Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tyrone Mears training with Charlton

Comments

• The problem with this is, at 37, there is no resale value.

I suppose it depends on his character. Another Pratley? Yes please! A 37 year old looking for his last payday? I'm not sure...
  • Sounds like Solly will be first choice then with Mears as the experienced cover for when / if Solly is injured

Completely agree though Loopy, would only sign based on his character but reckon Bowyet will make a good judgement
  • edited August 2019
    I think at 37 (and free?) there are more problems than resale value..
  • Not sure on this one... But in Bows we trust. Could be good to have an experienced defender guiding some of the youth. 
  • This season's Mark Bowen? 
  • The problem with this is, at 37, there is no resale value.

I suppose it depends on his character. Another Pratley? Yes please! A 37 year old looking for his last payday? I'm not sure...
    There is no resale value with any player in terms of squad reinvestment.  It's completely arbitrary how much Duchatelet invests in the team and commands for sales.

From a football perspective we'll be better off with a team of proven players that can keep us in this league and competing until he eventually sells.

Any player we sign that has mega resale value will likely be palmed off at well below market value/ potential going on evidence to date.
  • It's good we have him training for a week. If Bow doesn't think he has it anymore then he wont sign him.
  • there are more and more 'elderly' players (lol) as well as young tyros in pro football nowadays, tribute to modern fitness and dietary regimes. If Bowyer thinks that Mears can do a job, then that will do for me. We need cover in defence from someone who does not necessarily expect to play very often. Perhaps Mears could also assist in coaching the juniors
  • worth 200k euros according to the very reliable Transfermarket : - )
  • He’s 36 - think a bit of experience is actually pretty good. If he has looked after himself which seems to be the case, he would compliment Pratley and Pearce nicely in that respect 
  • Sponsored links:

• I would also add that I have generally good memories of experienced defenders coming in towards the end of their careers.......

Mark Bowen
    Chris Whyte (he did a great job for us)
    Jorge Costa
    Christian Dailly
  • I would also add that I have generally good memories of experienced defenders coming in towards the end of their careers.......

Mark Bowen
    Jorge Costa
    Christian Dailly
    Alou Diarra was decent for us too

We brought in Motta and Fanni in the dreaded 2015/16 season, both were ok but took too long to get match fit. 
  • wonder if we are switching to a flatter 442
  • If Bow says yes.....then he's good enough!
  • How many games did he play for West Brom last season?
  • Not sure why people are mentioning a resale value. 
    If he proves his fitness he will be offered a contract until the end of the season and then released. 
    Gives us good cover for Solly as we have a  lot of Saturday  Tuesday games coming up. 
  • Misread this and thought it said Tyrone Mings!!
  • Interesting move this.  Sort of assumed that Nathan Thompson was the obvious one.  Presumably Bowyer wants some extra experience though, which seems logical
  • Sponsored links:

• As long as our defence is rock solid , i don't care how old they are, thought we looked like a league one defence on Saturday :(  sorry if thats burst anyones bubble.

Wonder if Nathan Thompson's wages were outside our budget?
  • Interesting move this.  Sort of assumed that Nathan Thompson was the obvious one.  Presumably Bowyer wants some extra experience though, which seems logical
    Yes, essential for this season's promotion push. :wink:

• As long as our defence is rock solid , i don't care how old they are, thought we looked like a league one defence on Saturday :(  sorry if thats burst anyones bubble.

Wonder if Nathan Thompson's wages were outside our budget?
    We look very poor playing out from the back and Lockyer looks careless with some of his passing - is it better to get the ball upfield a bit quicker? If our defenders aren't the best technically should we be knocking the ball about at the back?

I am concerned that we will gift goals away playing like this. Not a fan of the short goal kicks...

Mark Bowen
    Jorge Costa
    Christian Dailly
    Roger Johnson, Rhys Williams, Gary Doherty.

Wait.
    Roger Johnson - attitude problem
    Doherty - slowest footballer ever
    Williams - wasn't remotely fit

Mad signings
  • Trust Bowyer on this.
    This. At the back you want players with experience. It makes me laugh when people write off Solly in their posts yet when the games come around he regularly puts attackers and defenders in his back pocket and gets on with the game without any fuss - to be able to do that comes from experience. If LB thinks Mears can do a job then sign him up.
  • Trust Bowyer on this.
    This. At the back you want players with experience. It makes me laugh when people write off Solly in their posts yet when the games come around he regularly puts attackers and defenders in his back pocket and gets on with the game without any fuss - to be able to do that comes from experience. If LB thinks Mears can do a job then sign him up.
    I trust LB to try and get the best out of players and work with the resources available within a limited budget. That's as much as we can expect.