Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why Are We Picking Up So Many Injuries?

I’m not sure if any of our walking wounded are going to be available or not , but at the last count we had 10 players out injured?

Last season was the same, ( although it all worked out all right in the end!) I know that’s why you have a squad , but why do you think it’s happening?

Is it because the budget is tight, and we have to take more risk on signing injury prone players?

Lee and Jacko want the playing squad to be super fit, and the players just can’t handle the training and break down?

All clubs have injuries, and just have to deal with it?

Answers on a postcard please, I’m sure it will improve, but it’s blooming frustrating going into Millwalls biggest game of the season without Taylor or Williams.

Comments

• The players don’t have an ounce of fat on them so they don’t have a cushion to protect them from knocks, whether from tackles and physical contact or from simply their own efforts such as feet hitting the ground at a slightly awkward angle. How many times have the rest of us who have the sense to carry a bit of fat on our bodies ridden a kick when playing a sport or simply done something that we’ve got up and walked away with it ?
  • The players don’t have an ounce of fat on them so they don’t have a cushion to protect them from knocks, whether from tackles and physical contact or from simply their own efforts such as feet hitting the ground at a slightly awkward angle. How many times have the rest of us who have the sense to carry a bit of fat on our bodies ridden a kick when playing a sport or simply done something that we’ve got up and walked away with it ?
    Bring back Bikey and sign Akinfenwa. That'll give us some beef
  • Some of it is having injury prone players. Page, Williams, Aneke...

Some of it is due to the intensive nature of our football. Purrington, Field, Forster-Caskey...

Others are just freak accidents. Taylor...

I doubt you're playing at the same intensity as a Championship footballer, so is the comparison really a valid one?
    I doubt you're playing at the same intensity as a Championship footballer, so is the comparison really a valid one?
    The intensity of the championship is another issue, rapidly changing direction or twisting unnaturally, both of which is constantly happening for 90 minutes every game (unless you play for Preston) causes injuries to tendons and muscles as well. Of course, what do i know, i’m Not an expert, I’ve only googled it but quite often we see a player go down and nobody has touched him 

• Page, Aneke and Williams are injury prone and likely always will be.  Some players just seem to have that bad luck through their careers (bit like Gomez at Liverpool).  

Others like Pearce, Taylor and Solly have always had a few games out each year because of the way they play. 

Then you have the likes of Kayal; Hemed, Matthews and JFC who did not do a proper pre season.  

A few bad luck stories and the odd ‘run of the mill injury” like Lapslie.

There’s no correlating relationship between body fat and impact injury. It’s likely to make no difference wether they had more body fat or not
  • Sponsored links:

• all good reasons .. + we now play a quite aggressive game .. I specially agree with @letthegoodtimesroll and mentioned this years ago .. no 'padding' and highly tuned and strung ligaments, joints and muscles (sounds like the London Philharmonic Orchestra) lead to more bruising and breakages 
  • Williams hasn't been overplayed and Taylor got injured on a dodgy pitch in the Carribean. It isn't we are injury prone but that the injuries have been to key players. 
  • Williams hasn't been overplayed and Taylor got injured on a dodgy pitch in the Carribean. It isn't we are injury prone but that the injuries have been to key players. 
    However with Williams, isn't it the case that he had just come back from the international break, and in that break Wales played him for the full 90 in two consecutive games? A player whom, if I recall right, we may never have left on the pitch for the full 90?

not sure if I am 100% right on that, but if I am, do we think his injury was a coincidence? Would be interested in @Sage view on this.
  • From this https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:352677/FULLTEXT01.pd study:

An elite team with 25 players in the squad (I think that's the size of our squad isn't it?) can expect about 50 injuries each season, half of them minor and causing absences of less than a week, but as many as eight or nine severe and causing absences of more than four weeks.

So with us being less than half way through the season we do seem to be above average with regards to severe injuries for whatever reasons - no doubt some combination of those already posted.

The study is 10 years old but I don't suppsoe things have changed that much.
  • It used to happen all the time under Curbs. And the majority of them used to be in training.

