Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Streaming Wars: Disney+ is coming, will you get it?

edited February 2020 in Not Sports Related
As of next month Disney will begin the house of mouse’s quest to take over the streaming world. 

(In case you missed this, once the Fox and Disney deals finish with Sky, Amazon and Netflix, Disney+ will include every Disney live action/ animation, Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar movie ever made. And every 20th Century Fox movie from the last 110 years!). 

I’m wondering which services people are going to be sticking with as we enter the streaming wars. They can’t all survive, especially once Disney take their toys back...

Amazon Prime
Netflix
NowTV
Disney+
Apple+
Hulu
TalkTalk (formerly BlinkBox)
Rakuten
iTunes
Google Play
Cinema Now
BritBox

Meanwhile, Sky, who see themselves as a premium service that we’ll all have alongside the rest, have just increased their prices...

Comments

• We have Amazon Prime, Netflix, Sky and will have Disney+ when it comes out. Also have BT Sport as part of my phone deal with EE
  • In the late 1940s, the studios owned their own cinemas and only showed their own stuff. This wasn’t good for the consumer so they got banned from doing that - But we’re right back at the same point again. 

It might be that someone packages a bunch of them up and sells them as one subscription, but I can’t see Disney allowing that to happen.

Paramount, Warner (HBO), Universal are all rumoured to be up for taking Disney on, but they won’t be able to compete, particularly as Disney are using the Marvel TV shows to blur the lines between cinema and home entertainment. 

I certainly can’t see Sky Cinema surviving. They used to have a team of 80 people. I gather it’s now down to half a dozen! 
  • Only really use netflix. Prime is thin aNd hard to use 
  • Far too many exist these days... People are going to be pushed back to movies piracy and in a way its going to be even easier to create the files

Already been able to see the excellent Mandalorian via. torrents

Greed is ultimately going to hit these companies once again when they should be working together
    Thats what I've found myself doing. FIrst time in years and I have Sky, Prime and Netflix anyway. 
  • Got a 6&9 year who love Star Wars and Marvel. 
    We tend to buy the films as they come out

not gonna pay another subscription other than existing Netflix and we have amazon prime for deliveries anyway 
  • It's been available in Canada for a little while already and we have it, but mainly for the kids. Having the full Simpson's back catalogue on there is great, but I'm not really into Marvel or Star Wars so it's a bit thin on adult content, although obviously there is a great depth of fantastic family friendly content. We have Amazon prime, Netflix and DAZN too. DAZN carries EPL and EFL matches, as well as six nations, darts etc. - most of the sports I watched before I came to North America. I'm hoping they'll be adding Formula One soon because then I can ditch our cable package completely. Netflix gets easily the most use out of the streaming services but actually, I probably hook up the VPN and watch BBC or Channel 4 most out of everything.
  • It's been available in Canada for a little while already and we have it, but mainly for the kids. Having the full Simpson's back catalogue on there is great, but I'm not really into Marvel or Star Wars so it's a bit thin on adult content, although obviously there is a great depth of fantastic family friendly content. We have Amazon prime, Netflix and DAZN too. DAZN carries EPL and EFL matches, as well as six nations, darts etc. - most of the sports I watched before I came to North America. I'm hoping they'll be adding Formula One soon because then I can ditch our cable package completely. Netflix gets easily the most use out of the streaming services but actually, I probably hook up the VPN and watch BBC or Channel 4 most out of everything.
    Don't you guys have F1 TV over there anyway? I seem to remember it seemed decent value
  • Got Disney+ out here already.

Ok it’s got Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar movies, but that’s about all that’s worth watching and once you’ve watched the good ones...that’s it.
    I guess if you like marvel tv shows (which we don’t) it’s probably ok. It does also have National Geographic, but I rarely watch that.
    I’m not sure if/when all the extra content you mention will start appearing?

The thing is, we can get it as a package deal with Hulu and ESPN for $12.99 at the mo, so it’s only really costing us about $2 extra a month.
    Don't you guys have F1 TV over there anyway? I seem to remember it seemed decent value
    Didn't know this was a thing - I'll take a look into it, thanks!

• Sponsored links:

F1tv is $10 a month for live viewing package if I remember correctly. I used it briefly when I had a tv package that didn’t show f1.

F1tv is $10 a month for live viewing package if I remember correctly. I used it briefly when I had a tv package that didn’t show f1.

Cheers, I need catch-up rather than live, really, as there's only 3 or 4 races that are live at a time of day I can actually watch - most of them take place in the small hours so I currently PVR and watch later.

