Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Ledley - training with Bristol Rovers (p12)

Comments

• Options
    I mean, I'm half Welsh, but how many Welsh players are we gonna sign? :joy:
  • Options
    Not had a player since Hamer with a strong beard game so I'm all for signing him!
    Jonny has a great beard
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I wonder if he's worth taking a risk when on looking at this but he's 32. would he add to our team?

• Options
    Lockyer, Morgan, Ledley & Williams at the players Christmas party (introduced by Tony Keohane)..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m3E1APBEdw

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Ha ..... don't forget Adam Matthews. He's got previous at Celtic:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uORKnqjSPNw
  • Options
    i suppose it could be a pay as you play deal. Then it would be a no brainer if he is available now. Mind you I doubt it as we haven't heard from other sources! Or are we waiting for takeover to be approved? I don't know :)
    Do deals like that actually exist outside of Football Manager and transfer rumour threads on internet forums? I'm not sure I've ever heard about a player actually signing such a deal.
    Andy Carroll's current deal at Newcastle is a pay as you play deal.
    Not quite - it’s just over £20k a week basic -  regardless of if he plays or not. That figure goes up to £70k a week if he starts a game. 
    Scandalous! How can he be expected to get by on just £20K a week?!? I thought Ashley's Sports Direct zero hours contracts were bad enough, but taking advantage of a poor disabled boy like this... beyond the pale.

I doubt he will be starting many games.  £20k is bit of a piss take really especially after tax. 
    He'll still get his child benefit thought won't he?

What?
  • Options
    Not had a player since Hamer with a strong beard game so I'm all for signing him!
    Jonny has an upside down head

• Options
    Cawley confirms he is training with us. 
  • Options
    "Former Crystal Palace midfielder Joe Ledley is training with Charlton."

Richard Cawley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't worry folks. Andy Carrol started tonight so his kids will eat this week.
  • Options
    Don't worry folks. Andy Carrol started tonight so his kids will eat this week.
    10k a day on food this week. 
  • Options
    he's signed - will be on bench tommorrow
  • Options
    Posted on the rumours thread - but probably belongs on here:

Call me cynical ...... but signing a player who has not played competitively for nearly a year and a half, and expecting him to quickly  cope with the physical intensity of Bowyer's gameplan, may be asking for trouble?

If we do sign Ledley ...... let's hope he doesn't come on for 15 minutes as a late sub, before missing the next 6 weeks with a groin or hamstring injury.
  • Options
    It doesn't seem like a good signing but I would've said the same about Pratley had we been in the championship when we signed him. If Ledley turns out to be half the player Pratley is though...
  • Options
    If he can sit on the bench for the next 2 months and come on and play a part that Bowyer feels would be of value.
    Then I can't understand why any fan would not be pleased.
    The alternative is no one.
    Particularly as we only managed to name 5 subs last Saturday. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    If he can sit on the bench for the next 2 months and come on and play a part that Bowyer feels would be of value.
    Then I can't understand why any fan would not be pleased.
    The alternative is no one.
    Particularly as we only managed to name 5 subs last Saturday. 
    Of which only 2 were senior professionals and both defenders.
    Our midfield option was James Vennings, who I suggest over 90% of Charlton fans had never heard of.
    I'm not sure I'd heard of him.
  • Options
    I asked for out of contract freebies to carry us until we can get decent replacements... new owners already delivering?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I asked for out of contract freebies to carry us until we can get decent replacements... new owners already delivering?
    Surely prospective new owners can't provide funds for a new signing until the club purchase has been completed?
  • Options
    I'm surprised he's match fit enough to feature so quickly, but we are desperate for bodies in midfield
  • Options
    Saw a tweet from a derby fan saying Ledley was on a free with them prior to signing and was up to speed suprisingly quickly, maybe he looks after himself regardless of a club

Echoing what many have already said but if hes good enough for bows hes good enough for me
  • Options
    https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-london-club-agree-to-sign-ex-celtic-star-joe-ledley-on-a-free/

Apparently we are "poised" to sign him. 

This looks like one of those bloggy football rumours sites though that plague my newsnow, so take it with a giant boulder of salt. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Surely prospective new owners can't provide funds for a new signing until the club purchase has been completed?
    What funds do we need for an out of contract/free, desperate for a job ?
  • Options
    I’m surprised I heard we were just letting him keep fit but hopefully it means he’s already fitter then expected so gets a chance 
  • Options
    I'm surprised he's match fit enough to feature so quickly, but we are desperate for bodies in midfield
    I doubt he's match fit enough to start but given our lack of midfield options i'm sure he's quite capable of coming on for 15 minutes if required, and he's no doubt been training and keeping fit. He's 32 not 62.

Most people on this forum under the age of 35 could run about for 15 minutes without classing themselves as 'match fit'.
    That's true on the running front - but "match fit" is quite a lot different to being "fit".  Match fit means he is both physically fit but also has his "football brain" switched on and can judge passing, crossing, ball control, etc.  plus getting to know his team-mates.  I'm sure things will click into place quickly but even Lyle Taylor will struggle for match fitness after sometime out.
  • Options
    Yann Kermorgant.................
  • Options
    cafc-west said:
    I doubt he's match fit enough to start but given our lack of midfield options i'm sure he's quite capable of coming on for 15 minutes if required, and he's no doubt been training and keeping fit. He's 32 not 62.

Most people on this forum under the age of 35 could run about for 15 minutes without classing themselves as 'match fit'.
    That's true on the running front - but "match fit" is quite a lot different to being "fit".  Match fit means he is both physically fit but also has his "football brain" switched on and can judge passing, crossing, ball control, etc.  plus getting to know his team-mates.  I'm sure things will click into place quickly but even Lyle Taylor will struggle for match fitness after sometime out.
    Agreed someone running around aimlessly for 15 minutes giving away free kicks will be a liability