Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joker - movie discussion (likely spoilers)

I saw it this afternoon.

I have to say, it is one of the best films I've ever seen.

There were a few things I didn't quite agree with but those things also made sense and I could see why they was included within the film.

I hope the movie, whether intended to or not, creates more awareness for mentally vunerable or unstable people. 

It also highlighted bullyish behaviour. People that prey on the weak. People who are not loved or cared for enough. Potential consequences that can arise. I don't mean people should use poor treatment as an excuse for bad behaviour. Everyone should take responsibility and the film is obviously just purely fictional anyway, based on a comic book character.
I just think it had a lot of relevant depth to it.

For me, it really highlighted a few key points in regards to the real world that we live in.

Batman is a comic book character loved by many...but this story enables the viewer to see things from the other side.

The audience will most likely have sympathy for the main character "Arthur" in this movie.

Vague example of comparison.

Arthur and Walter White recieve the audience's sympathy.

The Joker and Heisenberg do not.  

Robert De Niro was great in it too.

I don't understand why this film has received so many bad reviews.

Comments

• It's left very questionable as to how much of what happened really DID happen, or at the very least whether it really happened the way Arthur seems to believe it did. Because it's entirely possible that he is imagining or interpreting things to convince the audience/himself he's being bullied or victimised but it's not necessarily true.
    For example his comedy routine being a complete dud is presented as him being a victim and a laughing stock but it's not for audiences to laugh at material that isn't even funny just to make the comic feel validated. He really ISN'T very funny but he doesn't seem to realise that, just blames literally everyone else for not getting how humour.
  • Saw it today - far better than I expected. Love the way it was shot and thought Joaquin Phoenix was excellent.
  • Give this guy an oscar. Really well played and the story is relevant for today.
  • Saw it Friday night. Very dark and it left me wanting more, was the film brilliant? Honestly dunno. Joaquin Phoenix was brilliant.
  • some controversy discussed on 5Live this a.m. .. a Glitter Band track is used in the movie .. concerns that a paedophile doing a long stretch inside will benefit financially .. (I'll try to get to see the movie later this week .. looking forward to seeing it, Phoenix has developed into a superb and versatile actor) 
  • some controversy discussed on 5Live this a.m. .. a Glitter Band track is used in the movie .. concerns that a paedophile doing a long stretch inside will benefit financially .. (I'll try to get to see the movie later this week .. looking forward to seeing it, Phoenix has developed into a superb and versatile actor) 
    It’s a 20 second clip near the end of the movie when we see him in his full Joker garb for the first time .
    I must admit I felt a little uncomfortable when it played but the whole film makes you feel a little uncomfortable! 
  • Went with my daughter on Saturday afternoon. Was blown away TBH. Phoenix was terrifying and compelling in equal measure. If he doesn't get an Oscar it will be an absolute travesty.
    It’s a 20 second clip near the end of the movie when we see him in his full Joker garb for the first time .
    I must admit I felt a little uncomfortable when it played but the whole film makes you feel a little uncomfortable! 
    Its one of the best scenes in the film and the music works really well. I was a bit shocked to hear it. 

• Sponsored links:

Its one of the best scenes in the film and the music works really well. I was a bit shocked to hear it. 

Agreed 

Agreed 
    without digressing too far ..I just did a YouTube search for Gary Glitter/Glitter Band, there are a LOT of videos available .. presumably all good earners  
  • Saw it last night. If there's a better performance than Joaquin Phoenix this year, I'd like to see it. Still thinking about the film now. I thought it was incredible. And yes, I got all the De Niro/Scorsese references - King of Comedy, Taxi Driver - which is why De Niro was in it, to make the references obvious. Although no one, to my knowledge, has made a reference to this yet: 

https://youtu.be/rm81LSKJC2k

• edited October 2019
    My Wife enjoyed it, I thought it was "ok". Worth seeing.
  • Seeing this Wednesday, really looking forward to it 
  • thenewbie said:
    It's left very questionable as to how much of what happened really DID happen, or at the very least whether it really happened the way Arthur seems to believe it did. Because it's entirely possible that he is imagining or interpreting things to convince the audience/himself he's being bullied or victimised but it's not necessarily true.
    For example his comedy routine being a complete dud is presented as him being a victim and a laughing stock but it's not for audiences to laugh at material that isn't even funny just to make the comic feel validated. He really ISN'T very funny but he doesn't seem to realise that, just blames literally everyone else for not getting how humour.
    I don't believe any of it really happened.
  • Just watched it . Fantastic performance from Phoenix backed up by a brilliant soundtrack but boy is it grim . 
    If you’re feeling down in anyway don’t go anywhere near this ! 
    I think it’s one of those movies that’s going to stick in my head for quite a while . 
    If it’s a typical DC movie you are after you won’t get it with Joker . 
    Amazing film 

9 out of 10

I think it's likely to be worse....if you are in a good mood.

