Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sunderland in today’s Guardian

Shows how important the win at Wembley was for us, to see what’s been going on at Sunderland:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/10/phil-parkinson-sunderland-dark-clouds-stewart-donald

Comments

• Laddick01 said:
    Arguably the most important win in the clubs history? 

Even if we go back down (which I don’t expect us to) we are a In a great place now. Another season in league one with no Bowyer and no quality could’ve seen us slide right down the ladder.
    Quite possibly, depends on how the next few months pan out. 
  • Laddick01 said:

Even if we go back down (which I don’t expect us to) we are a In a great place now. Another season in league one with no Bowyer and no quality could’ve seen us slide right down the ladder.
    Will never beat the May 87 play off v Leeds. The club would have died with relegation then.
    This. 
  • Parkinson is living a nightmare... First the shit show that was Bolton, and now Sunderland. Guy can't catch a break. 
    Reckon Jonjo put a Gypsy curse on Parky when he wouldn’t pick Jonjo down here. 
  • Sponsored links:

• 30k at home today for them. Incredible really.
  • Well I guess that lass from Sunderland won’t be crapping in the fountains of London this season!
    It could easily happen again (Sunderland in the playoffs that is!)

Interesting that Sunderland are now 6th, Pompey 7th and Doncaster 8th, the 3 losing playoff teams are starting to find some form. A really exciting L1 promotion race this season
  • Parkinson is living a nightmare... First the shit show that was Bolton, and now Sunderland. Guy can't catch a break. 
    Started to turn it round, 6 unbeaten, up to 6th and now just 6 points off leaders Rotherham with a game in hand.

Wycombe who were top have absolutely imploded. 1 win in 7, no wins in 5.
  • edited January 2020
    Ipswich have been on a dodgy run lately as well up until yesterday. 
  • Sunderland are scoring goals for the first time. Parky must have changed their style of play and it takes time finding the right balance to a team when you do that. Grigg hasn't been scoring for them but it looks like Parkinson has found someone up front to make them tick. 
  • Well I guess that lass from Sunderland won’t be crapping in the fountains of London this season!
    It could easily happen again (Sunderland in the playoffs that is!)

Interesting that Sunderland are now 6th, Pompey 7th and Doncaster 8th, the 3 losing playoff teams are starting to find some form. A really exciting L1 promotion race this season
    Definitely Exciting, but so happy we’re not part of it this season! Top half of league one is becoming more and more competitive every year. 
  • I think they'll go up this season, either auto or via the play offs
  • I always thought Parky was not an impact manager but somebody who gets it right when you give him time. He seems to be doing that now.
  • Sunderland are scoring goals for the first time. Parky must have changed their style of play and it takes time finding the right balance to a team when you do that. Grigg hasn't been scoring for them but it looks like Parkinson has found someone up front to make them tick. 
    Plays a 4-3-3 now.
  • Sponsored links:

• League 1 is absolutely bizarre although probably "bizarre" is a euphemism for "awful"!

The leaders have 44 points from 25 matches. At that rate the Champions will just about manage 80 points. When was the last time any team won a 46 match League with that?

It is for that reason that the likes of Sunderland and Portsmouth, the ante post favourites, still have a decent chance of finishing top - despite both having only won 10 from 24 to date!
  • League 1 is absolutely bizarre although probably "bizarre" is a euphemism for "awful"!

The leaders have 44 points from 25 matches. At that rate the Champions will just about manage 80 points. When was the last time any team won a 46 match League with that?

It is for that reason that the likes of Sunderland and Portsmouth, the ante post favourites, still have a decent chance of finishing top - despite both having only won 10 from 24 to date!
    I think Southend won league 1 in 2006 with about 82 points?

good post .. it could also be that L1 is 'exciting' because of its egalitarianism and the fact that any team is well capable of beating any other team 
  • edited January 2020
    Laddick01 said:

Will never beat the May 87 play off v Leeds. The club would have died with relegation then.
    Three pivotal moments in the club's recent history: '87 play-off, back to The Valley, last year's play-off.  If the latter doesn't happen, the club is in decline with no immediate chance of improvement but as bollox says relegation in '87 with no prospect of a return or the return not actually happening would have killed us.
  • Laddick01 said:

Three pivotal moments in the club's recent history: '87 play-off, back to The Valley, last year's play-off.  If the latter doesn't happen, the club is in decline with no immediate chance of improvement but as bollox says relegation in '87 with no prospect of a return or the return not actually happening would have killed us.
    i would add the 98 play offs to that list, if we hadn't won that game then the likes of Mendonca were getting sold. we also wouldn't have the ground we have now or the fan base.

Last season after roughly the same number of games, the leaders Pompey had 54 points and Luton 51

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46656417

It looked like Ipswich would stride away with the division but they then hit a terrible patch. Wycombe have done the same, but then nobody expected them to be up there anyway.
  • edited January 2020
    CAFCTrev said:
    League 1 is absolutely bizarre although probably "bizarre" is a euphemism for "awful"!

I think Southend won league 1 in 2006 with about 82 points?
    They did, indeed, win it with 82 with the runner up and play off teams having 79, 76, 73, 72 & 71. Even the bottom side averaged more than a point a game.

Southend went straight back down, Barnsley, who went up via the Play Offs, finished 20th but Colchester, who were runners up, ended up a very creditable 10th. However, Colchester couldn't maintain that and were bottom the following season.

The Championship isn't particularly strong but one can't help thinking that any side that does go up will still need to strengthen considerably.
  • Netflicks out soon .. will be a laugh!
  • After taking a look today, I believe Coventry are best placed to win league 1. Of teams currently in top 7 which includes Coventry obviously. 5 of them have to go to Coventry. Coventry have also lost least games only 3, but drawn 11. In my view good position to kick on and win the league.