Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most awkward looking footballer you've seen?

Comments

• Options
    Phil Chapple.
  • Options
    Brian Talbot
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Jan Koller, Peter Crouch and my childhood idol Preben Elkjaer:
    https://youtu.be/r6YYldSjvzU
    The goal at 0.58 was the goal I remember that really got me into football (Euro 84).

• Options
    Erhun Oztumer looks like he needs a month in a grow bag,played well last night mind you
  • Options
    Christophe Lepoint
    Spot on... bloke won a competition to play for us!!
  • Options
    I remember seeing Peter Crouch at the Valley when he was at Naaaaaaarwich.
     I don’t think I had ever seen a most unfootball like footballer in my entire life. I spent the whole game thinking ‘wtf?’
    To think he actually carved a living out of it & played (quite brilliantly sometimes) for England still amazes me to this day!
  • Options
    Nathan Prior

• Options
    Yuran and Kulkav were two Russians signed by Millwall in 1996 on loan from Spartak Moscow.. Unfortunately they spent every night in the UK pissed at the bar in The Bromley Court Hotel. Ungamely players both.
  • Options
    Paulo Wanchope 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's got to be Ali "My Cousin Is George Weah, Honest" Dia
  • Options
    I saw Mark McCammon for us at Tranmere in a draw about 20 years ago and he really was awful/awkward to watch. I think someone like Mervyn Day talked about him needing to be taught how to run, jump, head and pretty much everything else! 
  • Options
    Ted McMinn
    That was the name that came to my mind as soon as I read thread title

Yup, me too. He ripped Dumbarton a new arsehole in our only year in the top league (in my lifetime). Remember raging about how someone so ungainly could be so good
  • Options
    For us any of about 2 dozen of the eurotrash wombats we signed under shitarse and latrine

One who stands out though is Phil Chapple with the ball at his feet, always looked like he was about to tread on it. And to shock a few Johnny Robinson. Thought he has a dreadful toe-y way of hitting the ball and for a winger had very stuttery, ungracious footwork. Not to say I didn't love him to bits, it was effective but very unnatural to watch.

He's gone on to do really well but I questioned how Scott Sinclair was even a footballer when we had him  

In mo particular order the rest of the footballing worlds gangly and stumbling weirdos that carved a career from the game to varying degrees of infamy

Carlton Palmer 
    Peter Crouch
    Carston Jancker 
    Kevin Francis
    Maiga (west ham and QPR failure)
    Dan Byrne
    Andy Keogh
    Mark Sale 
    Leo Fortune-West
    Chris Sutton (although phenomenal and dominant in the air)
    Paolo Wanchope 
    Yakubu 
  • Options
    Maurice Setters
  • Options
    Has to be Carlo, surely?

In those early days his legs were like pipe cleaners and he was like a baby goal gambling about the pitch!
  • Options
    Ralph Milne actually looked like he was running with a limp - my mate used to say that the real Ralph Milne must have swopped with a random bloke on the train down from Scotland - someone who’d never played football before. He was shockingly awful 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    cafctom said:
    Danny Haynes ran like someone taking a parent race at a school sports day far too seriously.
    Still the quickest player I’ve seen in a Charlton shirt though. Unbelievable pace.
    Other than Rommedahl i'd agree. So basically i'm disagreeing but you know what I mean... I hope  :D
  • Options
    Martin Pringle always looked pretty awkward whenever he had the ball
  • Options
    Simon Francis springs to mind as well. Whenever he would put in a cross, he would blast it at about 100mph as if he seemingly didn’t know any other way of doing it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ian Ormondroyd
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Carter said:
    For us any of about 2 dozen of the eurotrash wombats we signed under shitarse and latrine

One who stands out though is Phil Chapple with the ball at his feet, always looked like he was about to tread on it. And to shock a few Johnny Robinson. Thought he has a dreadful toe-y way of hitting the ball and for a winger had very stuttery, ungracious footwork. Not to say I didn't love him to bits, it was effective but very unnatural to watch.

