Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mark Bright Autobiography

edited November 2019 in General Charlton

Just about to depart on holiday to Italy (I delayed the trip to go to the Toolbox ) and invested in Mark Bright’s autobiography on my Kindle . I hadn’t realised that he had been a foster child and it looks like a good read despite his Palace love in  .

Of course I couldn’t resist reading the Chapter ‘Happy at the Valley’ before the rest of the book as I always like to see what our ex players think about their time with us .

I feel he was a good player for us in the play off season and similar to Jonny Williams he has achieved success with both Charlton and Palace and I feel is quite well respected by both sets of fans .

Despite his Palace connections he really brought into the ethos of Curbs and he is ‘ grateful that I was able to be part of something that was very special in the clubs’ history ‘. And was ‘pleased and proud to be part of it ‘ and describes how our fans ‘ had suffered but never stopped supporting Charlton’ . He  ‘liked ‘ the club  and he felt ‘happy and settled ‘ and he never ‘ felt unwelcome ‘ despite his Palace connections .

He speaks about how he had arrived when a previous move to Swiss club Sion had fallen through because Sheffield Wednesday had demanded a fee . Curbs initially ‘liked the idea of taking me to the club for the last few weeks of the season to see how it worked out ‘. He said Steve Coppell gave him a good reference . He didn’t want to drift into retirement and was impressed that Curbs wanted a ‘real crack’ at promotion and that the challenge was ‘full on’.

Of course it did work out and he tells the Play off story well . Apparently Mark videoed the day because he wanted to saviour the day at Wembley as he knew the day would pass quickly .

He decided to play on for a last season in the Premier League even though Curbs warned him he wouldn’t feature much .There is one sour note . He describes an incident with Kevin Lisbie in a reserve game where Lisbie hadn’t passed to him when Brighty was in a better scoring position . Apparently Kevin told his senior colleague to ‘ f…ing shut up’ . Mark was so upset by this exchange and nearly retired early  until Curbs intervened and Lisbie apologised .

He praises Curbs man management and describes how he was allowed to spend time with his termally ill Grandmother before she died

His last day as a pro  seems to have been  memorable as his Addick colleagues chaired him off the pitch and he told them to ‘ bounce back’ and win promotion.

Comments

• My mate used to work with him (after football) & said he is a smashing bloke, very grounded. Good luck to him, thought he done a job for us.
  • The legendary video that no one, including Mark Bright, has a copy of.
  • Did well for us I thought, great flick on for Clive's first as well! Glad he thinks fondly of us
  • Always liked M B and remember him as a mentor for the CAFC young pros (was that pre academy ?) especially Kevin Lisbie .. sitting in the west stand with them during the Lord Curbishley era .. surprised that Lisbie told him to fuck off .. but I am sure that goes on between players all the time .. of course, Bright was great pals with Ian Wright .. who remembers their short lived show on R5Live ? .. very funny if self indulgent 
  • Pretty sure all bar one of his Charlton goals were headers. He was the best attacking header of a ball I've seen play for Charlton. 
  • Even better than Matt Svensson? I used to think the attacking header was the only thing in Svenssons armoury, but he was good at it.
  • I hope the OB didn't make you miss your flight. Enjoy Italy.
  • One of the few players to play for us, Palace and Millwall.

Always seemed a decent bloke.

Tony Hazel too IIRC
  • Really liked him for us. Could tell he was a classy player, although a little beyond his sell by date obviously. Bumped into him at a prodigy gig at brixton academy the day before dennis in the last minute. Asked him his thoughts on the game and he was very pro palace, much to my annoyance, but not surprising i guess! A good lad though
  • Sponsored links:

• I have met him a couple of times and he is a proper nice bloke.
    Loves Curbs, as stated above, and loves to talk about Charlton or any footy for as long as you care to.

Tony Hazel too IIRC
    Also Ricardo Fuller, Jonathan Obika and Darren Ward. 
  • Matt Tees had that hang in the air thing going for him, who was the other one...Peter Shaw, Lawrie Madden, I forget.

