Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joker - movie discussion (likely spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Two points from that article.  The song is used a lot in the US so it's quite probable the music people on the film saw nothing wrong with it.  Even if they did "But, ultimately, expecting Hollywood or the music industry to prize ethics over earnings reveals a shaky understanding of the history of both".
    His music & words has been used in 118 films and TV shows including films like Boyhood , Kingpin and Small Soldiers. It was even used in Phoenix Nights as a joke but they still had to pay him Royalties for using it .  
    all long before he got his 16 years for raping a minor
  • Options
    A very very very good film!

Done there own version whilst paying homage to different stories and a bit of a Heath Ledger tribute (I felt) in there.

I thought Phoenix nailed the murderous intent that the Joker carries in comics & games etc but it was good to see the journey that took him there! Oscar worthy performance.

I hope they do another but dont expect it. Wouldnt mind the same team doing a darker Batman film with another villain. 
  • Options

Done there own version whilst paying homage to different stories and a bit of a Heath Ledger tribute (I felt) in there.

I thought Phoenix nailed the murderous intent that the Joker carries in comics & games etc but it was good to see the journey that took him there! Oscar worthy performance.

I hope they do another but dont expect it. Wouldnt mind the same team doing a darker Batman film with another villain. 

The director Todd Phillips said there is no chance of Joaquin Phoenix's villain and Robert Pattinson's Batman ever crossing over on the big screen. He added that doesn't mean Pattinson won't ever possibly face off against Joker, it just won't be his version.

Personally I think that's a real shame.
  • Options

The director Todd Phillips said there is no chance of Joaquin Phoenix's villain and Robert Pattinson's Batman ever crossing over on the big screen. He added that doesn't mean Pattinson won't ever possibly face off against Joker, it just won't be his version.

Me too... Can't believe they made that sparkly tart batman. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Huskaris said:

It does seem an odd choice but so was Ben Affleck in my opinion.

He's got a massive fan base which i suspect it one of the reasons he was chosen.
  • Options

Oh sorry I meant id like to them to do a Batman film with Two Face as a Villain or someone. See what they could with a storyline like that. 

I did read that they wont cross paths, which yeah I agree is a massive shame.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Think age is something to do with it aswell. Think the film there doing there is an inexperienced Batman going out into the big wide world!

Joker wont have done it any favours though, people would scrutinise it more than they did before.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Think age is something to do with it aswell. Think the film there doing there is an inexperienced Batman going out into the big wide world!

Joker wont have done it any favours though, people would scrutinise it more than they did before.
    And there’s definitely scope for this, what with Gotham taking this angle, but cutting off at that point.
  • Options
    Just saw it tonight. Loved it. Fantastic. 

Actually would like to go and see it again. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Superb. Brilliant photography, acting, sets
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    It would be interesting to see a similar job down on the Penguin. I quite liked the Batman returns Penguin. It could be themed around bullying and how it damages people.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

It does seem an odd choice but so was Ben Affleck in my opinion.

He's got a massive fan base which i suspect it one of the reasons he was chosen.
    There’s quite an extensive casting process before someone gets a role, even a big name like Pattinson, so I reckon he will match the creative vision. To his credit, and Kristen Stewart’s, they’ve both chosen off-beat and interesting movies since leaving the Twilight yawn fest behind. 

Also, Keaton (who was a comedy actor at the time), Bale and even Kilmer and Clooney all got slated when they were first announced. None of them were bad (even if the films around them were in the latter cases). It’s really impossible to predict until you see what the director has in mind. 
  • Options
    Yep, saw it last weekend and loved it so much that I didn’t want it to end. Totally believable, great acting and very moving throughout. Highly recommend it.
  • Options
    Me and my son are seeing it again at the iMax in Waterloo.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Just seen it with wife and no 2 son seeing it for a second time

Whst a performance by JP. Utterly compelling, beautifully controlled , and his ability to carry all of the layers of the character with the Joker fully emerging at the end was masterful

super dark ....and yet we all had empathy for him which in and of itself Is unsettling   
  • Options
    Saw it on Wednesday and thought it was fantastic. Definitely would happily see it again at the cinema. The story and how it was played left things very much open to interpretation but that’s the beauty of it as well. I thought there were some really important and poignant messages in it that leaves you walking away contemplating how you are and treat others. It was brilliant and considering the time of year it has been released, fits in well with the world mental health day the other day too.

