peake and Colin Walsh - Big Carlo and Nelson upfront.

No-one seemed to get injured back then, which is ironic, as I can think of a few of those above who were often seen in and around the drinking holes of New Eltham.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Ferryman said:
    Yes that's what it should of said. Thanks
  • Any news?