Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tyrone Mears training with Charlton

Comments

• Misread this and thought it said Tyrone Mings!!
    You're not the only one 😳
  • I would also add that I have generally good memories of experienced defenders coming in towards the end of their careers.......

Mark Bowen
    Chris Whyte (he did a great job for us)
    Jorge Costa
    Christian Dailly
    Roger Johnson, Rhys Williams, Gary Doherty.

Wait.
    Roger Johnson - attitude problem
    Doherty - slowest footballer ever
    Williams - wasn't remotely fit

Mad signings
    Bonkers. The saddest thing about Doherty is he'd just had a brilliant season for Norwich in L1 where they won the league and I couldn't believe they'd let him go at the end of it. I was really excited to get him in and it turned out Norwich had seen that he was shot by the end of that season and that's why we were able to get him. A real let down that one.

Johnson did the job in his first spell but bringing him in a year after we'd decided he wasn't good enough having spent the last sixth months playing football in India was insane.
    Doherty and Llera still give me nightmares...
  • Sign him for six months.

Send Wiredu on loan to L1 / L2 for six months and reassess in January. 
  • markmc68 said:
    37 and a free agent. He needs to get down millers on a Friday night. 

HE's 36 !!!!!!!1

says it is the article linked to the thread. Google it if you want to.

Birthday is February 18th 1983.  Not 37 until late in the season.

good enough for me

• I would also add that I have generally good memories of experienced defenders coming in towards the end of their careers.......

Mark Bowen
    Chris Whyte (he did a great job for us)
    Jorge Costa
    Christian Dailly
    Roger Johnson, Rhys Williams, Gary Doherty.

Wait.
    Roger Johnson - attitude problem
    Doherty - slowest footballer ever
    Williams - wasn't remotely fit

Mad signings
    Bonkers. The saddest thing about Doherty is he'd just had a brilliant season for Norwich in L1 where they won the league and I couldn't believe they'd let him go at the end of it. I was really excited to get him in and it turned out Norwich had seen that he was shot by the end of that season and that's why we were able to get him. A real let down that one.

Johnson did the job in his first spell but bringing him in a year after we'd decided he wasn't good enough having spent the last sixth months playing football in India was insane.
    very accurate assessment .. I thought just the same at the time 
  • How many games did he play for West Brom last season?

Not sure if you said this as a prompt to emphasize it's a low number ?

But 7 is the score on the doors for last season at WBA after spend 3 seasons in the USA and being away from his 4 children.

Darren Moore said Tyrone is a very fit lad who looks after his self.
    If Mears is in the last chance saloon at least it has a gym unlike Roger Johnson's which mainly had a selections of various lagers.
  • It's 13 years since Dowie tried to sign him. (Jeebus! How time flies!)
  • Stefco said:
    It's 13 years since Dowie tried to sign him. (Jeebus! How time flies!)
    Wasn’t it Billy Davies who was after him to bring him with him from Preston when he was looking at taking over?
  • Sponsored links:

• Stefco said:
    Wasn’t it Billy Davies who was after him to bring him with him from Preston when he was looking at taking over?
    He may well have done, had he taken the job, but I remember it was Dowie who was on the hunt for a while. In the end it was WHU who got him. I doubt he would've gotten past Luke Young at the time anyhow, & from what my old fading memory recalls, he didn't really make an impact at Upton Park.
  • Stefco said:
    Stefco said:
    He may well have done, had he taken the job, but I remember it was Dowie who was on the hunt for a while. In the end it was WHU who got him. I doubt he would've gotten past Luke Young at the time anyhow, & from what my old fading memory recalls, he didn't really make an impact at Upton Park.
    It is on his Wiki page that we were in for him. 
  • Ten years too late but I'll trust in Bow.
  • Stefco said:
    42 year old Darren Purse is sitting by the phone waiting the call from Cafc.

As he is now coach at Oxford he is suffering from a grating noise in his ear when at work. It's not tinnitus but Robboitis !

• There is a cure for it, get rid of Robinson or find another job miles away.
  • Oggy Red said:
    A while back now, but this made me smile.:

"Tyrone Mears is expected to face disciplinary action from Derby County after he flew out to Marseille for a trial against the wishes of his employers ......

The story gained a bizarre twist when it was also reported this morning that Mears had had to climb through a window and crawl past manager Paul Jewell's office at Derby's training ground to collect his boots before sneaking away to meet Marseille officials."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/aug/29/derbycounty.marseille

To be fair, I don't blame him for trying to climb out a window a crawl past Paul Jewell
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    A while back now, but this made me smile.:

"Tyrone Mears is expected to face disciplinary action from Derby County after he flew out to Marseille for a trial against the wishes of his employers ......

The story gained a bizarre twist when it was also reported this morning that Mears had had to climb through a window and crawl past manager Paul Jewell's office at Derby's training ground to collect his boots before sneaking away to meet Marseille officials."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/aug/29/derbycounty.marseille

Equally, he played an international friendly for Jamaica, believing he was of Jamaican heritage.

Turns out his dad was in fact Sierra Leonean and he then asked for his cap to be rescinded by FIFA.

Absolute banter footballer.
    Only completely the wrong continent!
  • Sponsored links:

• Life begins at 40 right? Maybe we'll revitalise his career?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Life begins at 40 right? Maybe we'll revitalise his career?
    Agree, people see he is 41 and just write him off but he may still have something to offer
  • At 42 he is only marginally older than Buffon, who is still one of the best in the world. 
  • edited August 2019
    I see the way this thread is going. Number 43. 
  • at 44 he'll only be 6 years behind the current oldest professional player Kazuyoshi Miura, who plays in Japan
  • 45, can he beat Stanley’s record? 
  • 45, can he beat Stanley’s record? 
    At 46 he is getting nearer
  • 47 was always a good number for Charlton!