Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Millwall v Charlton | Sat 9 Nov | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Millwall v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 9th November 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Robert Jones (Merseyside)

Introduction
Defeat last time out against Preston North End saw the Addicks starting slowly in November, despite their best efforts; Lee Bowyer’s men just couldn’t get going against a side who’d temporarily take top spot in the League with the points deservedly returning to Lancashire – This coming Saturday it’s a chance to try and put things right in what is a fixture that is eagerly looked for when they’re released in the summer – As per usual, the optimistic amongst us believe that this is our year, the experienced continue to remain as cautious as ever.

The Opposition
Name: Millwall (17th) | Manager: Gary Rowett
Ground: The New Den

Of course I’m talking about our noisy neighbours just seven miles down the A2 road – When you look through the history of many rivalries in this country there are few as one sided as this – Everyone know its not a happy fixture for the visitors, and with just the eleven victories (two of those coming in our very first meetings) in total, we all know there is a lot of catching up to do to make it more respectable.

As always we know what we can expect from a Millwall side who are ingrained with the mentality of not giving a single yard of ground – This is a team that will harry and press a Charlton team who like to pass the ball and as we saw against Preston its not a tactic that we like very much; Ben Thompson would prove an asset to the Addicks last season, his return to South East London from Portsmouth would be one of many reasons for their derailed promotion push, yet will surely be a thorn in our side once more as an experienced player when it comes to this South London Derby.

Yet maybe for once the odds could still be in Charlton’s favour; Millwall havent had a happy campaign this time around (despite an impressive start) – Neil Harris remained a legend in South Bermondsey by resigning from his post rather than waiting to be sacked (an disappearing tract not seen often enough in the Sport) – Incoming is the one time Addick; Gary Rowett, having had impressive stints at Burton and Birmingham, the brief centre-back is looking to revive his managerial career after a failed period at Stoke City, what better way to get the fans onside than with three points against your local rivals!!

Charlton Team News
Here’s the thing, we all know that form goes out the window in any kind of derby fixture; we know that Millwall will look to get in our faces and whilst they’ll play their own game they’ll look to make us as uncomfortable as possible when they don’t have it!!

So… Does Lee Bowyer go with experience in his team, the likes of Jason Pearce over Naby Sarr or does he go with the players that may not have a nasty side to them but can certainly pass the ball around the opposition – Regardless of the team that gets picked, we all know that any failure to win will result in a less than happy fan base!!

Phillips
Solly | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
Cullen | Pratley | Gallagher
Oztumer
Leko | Bonne

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Sarr | Oshilaja | Lapslie | Aneke | Kayal | Davison

Prediction
I’ve long given up on finding the right time for Charlton to win this fixture – Even with our form from the start of the season, with Lyle Taylor and Jonny Williams available, I’d question whether victory is achievable – Bowyer though has taught us that anything is possible, he’s broken old jinxes so lets hope this is another one, would be ironic, part of the squad that last won at Millwall, now potentially the next Manager to win at Millwall

Time to hope that there is another Kim Grant within this team, rather than another George Tucudean!!

Comments

• "Ben Thompson would prove an asset to the Addicks last season".....oops.
  • Excellent preview as usual FA. 
    I was at the toolbox on that snowy night when Kim Grant  scored the goals to beat them.
    It's been far too long to wait for another victory. 
    But Saturday is going to be a famous victory for Charlton and I'm going. 
    Millwall 0 Charlton 2
  • 1-2 Addicks win 
  • 0-0 with Cullen missing a penalty (sorry).
  • edited November 2019

Millwall v Charlton Athletic
    Saturday 9th November 2019 … 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Robert Jones (Merseyside)

Introduction
    Defeat last time out against Preston North End saw the Addicks starting slowly in November, despite their best efforts; Lee Bowyer’s men just couldn’t get going against a side who’d temporarily take top spot in the League with the points deservedly returning to Lancashire – This coming Saturday it’s a chance to try and put things right in what is a fixture that is eagerly looked for when they’re released in the summer – As per usual, the optimistic amongst us believe that this is our year, the experienced continue to remain as cautious as ever.

The Opposition
    Name: Millwall (17th) | Manager: Gary Rowett
    Ground: The New Den

Of course I’m talking about our noisy neighbours just seven miles down the A2 road – When you look through the history of many rivalries in this country there are few as one sided as this – Everyone know its not a happy fixture for the visitors, and with just the eleven victories (two of those coming in our very first meetings) in total, we all know there is a lot of catching up to do to make it more respectable.

As always we know what we can expect from a Millwall side who are ingrained with the mentality of not giving a single yard of ground – This is a team that will harry and press a Charlton team who like to pass the ball and as we saw against Preston its not a tactic that we like very much; Ben Thompson would prove an asset to the Addicks last season, his return to South East London from Portsmouth would be one of many reasons for their derailed promotion push, yet will surely be a thorn in our side once more as an experienced player when it comes to this South London Derby.

Yet maybe for once the odds could still be in Charlton’s favour; Millwall havent had a happy campaign this time around (despite an impressive start) – Neil Harris remained a legend in South Bermondsey by resigning from his post rather than waiting to be sacked (an disappearing tract not seen often enough in the Sport) – Incoming is the one time Addick; Gary Rowett, having had impressive stints at Burton and Birmingham, the brief centre-back is looking to revive his managerial career after a failed period at Stoke City, what better way to get the fans onside than with three points against your local rivals!!

Charlton Team News
    Here’s the thing, we all know that form goes out the window in any kind of derby fixture; we know that Millwall will look to get in our faces and whilst they’ll play their own game they’ll look to make us as uncomfortable as possible when they don’t have it!!

