Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joe Ledley - training with Bristol Rovers (p12)

Comments

• edited December 2019
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    He was training with Cardiff recently to help keep himself fit.
    Right now Cardiff will see for themselves how good he still is - if they don't want him, why do we?

Because we only have two fit midfielders.

I'd offer him a contract to the middle of January. We get an extra body for the Christmas period - a half fit Ledley is probably still a better option than a someone like Vennings who is no where near first team ready - he gets some fitness and in the shop window. If he does well we can extend to the end of the season or he can get a better deal elsewhere. If he won't take such a short term deal I guess we look elsewhere, but I think an arrangement like that is a low risk gamble on both sides and both parties stand to gain from it if it goes well.
    Although Ledley, who apparently hasn't played a League match since August 2018, is hardly likely to hit the ground running. How long would we have to wait before he's up to speed?  He's 32 already - how long before he'd succomb to a random injury because his body wouldn't initially cope with the intensity of Bowyer's gameplan? In any case, if he were to be signed, it seems like for a while we'd still have only 2 fit midfielders.

Maybe Ledley was on the radar before Bowyer and Gallen knew the takeover was going to happen?
    Perhaps now they are looking at different options?
    Well that's why it's a gamble, but you're weighing up definitely having 2 fit midfielders vs possibly having 3, even if initially he's only there as a sub.
  • edited December 2019
    i suppose it could be a pay as you play deal. Then it would be a no brainer if he is available now. Mind you I doubt it as we haven't heard from other sources! Or are we waiting for takeover to be approved? I don't know :)
    Do deals like that actually exist outside of Football Manager and transfer rumour threads on internet forums? I'm not sure I've ever heard about a player actually signing such a deal.
  • i suppose it could be a pay as you play deal. Then it would be a no brainer if he is available now. Mind you I doubt it as we haven't heard from other sources! Or are we waiting for takeover to be approved? I don't know :)
    Do deals like that actually exist outside of Football Manager and transfer rumour threads on internet forums? I'm not sure I've ever heard about a player actually signing such a deal.
    I’m pretty sure James Beattie was on a similar type of contact at Sheffield United when we were both in League One a few years ago
  • edited December 2019
    When we need bodies, I’d think it highly unlikely that we’d sign a player who’s supposedly not had a club for a year.
    He’d be nowhere near fit.
    6 weeks  to get him in any kind of shape 
  • It will depend on how fit he is, but pay as you play means if he is not ready it doesn't cost you anything.
  • i suppose it could be a pay as you play deal. Then it would be a no brainer if he is available now. Mind you I doubt it as we haven't heard from other sources! Or are we waiting for takeover to be approved? I don't know :)
    Trevor Francis was at Glasgow Rangers on £1k a game - pay as you play, if memory serves. 
  • Wasn’t Ben Marshall rumoured to be trialling with us?  At 28 and having been with a club until July this year he seems a more likely free signing.
    Trevor Francis was at Glasgow Rangers on £1k a game - pay as you play, if memory serves. 
    So that's two in the last 30 years then...
  • Wasn’t Ben Marshall rumoured to be trialling with us?  At 28 and having been with a club until July this year he seems a more likely free signing.
    Weird how two players can go from being highly regarded to clubless so dramatically
  • When was the last time you can remember an injury crisis like ours? Might force you to try something that has only happened twice in the last 30 years out of necessity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nobody has asked the most important question......has Joe Ledley still got a beard?
  • I would take this one with a pinch of salt. Takeover has not even gone through yet. 
    Andy Carroll's current deal at Newcastle is a pay as you play deal.
  • edited December 2019
    i suppose it could be a pay as you play deal. Then it would be a no brainer if he is available now. Mind you I doubt it as we haven't heard from other sources! Or are we waiting for takeover to be approved? I don't know :)
    Not quite - it’s just over £20k a week basic -  regardless of if he plays or not. That figure goes up to £70k a week if he starts a game. 
  • edited December 2019
    Just been told it’s true he’s training but unlikely to be offered a contract. 

I think it’s literally a favour to let him do some training with an eye to him getting a club in January, probably good mates with Williams. 
  • Sponsored links:

You've clearly forgotten Balley Smart who played in the 4-3 League Cup defeat @ Shrewsbury Town
    You've clearly forgotten Balley Smart who played in the 4-3 League Cup defeat @ Shrewsbury Town
    I have a friend who lived in Polokwane in SA for 2 years. Smart part owns them I believe and he met him out there. 
    Not quite - it’s just over £20k a week basic -  regardless of if he plays or not. That figure goes up to £70k a week if he starts a game. 
    Scandalous! How can he be expected to get by on just £20K a week?!? I thought Ashley's Sports Direct zero hours contracts were bad enough, but taking advantage of a poor disabled boy like this... beyond the pale.

I doubt he will be starting many games.  £20k is bit of a piss take really especially after tax. 
    Scandalous! How can he be expected to get by on just £20K a week?!? I thought Ashley's Sports Direct zero hours contracts were bad enough, but taking advantage of a poor disabled boy like this... beyond the pale.

I doubt he will be starting many games.  £20k is bit of a piss take really especially after tax. 
    And he has a partner and four kids to provide for. Designer clothes, trainers, watches, mobile phones etc etc for that lot won't come cheap. 

And he has a partner and four kids to provide for. Designer clothes, trainers, watches, mobile phones etc etc for that lot won't come cheap. 
    The is notwithstanding of the fact that he is always injured and has a lot of time on his hands - he can’t be expected to sit in his mansion watching Judge Rinder. 
  • edited December 2019
    Addickted said:
    Oggy Red said:

He's 32 already - 
    Oggy Red said:
    At the age of 31, Ledley had his contract terminated.

Oggy Red said:

Something doesn't add up.

Haha ..... very good, but context my dear friend. :smile:

He's 32 now, it's December. 

He was 31 last January at the time his contract was terminated.

He hasn't played a competitive game for 16 months........ even Lewis Page has played more League games in that period.

Something doesn't add up. Like having my leg pulled. :smile:

• edited December 2019
    Just why?

Once again we've taken in a crocked veteran who's most recent playing career (some time ago) has been marked by a total lack of impact.
  • Not had a player since Hamer with a strong beard game so I'm all for signing him!