He's gone on to do really well but I questioned how Scott Sinclair was even a footballer when we had him  

In mo particular order the rest of the footballing worlds gangly and stumbling weirdos that carved a career from the game to varying degrees of infamy

Carlton Palmer 
    Peter Crouch
    Carston Jancker 
    Kevin Francis
    Dan Byrne
    Andy Keogh
    Mark Sale 
    Leo Fortune-West
    Paolo Wanchope 
    Yakubu 
    Kevin Francis great shout. Remember him smashing a goal in from pretty much the halfway line for Birmingham on the big match once.

EDIT now a copper in Canada according to the Google search I just did. How random.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Grzegorz Rasiak.  Quite possibly the worst player I've seen at Spurs over the years.  Looked uncomfortable and totally out of his depth as soon as he pulled on a Spurs shirt and his career nosedived.

Andy Booth, a close second.  Brought to Spurs on loan from Sheffield Wed by David Pleat back in the late 90s when Sheringham got injured (before he went Utd).  Vaguely remember sitting through the most sterile 0-0 with Charlton at WHL.

EDIT: having looked it up, he played 4 games for Spurs in 2001!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Grzegorz Rasiak.  Quite possibly the worst player I've seen at Spurs over the years.  Looked uncomfortable and totally out of his depth as soon as he pulled on a Spurs shirt and his career nosedived.

Andy Booth, a close second.  Brought to Spurs on loan from Sheffield Wed by David Pleat back in the late 90s when Sheringham got injured (before he went Utd).  Vaguely remember sitting through the most sterile 0-0 with Charlton at WHL.

It was George Graham who loaned Booth into Spurs.

He actually played against us in a 0-0 draw at WHL.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Carlton Palmer 
    Peter Crouch
    Carston Jancker 
    Kevin Francis
    Dan Byrne
    Andy Keogh
    Mark Sale 
    Leo Fortune-West
    Paolo Wanchope 
    Yakubu 
    Kevin Francis great shout. Remember him smashing a goal in from pretty much the halfway line for Birmingham on the big match once.

EDIT now a copper in Canada according to the Google search I just did. How random.
    A mountain of a Mountie?
  • Options
    AshBurton said:
    Lawrie Madden
    Beat me to it - he was like a very tenacious Hunchback of Notre Dame in Charlton kit. For that reason I think it too longer for fans to warm to him but he won fans over in the end, albeit that he was more successful for Wednesday and has a League Cup winners medal to prove it.
    Once hit a penalty even higher than Nicky Bailey. First and last time he took one I think! 
    Was that at Sellhurst Park?
    No, at the Valley v Newcastle at the Jimmy Seed end. I think we won 4-1.
  • Options
    pineapple head jason lee - his haircut was way too big for his personality
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Sterling runs like a scooby do character 
    He runs as if he’s drying his nails
    That's funny!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Faustino Asprilla
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

It was George Graham who loaned Booth into Spurs.

He actually played against us in a 0-0 draw at WHL.
    Yes Graham was manager but I'm fairly sure it was Pleats decision as Director of Fooball.  Funnily, Graham was sacked about 6 weeks later for complaining about transfer strategy and lack of funds in mid March, ENIC stating breach of contract after they bought the club in the February.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2001/jan/29/newsstory.sport1

The line ups for a blast from the past...

Tottenham: Sullivan, Campbell, Perry, Freund, Anderton, Leonhardsen, Clemence, King, Rebrov, Doherty, Booth. Subs: Walker, Sherwood, Korsten, Young, Etherington.

Charlton: Ilic, Rufus, Brown, Todd, Powell, Kishishev, Parker, Jensen, Stuart, Svensson, Bartlett. Subs: Tiler, Newton, Salako, Lisbie, Caig.

Referee: D Elleray (Harrow-on-the-Hill)