So… Does Lee Bowyer go with experience in his team, the likes of Jason Pearce over Naby Sarr or does he go with the players that may not have a nasty side to them but can certainly pass the ball around the opposition – Regardless of the team that gets picked, we all know that any failure to win will result in a less than happy fan base!!

Phillips
    Solly | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
    Cullen | Pratley | Gallagher
    Oztumer
    Leko | Bonne

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Sarr | Oshilaja | Lapslie | Aneke | Kayal | Davison

Prediction
    I’ve long given up on finding the right time for Charlton to win this fixture – Even with our form from the start of the season, with Lyle Taylor and Jonny Williams available, I’d question whether victory is achievable – Bowyer though has taught us that anything is possible, he’s broken old jinxes so lets hope this is another one, would be ironic, part of the squad that last won at Millwall, now potentially the next Manager to win at Millwall

Time to hope that there is another Kim Grant within this team, rather than another George Tucudean!!

Great post mate.... With all the banter and comments that have been posted over the last few days for this game.
    Lets be serious on this one.
    My head says the winless results against our lovely neighbours continues but my heart reckons it will finally end and we finally beat them. 
    I would start Aneke over Leko, what a game to prove that you can play in the red colours of Charlton Athletic.
    Head 3-1 Millwall
    Heart 2-1 Addicks
  •  0-2

Gallagher
    Bonne
  • cafc-west said:
    "Ben Thompson would prove an asset to the Addicks last season".....oops.
    Yeah I do wonder what would have happened to Portsmouth had they managed to keep him

They lost him on the 8th January and only won one match in the next 10 (their bad run ending of sorts against us)

Always felt that Millwall did us a massive favour doing that
  • edited November 2019
    Taylor is definitely out... Cant imagine Bowyer going to so much effort to say this for it all to be mind games

Matthews will be available though

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-lee-bowyer-adamant-lyle-taylor-is-out-of-millwall-derby/
  • Sponsored links:

• Comfortable away win 4-0.
    The one time I REALLY want you to be right

Will be bouncing off the walls and ceiling if that happens
  • 'Regardless of the team that gets picked, we all know that any failure to win will result in a less than happy fan base!!'

I disagree, I think we would all take a draw right now given our history.

I do think this is an uphill task, but not impossible. If we had Taylor/ Johnny fit I think we would have a better chance, nevertheless I think they will sneak it with a last minute winner 2-1 to the Scum :'(

• We don’t ever turn up against Millwall, we can’t play against the direct style of teams (look at Preston last week). 

Can’t see anything other than a defeat. 2-0.
    this all day long.

head says we win 0-2, Bonne and Gallagher.

the realist in me agrees with the above and just knows that will happen
  • Ball achingly predictable no show.  Best we can hope for is an unlucky draw with a ridiculous sending off for one of ours and a spawny undeserved equaliser for the Nut n Bolt gang in the 5th minute of ET.
  • 'Regardless of the team that gets picked, we all know that any failure to win will result in a less than happy fan base!!'

I disagree, I think we would all take a draw right now given our history.

I do think this is an uphill task, but not impossible. If we had Taylor/ Johnny fit I think we would have a better chance, nevertheless I think they will sneak it with a last minute winner 2-1 to the Scum :'(

I think a draw will be acceptable to many on here provided the performance merits the draw - Sort of like the 4-4 we saw at the Valley a few years ago
  • We just never seem to turn up for this one and I won't be staying up for an 11pm kick-off on the off chance we do this time.

1.0 Millwall. Terrible game. Awful ref. Lousy weather. Red cards all round.  etc etc
  • Think we're really starting to miss Taylor and Williams, but under Bowyer I never right us off. Cullen or Bonne with the winner
  • Great preview as always. I’ve gone from being really confident about this a few weeks ago to rather dreading it. We were very poor last week so let’s hope it’s a blip rather that a downturn. On the flip side of that we need to get it into our heads that Millwall are not all that great. As for new manager bounce, Rowett doesn’t exactly set any alarm bells ringing with his recent record so we should be quite positive. A draw probably beckons. 
  • 2-0 Millwall and our players freeze as usual. A great pity that Lyle isn't fit.

• Sponsored links:

• First thumping of the season ... 3-0 Millwall. Sad that I will be there to witness it.
  • 2-0 defeat . Can’t see us getting anything out of this . History will repeat itself . On to April when we play them at The Valley 
  • We wont win. That I'm sure.
  • Was stuck on the A13 in 1992 so I have never seen us win at Millwall having gone to every game since and going on Saturday.

Despite having a lot of faith in Bowyer and Jacko to get them up for it I don't expect my record to change

2-0 Millwall

• Hard to call this one. We were very poor last week, but Bowyer often gets results in the big games. I'm going for a 1-1 draw.
  • I was quite confident about this one about 4 weeks ago, alas the usual injuries and dodgy performance last time out has knocked me a bit. I hope and pray that Cullen and Gallagher will have too much running for them in midfield and that we can match them up physically. I have not seen a Lee Bowyer Charlton side bottle it and hope that will be the case come 5pm on Saturday. If I am standing in that in that karzee at the end of the game listening to status quo rocking all over the world one more time I may disembowel myself with a rusty spoon. Going for a 0-1 and a 5pm rendition of 'here we goooooooooo sh*tting all over Millwall' deluded I know but we can dream can't we..........
  • 2-1 Millwall.
    Will start the game promisingly and miss a couple of acceptable chances.
    At least 1 red card and a soft penalty, plus a late winning own goal. 
    Standard.
  • 2-0 Millwall

All day long.