For me, if people want to moan about the music that was played, that’s up to them and you’re entitled to that, but you’ll honestly be missing the point of the film, what they’re trying to get you to think about, and even the point of why they decided to include it.

Highly recommend to anyone yet to see it.
  • Options
    Brilliant film, saw it on Thursday and am still thinking about it. Phoenix must get an Oscar or it will be a travesty.

I don’t really know any Glitter songs so didn’t recognise it in the film but God knows why they choose anything from him, hopefully it’s replaced in future cuts. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And let’s not forget Phoenix was in every scene of the film. (Well, spoilers, apart from a very short scene with Thomas Wayne at the end). Has to be a shoe in for an Oscar. Has to be.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Despite being uneasy about the use of Rock and Roll Part 2, I have seen the film today. Basically, everybody telling me I must see it so I gave in. Firstly, Phoenix does deserve an Oscar. It doesn't matter if he gets one or not, everybody knows he deserves one. It is a very interesting film on so many levels. What the film did was have a bit of you cheering him on when he was doing some gruesome acts. I suppose it helps when those people had it coming. But we cheer on vigilantes and James Bond, and the film manipulates us seeing how this pitiful character is so badly treated.

Batman's dad was portrayed as a right a*hole, which was weird as it is counter to every way he has been portrayed before. Bruce Wayne an emotionless, cold child. I'm surprised DC sanctioned it, but I am glad they did. They can't pit this Joker against Batman as most of the audience will be rooting for Joker! I suppose not knowing what was true and what wasn't helps.

As for the piece of music. It was only 20 seconds and did frame a pivotal moment in the film well. Could they have used another piece of music? I think so, but it did match the scene.

Not being clear what was Arthur's reality or imagination was very clever. I liked his stand up act, watched by his girlfriend, Then him appearing on TV so the act was real but his girlfriend/neighbour was shown not to be his girlfriend. Very clever and thought provoking. I suppose we may all process what we think was true and not true differently, which is clever. 

This wasn't a super hero movie in style. Though probably, no definitely, the best Super Hero comic book adaptation ever in my eyes. The sort of movie you keep thinking about afterwards. 
  • Options
    If anyone on this thread hasn't seen it yet, may I humbly suggest you watch it at the iMax in Waterloo. It is incredible and more uncomfortably intimate on that giant screen.

There was so much visually that I hadn't noticed when I saw it the first time, little touches of detail, like the bit when he's making funny faces to the kid on the bus and he has a bit of shaving foam still on his face, because, let's face it, this is not the sort of guy who's going to shave meticulously.

SPOILERS, I think we can agree that the girlfriend was the only thing that didn't happen and, obviously, the fantasy when Arthur's invited out of the audience on the Murray Franklin show.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    If anyone on this thread hasn't seen it yet, may I humbly suggest you watch it at the iMax in Waterloo. It is incredible and more uncomfortably intimate on that giant screen.

There was so much visually that I hadn't noticed when I saw it the first time, little touches of detail, like the bit when he's making funny faces to the kid on the bus and he has a bit of shaving foam still on his face, because, let's face it, this is not the sort of guy who's going to shave meticulously.

SPOILERS, I think we can agree that the girlfriend was the only thing that didn't happen and, obviously, the fantasy when Arthur's invited out of the audience on the Murray Franklin show.
    Ah, I thought it was white makeup from his clown act that he still had on his face.
  • Options
    I thought the Bale films were brilliant.
    Bale has been the best Batman for me so far
  • Options
    I thought the Bale films were brilliant.
    I can’t see any further Batman film outdoing anything that Nolan did.
  • Options
    Also MASSIVE SPOILER

The final scene when he leaves the bloody footprints in the mental institute and gets chased back and forth across the hall, are we to infer that he killed the psychiatrist, or whatever her title was, who asked him what was so funny?

• Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Also MASSIVE SPOILER

The final scene when he leaves the bloody footprints in the mental institute and gets chased back and forth across the hall, are we to infer that he killed the psychiatrist, or whatever her title was, who asked him what was so funny?

That was my interpretation as well.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    Also MASSIVE SPOILER

I think so - but I think that may have been fantasy, someone who had committed the crimes he had wouldn’t have been completely unshackled as he appeared in that scene.