I was in a bad mood. Went to the cinema by myself watched the film enjoyed and actually felt better. Had a way of putting things into perspective. The random reactions of the human mind eh... 👍
  • De Niro was great.

I did personally believe that his acting performance during the live TV confrontation at the end...it wasn't great and it wasn't very believable.

That's De Niro though. A lot is expected from him at all times.
  • Saw it tonight. Excellent Film. Joaquin Phoenix deserves every award he gets for it 
  • Little things stick with me, the laugh was perfect but the walk...I can still see it now. So iconic.
    interesting reading how he prepared for the role. Keen not to be inspired by past jokers so didn’t watch them, rather he studied political assassinations.

he deserves an Oscar but I’m not sure if the negative publicity surrounding the film will ultimately encourage the academy to favour someone else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Also the sound track is brilliant
  • Well I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't buy that it is somehow irresponsible, or inciting violence. I think that's missing the point entirely - or just very smart PR by Warner Bros. as that kind of coverage is golden. 

A good friend of mine - possibly the biggest Batman and movie geek in the country - was surprisingly disappointed with it, saying "I didn’t buy it. Scenes from Phillips’ favourite movies strung together, embroidered with audience friendly hot-button issues. And Joaquin again mistaking masturbation for acting." and while I see where he's coming from, I don't have the same negative feeling. I felt it was a love letter to 70s/ 80s cinema (even down to the aspect ratio) and enjoyed it as such. 

The untrustworthy narrator thing is somethingI didn't consider until I read it here, and while it is something to think about I don't think it's the case. We were explicitly shown what he was imagining, but not in order to make us question the rest of the movie. I think that was specific to his loneliness. Him getting on TV so easily was something I didn't quite buy, I admit, but I don't put that down to his imagination. Phillips just didn't spend much time showing that process on screen. 

• cafc4life said:
    Also the sound track is brilliant
    Is that right Gary Glitter is get a wedge from one of the songs?
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    Well I thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't buy that it is somehow irresponsible, or inciting violence. I think that's missing the point entirely - or just very smart PR by Warner Bros. as that kind of coverage is golden. 

A good friend of mine - possibly the biggest Batman and movie geek in the country - was surprisingly disappointed with it, saying "I didn’t buy it. Scenes from Phillips’ favourite movies strung together, embroidered with audience friendly hot-button issues. And Joaquin again mistaking masturbation for acting." and while I see where he's coming from, I don't have the same negative feeling. I felt it was a love letter to 70s/ 80s cinema (even down to the aspect ratio) and enjoyed it as such. 

The untrustworthy narrator thing is somethingI didn't consider until I read it here, and while it is something to think about I don't think it's the case. We were explicitly shown what he was imagining, but not in order to make us question the rest of the movie. I think that was specific to his loneliness. Him getting on TV so easily was something I didn't quite buy, I admit, but I don't put that down to his imagination. Phillips just didn't spend much time showing that process on screen. 

When you see complete dross like Stavros Flatley on TV, it should make it easier to buy into.
  • cafc4life said:
    There is a ten second intro of one of his songs yes but I’m talking about the actual soundtrack . It’s on Apple Music/ITunes etc . Have a listen 
  • cafc4life said:
    cafc4life said:
    There is a ten second intro of one of his songs yes but I’m talking about the actual soundtrack . It’s on Apple Music/ITunes etc . Have a listen 
    Will do. Would've thought the old producers would've done their homework there though...
  • Whether or not the film or performances are any good, far greater examination should be made of the use of music composed by a convicted paedophile, currently incarcerated for violating a child under 13, who will receive many hundreds of thousands in royalites.  Use of the material in the film is a matter for the conscience of the film makers.  Endorsing that use by paying to see the film and thereby remunerating said rapist, is something I can't reconcile as being acceptable. 
  • edited October 2019
    Couple of scene breakdowns with director Todd Phillips .

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awoQuVq2yYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTVdN6s3rXY
  • Seems to be some of the worst decision making since Leko decided to take on another defender despite a player being completely open on the simple pass. 

Seriously though, that's pretty thick of a thing to do and I can only hope and assume, they simply didn't know or had an agreement in place that meant royalties will not be due. 
  • I would like to see this film and the song in question is a great one, but I am not going to put money in Glitter's pocket.