• Am seriously considering abandoning Sky and maintaining subscriptions to Amazon Prime (in bundle with shopping etc), Netflix, Disney + and Apple TV +. I could afford 5-6 Now TV passes for footie and still have a lot of change in my pocket. No greed from where I am for company’s charging £4.99-£9.99 a month. It’s the £70-100 a month I am starting to resent...big time!
  • Planning to ditch Sky in May unless they make me a wonder offer. So expensive. Will switch to Virgin for a bit then see how the land lies. 
  • Have no interest in Disney+

Cheers, I need catch-up rather than live, really, as there's only 3 or 4 races that are live at a time of day I can actually watch - most of them take place in the small hours so I currently PVR and watch later.

The live package gives you access to watch the whole race at a later time of your choosing if you want.
    It is a pretty good service - covers all the practice and qualifying and has lots of other footage and interviews too if that’s your thing.
    I believe they often have a promo price early in the season too. Apparently you could get the whole season for about $50 if you signed up early enough last year.
  • Got Disney+ out here already.

Ok it’s got Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar movies, but that’s about all that’s worth watching and once you’ve watched the good ones...that’s it.
    I guess if you like marvel tv shows (which we don’t) it’s probably ok. It does also have National Geographic, but I rarely watch that.
    I’m not sure if/when all the extra content you mention will start appearing?

The thing is, we can get it as a package deal with Hulu and ESPN for $12.99 at the mo, so it’s only really costing us about $2 extra a month.
    Disney and Fox had studio deals that tied up their content with other providers. Some films were contracted out (to Netflix, Sky, Amazon) years in advance. As those contracts expire, the titles will go back to Disney. Now they have their own service, they don’t need any other company to buy their content. Just us. 
  • Got Netflix, as kids and in-laws finds it easy to use (four screens on the premium plan).

Apart from that, getting all other films for free through Kodi on my Android box (which also caters for all my sports needs through Perfect Player). Best investment ever.
  • I’ve got Netflix which is fine. Prime too but it’s a bit basic. Won’t be needing Disney. Plenty of catch up tv for films on SBS etc. Gave up with Kodi as the Internet here is medieval at best. 
  • I’ve got Amazon , Netflix and Sky and I hardly scratch the surface of what’s on them so - No . I won’t  be subscribing to Disney . 
  • Sponsored links:

• The old sky and cable models must be nearly broken.  You used to pay a premium to get exclusive content on dozens of channels, must of which are avalible free to view with out any box at all.

The premium stuff is less and less, I basically now pay about £100 a month to watch a bit of football and some test match cricket.

The stupid thing is I use my virgin box to mainly watch Netflix and YouTube.

You used to be able to pay about £50 a month and if it was on TV, you could watch it, with the exception of a few PPV events.  Now if you wanted to be able to watch everything I would guess it would be about £200 a month?

• We have a 10 year old, so have bitten the bullet and bought the early deal (£ 49.99 for 1 year) for Disney +
    Think they're should be enough content on there for 1 year and then bin it.

Currently have Netflix, Prime Video and NowTV entertainment pass.
    Far too much content to warrant all of them, so will possibly do without NowTV and/or Netflix for a year or so while we binge on Disney / Marvel / Star Wars spin offs.

Amazon prime currently have a deal for the Starzplay add on channel for 99p per month for 3 months, showing Castle Rock which looks good.
    So might just add that too.

Oh, and a years free AppleTV + with a new ipad (and I don't even know what free content that shows)

So all in all, too many streaming options right now and a few of them running scared and offering deals.
    Can't watch them all at once, so, hopefully, should be able to play one off against the other every now and again to obtain a deal  :)
  • Cafc43v3r said:

You used to be able to pay about £50 a month and if it was on TV, you could watch it, with the exception of a few PPV events.  Now if you wanted to be able to watch everything I would guess it would be about £200 a month?

Virgin offer all Sky's content plus BT Sport for £90/month.
  • Uboat said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Virgin offer all Sky's content plus BT Sport for £90/month.Uboat said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Virgin offer all Sky's content plus BT Sport for £90/month.
    Though Virgin don't have Sky Atlantic, where a lot of the good content goes.
  • Why?

Cyberflix, totally free and every film & TV Series ever made is on it in full 1080i HD including the Disney collection.
  • Why?

Cyberflix, totally free and every film & TV Series ever made is on it in full 1080i HD including the Disney collection.
    Cheers hadnt heard of this before
  • Why?

Get yourself a Fire Stick and head over to YouTube and you will be sorted. 
  • Why?

Got Chromecast so presume I can just cast from my phone
  • Why?

Got Chromecast so presume I can just cast from my phone
    Not a clue sorry, my son told me about all this and I followed a You Tube Vid, I know it does not work on a Smart TV so you need  Fire Stick but Chromecast, no idea.
  • edited March 2020
    £50 for a year. No-brainer really. I thought it would be more like £15/month. Just pre-ordered it.