Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Earworms

Doctor, am I mad or is this just a sign of old age? I keep getting these tunes in my head (not even good ones), and they don't leave me. It's not just Earworms I'm suffering from though, but Tourettes Earworms. As soon as it's in there it has to come out verbally. Here are the ones that are causing me trouble at the moment:
- Karl Howman's classic, 'Oi have you sussed new Windowlene Plus'.
- Ben Stiller's 'Mr Moose likes to say good words' from Meet the Fockers.
- Badger, Badger, Mushroom.

These will usually be preceded by a burst of Gilbert and Sullivan. 'I have a song to sing, you - sing me your song then'.

Can you help me, doc?

Comments

• sing three lions to yourself.
  • Hum the tune out loud and it will go from your head.

Seriously, it works.
  • 'Hey Jealousy' by the Gin Blossoms - absolutely corking track, but the most adhesive long lived earworm imaginable. What's really bugging me is I barely recall any of the lyrics, save for something about the "...Cops chase us around..."
    3 weeks now muttering some unintelligible drivel to something like the tune, ad nauseam repeating "Hey, Jealousy... Hey jealousy"
    Try it, you'll like it.
  • Someone’s knocking at the door...
    Somebody’s ringing the bell.....
  • It's magic you know
    Never believe it's not so
  • cafctom said:

Someone’s knocking at the door...

Are they wearing white coats ?

• cafctom said:

Along the same line we have, "I'm thinking about my doorbell, when you gonna ring it" in our house. I fact for a short while we had a programmable doorbell and that was the tune of choice.
  • bobmunro said:

Hum the tune out loud and it will go from your head.

Seriously, it works.

Well, I'll give it a go but I'm sceptical.
  • cafctom said:

My kids sing that every morning when the Postie comes and if I am home I can’t get it out of my head for hrs

To the point where I sing it with them
  • Sponsored links:

• Barbara Streisand?
  • This thread has come in the nick of time because for some reason I’ve been singing Aqua’s classic ‘Barbie Girl’ since about dinnertime. Nothing wrong with that I guess unless it happens to be on the landings of a High Security prison. No wonder the cons think I’m a bit odd.
  • I’m going to throw “Hey Jude” into the mix. One that just won’t go away.
  • Earworms were invented by adults to encourage children to bathe/wash themselves.
    You can google it and everything
  • Today, for some perculiar reason, I have 'Close every door to me' from Joseph's technicolour dreamcoat. I've never been to see it, my only link with it was doing it when in Junior school. I can remember the old hall we did it in. Parents came to watch etc. Hurst Junior school if anyone saw the production.
  • edited October 2019
    saw an excerpt from her new book ..  Debbie Harry about Phil Spector .. cachinnggg ..of all the Spector produced songs, this one has become my latest earworm (and it's not even written by Spector) .. it's …. 'Frosty the Snowman' ..
  • I was in London for a few days and did quite a few trips on the Jubilee. They need to rename Waterloo. F*****g ABBA. 

And Baker St while they are at it. 
  • Arrgghh, I'd forgotten about this, but just re-read my opening post.  They're coming back!
  • Lucky lucky lucky me, I'm a lucky son of a gun....

• I went to a conference down in Bristol a few years back and on one of the evenings the "entertainment" was a Wurzels tribute band (honest). For the next three days, which included a flight to the US, I had that bloody Combine Harvester song stuck in my head. What finally shifted it was on the stop over in New York, Elbow were playing, I went along and thankfully they flushed it out. I'll always be grateful to Guy Garvey and Co for that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Today, for some perculiar reason, I have 'Close every door to me' from Joseph's technicolour dreamcoat. I've never been to see it, my only link with it was doing it when in Junior school. I can remember the old hall we did it in. Parents came to watch etc. Hurst Junior school if anyone saw the production.
    I went to my daughter's harvest festival last week, and I've got a song about conkers stuck in my head. It's wasn't even that catchy
  • edited October 2019
    Shopping and seeing “Easy Peelers” - tangerines. 
    The rest of the time on the shop is Phil Collins  running around my brain. 

Easy lover (She’s an easy peeler)
    She'll get a hold on you believe it 
    Like no other 
    Before you know it you'll be on your knees…
  • Ah the beauty of different languages. Earworm, there is no such word in Chinese but it perfectly describes the experiences I often have. :D

• edited October 2019
    I think we nicked it from German - ohrwurm. I have a particularly niche one at the moment, which I'll be amazed if anyone recognises
    I am the man who arranges the blocks
    that descend upon me from up above...
  • Not exactly the correct lyrics but in my working life I'd often 

Wake up, get outta bed
    drag the comb across my head
    Go downstairs and have a cup.

Nowadays I just get stuck in the middle with you.  For some unknown reason I sometimes recite the words angrily whilst driving alone (yes I have to be alone :neutral: ).

Clowns to the left of me,
    Jokers to the right, here I am,
    Stuck in the middle with you. 
  • Not sure why, but I always want to check that my ear is still there when I Stealers Wheel.
  • I suggested the cure earlier on in this thread.

It really does work.

• Don't suffer from ear worms. I've got my own personal jesus.

• bobmunro said:

I suggested the cure earlier on in this thread.

It really does work.

Thanks for that, now I've got Cata Cata Cata Cata Caterpillar in my head  ;)