You all act like it's something new...
  • If the players were more durable & had that quality then they would be paid more & playing for other clubs. Duchatelet plays peanuts, so the players of any quality Charlton get can be likely  injury prone. Add in a small squad. 
  • edited November 2019
    Football players in England seem to get more injured than NFL football players do. I suspect there is not a lot of real science at football clubs when it comes to training and injury avoidance. I look at warmups before football matches and it seems random and informal. I suspect it is the same in training and I think this leads to a lot of injuries.
    According to the NFLPS (NFL Physicians Society), each NFL team has the following on staff (and they must be on the sidelines for all games, too):
    - 1 Chiropractor
    - 1 Dentist
    - 2 Orthopedists
    - 2 Primary Care Physicians
    - 4 Trainers
    - 1 Neurotrauma (game day consultant)
    - 1 Opthamologist
    Many of these positions pay 100,000+. According to the NFLTA (NFL Trainers Association) the average pay for "trainers" is $64,250 each. Compare that to the generic  "sports scientists" at most clubs, even PL clubs. Go online and you will see that most pay £26,000-33,000 per position. You get what you pay for.
    In the case of Charlton, we keep obtaining players with a history of injuries under the blind-hope that they were just unlucky and that the odds won't catch up to us. We never seem to learn.
  • Yes we have a number of players struggling to get to proper match fitness, but knee injuries like the ones Taylor, Williams and Field got are bad luck. Just like losing TWO players to dislocated shoulder in the same match last season - West Ham lost Lanzini to a shoulder injury yesterday after an innocuous fall, indeed Sam Billings and Ollie Pope had similar injuries in the summer.

I'm not sure Jonny's knee injury can be put down to him being overplayed, it's not as if it was a muscle strain/tear. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Like all other things, good quality and shit quality start at the top. And we know who that is. Fish rot from the head down.
  • Rumour has it as a cost saving exercise Roland has replaced all the milk at the training ground with Delicious Malk.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovfM7dvFto0 
  • Great stuff @Sage, thank you for spending so much time on replying. You started by confirming what many of us suspected:

Firstly, the budget and facilities the medical team have is not what you would expect in the Championship. So the work that they do to get them fit and through rehabilitation is a huge credit to them. We have stepped up a couple of things, such as forming a partnership with the Cryotherapy chamber in Welling, this helps with recovery and reducing the toxins within the body. But when you compare what we have to work with to other clubs in this league, it’s miles apart. They were expecting an increased budget upon promotion, it never happened...

So overall that's where the blame lies, and we have been here before with this club, most notably the season when a young Scott Parker picked up a pre-season "niggle" and spent the first two months sidelined. In that case the Board responded to fan concerns, and the regime was upgraded. Obviously there is no chance of us repeating the pressure for change successfully with this idiot in charge.

Just re Williams..it's the old club vs country conflict. I am wondering, did the club not say to Wales, look he cannot play 90 minutes, so please don't do it? And then they went and played him 2 x 90 mins in five days...That isn't right, if Wales received such a request. And if they didn't receive such a request, why not? I cannot believe, actually, that we did not make such a request.
  • Maybe we did speak with Wales about his involvement... trouble is you can understand their line of argument which would be the fact that they played Williams in what were competitive games rather than meaningless friendlies

Of course it may be a Wales decision that'll bite them in the arse too

They need to beat Azerbaijan and Hungary to qualify automatically for Euro 2020 next week - That might not even be enough if Slovakia beat Croatia and Azerbaijan - Regardless of what happens they're all but guaranteed a spot in the Play-Offs so wont be the end of the world if they dont get top two... Had they managed Jonny a bit better themselves then they too wouldnt be losing out on him this latest International Break either
  • Yeah I think wales have as much of a duty of care to the player as we do. 

We had been closely managing his minutes all season. Often coming off at 70 mins or before. If we had 2 games in a week then 60 saturday 30 wednesday etc. This is for the players good as much as the clubs.

Surely wales have that duty of care to do the same and not overplay him. 

Although as others have said and I said it at the time, having got through the wars game he should have been on the bench against derby.
  • I hope Cullens not out for too long, didn’t look good being stretchered off.
  • What is the situation with Kayal? Wasn't on the injury list Sky showed. Has he been abducted by aliens?
  • Just seen on twitter he's done his groin whilst away on international duty...fecking wonderful!!
  • Our injured xi

GK - Amos
    LB - Page
    CM - Kayal, JFC, Field, Lapslie, Cullen
    CAM - Williams, Aneke
    ST - Taylor, Hemed

Doubtful after today - Oztumer, Deji

Barring the complete lack of defence, reckon that team would do a job haha