Tony Hazel too IIRC
    Not sure about Hazel, I think he played for Millwall and QPR.
  • Simonsen said:
    Pretty sure all bar one of his Charlton goals were headers. He was the best attacking header of a ball I've seen play for Charlton. 
    You never saw Matt Tees play then? 
  • edited November 2019
    One of the few players to play for us, Palace and Millwall.

Tony Hazel too IIRC
    Not sure about Hazel, I think he played for Millwall and QPR.
    We brought Hazell from Palace  Venables had signed him from Millwall the previous season to provide cover in their promotion push.
  • Who can forget "twinkletoes" Bobby Goldthorpe who played for both? One of my favourite inept players. And you think Sarr is an accident waiting to happen? 
  • edited November 2019

Perhaps he'll flog his book in here......in The Glades/Bromley.

Bromley on a Sunday morning is very enjoyable, normally.  Getting some breakfast, buy the NLP for the following weekend's groundhopping trip, then wonder round the shops.

Too many palice in Bromley, confirmed by this. Grrrrrrrrrrr.
  • Who can forget "twinkletoes" Bobby Goldthorpe who played for both? One of my favourite inept players. And you think Sarr is an accident waiting to happen? 
    the original threepenny bit 'ead
  • Sponsored links:

• Perhaps he'll flog his book in here......in The Glades/Bromley.

Bromley on a Sunday morning is very enjoyable, normally.  Getting some breakfast, buy the NLP for the following weekend's groundhopping trip, then wonder round the shops.

Bromley is nearer Palace than Charlton so not that surprising! Their training ground is even in Beckenham...
  • It'll gone in 6 to12 months. Just as the Charlton shop went from Bexleyheath. Palace aren't 'big' enough here. All Chelski and Arsenal. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Just after Leaburn was sold Bright cane into the team and our form dipped. The Leaburn lovers were out in force telling us all how rubbish Bright was and how selling Carlo would cost us promotion. What none or them failed to see or say was this dip in form came at the same point when Mendonca was out injured.

Mendonca came back against Huddersfield, Bright scores the winner and we never looked back.

On the morning of the Huddersfield game we had a few of our fans on Soccer AM. When asked by Lovejoy how was Bright getting on, one of our fans (Martyn Freak) answered he is useless. Was even better when Bright went on to score the winner
    Mark Mansfield called Bright a "bits and pieces" player and not as a compliment.

Excellent striker for us.
  • My memory of Bright was that he was a tough guy, not above dishing a bit out.
  • Simonsen said:
    Pretty sure all bar one of his Charlton goals were headers. He was the best attacking header of a ball I've seen play for Charlton. 
    You never saw Matt Tees play then? 
    No. 
  • It'll gone in 6 to12 months. Just as the Charlton shop went from Bexleyheath. Palace aren't 'big' enough here. All Chelski and Arsenal. 
    It was empty when I hurried past the thing yesterday.
    It was empty when I hurried past the thing yesterday.
    I saw it on Friday when I was doing a bit of shopping in town. Immediately text the Mrs and told her we have to leave Bromley now. Not having that!

• Perhaps he'll flog his book in here......in The Glades/Bromley.

This is disgraceful. However , I suspect it won’t be open long. They have one very good member of staff who keeps falling over, and The Manager is about 90. The place stinks to high heaven, nd the c
  • seth plum said:
    My memory of Bright was that he was a tough guy, not above dishing a bit out.
    this quote from Bright's wiki entry about the 1993 FA cup final .. 'He fared less well in the final itself, controversially elbowing Arsenal defender Andy Linighan in the face, causing a broken nose. Later, with the scores level in the last minute of extra time, a heavily bandaged Linighan out-jumped Bright from a corner to score the winning goal' .. unquote .. 
     I remember that to this day .. a deliberate and very nasty piece of business, worth 10 red cards and a long suspension, Bright wasn't even booked. Different 'rules' in those days lol .. I also remember that Bright apologised for it .. better late than never