Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Middlesbrough at home on 7th March

Just been trying to book our train tickets for this match and found that due to engineering works the only service from London Bridge to Charlton includes a bus journey and takes rather a long time!

Would it be best to go by DLR to Greenwich or Jubilee to N.Greenwich and then bus as having MS I can't walk too far.

Sensible suggestions will be gratefully received :smile:

Comments

• I'd say go to North Greenwich. Even a cab from there would be reasonable.
  • I think the bus journey is easier from North Greenwich
  • Regarding your two options, I'd say either/or.

I think the most comfortable would be North Greenwich. It's got to be a shorter bus journey from there than Greenwich DLR.

• Likewise I will be traveling from Portsmouth to Waterloo, usually then go Waterloo East to Charlton. Any of you clever folks know of a better route avoiding bus service etc? Problem is that if don't get usual train times back after game, we will miss our boat to the Isle of Wight and in turn the last train from the boat to home.
  • edited February 2020
    Was just about to ask the same question @lancashire lad
    Fairly big group of us coming up for this one. Not sure how you work around the bus bit with a group of drunk 40 year olds.

• Webby said:
    Likewise I will be traveling from Portsmouth to Waterloo, usually then go Waterloo East to Charlton. Any of you clever folks know of a better route avoiding bus service etc? Problem is that if don't get usual train times back after game, we will miss our boat to the Isle of Wight and in turn the last train from the boat to home.
    Jubilee line to North Greenwich from Waterloo.Plenty of buses to Charlton and same going back.Probably add another 15/20 mins to your journey.
  • Webby said:
    Likewise I will be traveling from Portsmouth to Waterloo, usually then go Waterloo East to Charlton. Any of you clever folks know of a better route avoiding bus service etc? Problem is that if don't get usual train times back after game, we will miss our boat to the Isle of Wight and in turn the last train from the boat to home.
    Check out train service to London Victoria from Pompey.Sometimes there is a direct service to Charlton taking about 25 mins via Blackheath
  • Sounds like nothing from Charlton that day. so a bus from North Greenwich is the way to go for the least walking. Alternatively, a cab from Blackheath, which has services from London Bridge. 
  • Webby said:
    Check out train service to London Victoria from Pompey.Sometimes there is a direct service to Charlton taking about 25 mins via Blackheath
    Thanks for the input but unfortunately they do not connect up at all well at the time of our travels.
  • https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/maps/London%20Cannon%20Street%207%208%20MAR.pdf

That's ridiculous. With out increased gates AND Boro normally bringing a decent number down, there will be chaos with large numbers trying to get a bus from North Greenwich or the rail replacement bus. 

On previous occasions they've not shut both routes from London into Charlton, and run trains from Blackfriars or Victoria
  • Sponsored links:

• I bet if it was a Premiership club there would be alternative rail travel available 
  • I bet if it was a Premiership club there would be alternative rail travel available 
    There are loads of instances where PL fans are stitched up when games are moved and the train companies over no services. The cup final there always seems to be issues getting fans back home
  • edited February 2020
    The issue is with the shiteness of the rail network. I find driving everywhere is far cheaper and more convenient. That shouldn't be the case.
  • If you get DLR to Greenwich the 177 stops right outside the station
  • The issue is with the shiteness of the rail network. I find driving everywhere is far cheaper and more convenient. That shouldn't be the case.
    The issue is with the way the engineering works have been scheduled. Taking out ALL the trains to Charlton might be convenient for Network Rail, but shows a distinct lack of interest in the needs of users.
  • Webby said:
    You use the sole remaining 'island line' on the isle of Wight then @webby?  Fascinating journey that by looks of it
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railways_on_the_Isle_of_Wight
  • Webby said:
    You use the sole remaining 'island line' on the isle of Wight then @webby?  Fascinating journey that by looks of it
    Ex Underground tube stock on the IoW, a ferry, train to Waterloo, train to Charlton

Joking side (#proppacharlton etc) that's impressive commitment!
  • Webby said:
    Yes unfortunately since 1966 it no longers runs as far as my house, so I also have to get a bus to the train station in Shanklin .... Could of course drive but im usually pissed when I arrive back :-):smile:
  • Webby said:
    Ex Underground tube stock on the IoW, a ferry, train to Waterloo, train to Charlton

Joking side (#proppacharlton etc) that's impressive commitment!
    Image result for island line train on pier
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't you get a boat from IOW to Charlton?

• Also, going home: even on a normal match-day, pre-large crowds, it would take an hour or so for the roads to clear sufficiently for the buses to make reasonable progress (and not terminate early).  Larger crowds, plus all the people who would have gone by train = go to pub after match.
  • Probably walk to Greenwich quicker than the bus roads will be mentally gridlocked for days with the crowds we now have these days
  • If you get DLR to Greenwich the 177 stops right outside the station
    But the bus from Greenwich to Charlton takes absolutely bloody ages on matchdays. Jubilee Line's a far better bet. @lancashire lad on the way back, if you've got limited mobility then I think your best bet is heading under the railway line at Ransom Walk then turning right along the main road at the roundabout, as the bus stop for the 472, 161, 177 and 180 is very close to there. It means you miss out on the option of the 486, but avoids the scrum on Anchor and Hope Lane, and gives you a better chance of getting a seat.

• aliwibble said:
    If you get DLR to Greenwich the 177 stops right outside the station
    But the bus from Greenwich to Charlton takes absolutely bloody ages on matchdays. Jubilee Line's a far better bet. @lancashire lad on the way back, if you've got limited mobility then I think your best bet is heading under the railway line at Ransom Walk then turning right along the main road at the roundabout, as the bus stop for the 472, 161, 177 and 180 is very close to there. It means you miss out on the option of the 486, but avoids the scrum on Anchor and Hope Lane, and gives you a better chance of getting a seat.

Greenwich DLR and North Greenwich on the Jubilee seem to be the only options, absolute chaos.

The smoggies are going to have a longer day than normal.
  • Just been trying to book our train tickets for this match and found that due to engineering works the only service from London Bridge to Charlton includes a bus journey and takes rather a long time!

Would it be best to go by DLR to Greenwich or Jubilee to N.Greenwich and then bus as having MS I can't walk too far.

Sensible suggestions will be gratefully received :smile:
    Have a night out in London, go home Sunday. No need to worry about rushing and missing trains and ferries.
  • edited February 2020
    Stay on DLR to Woolwich and bus it from there? Longer journey, but might be quieter
  • I usually get the bus from Plumstead or Woolwich for games. Never a problem.

• Some sound advice on here.

Use the railheads North Greenwich/Greenwich DLR/Woolwich DLR then local bus services.

Arrive early, leave late. Allow plenty of time - don't get impatient. Local shops and not forgetting the O2 will also be busy, especially if the weather is fine. That also brings pressure on public transport and parking. 

Maybe time to think about car-sharing for longer-distance Addicks - CL a useful place to connect drivers with new passengers. We have always been good at finding our own solutions to problems. 

• Sleepover at the Valley the Friday and Saturday nights.
    I hear it's all the rage.