Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The times when you've met a random charlton fan.

Apologies if there's already a thread on this 

But have you ever had a random conversation with an individual, only to find out later that they are in fact a Charlton fan....even if they prematurely got on your nerves?

Comments

• A business meeting in Edinburgh many years ago - about data. Maybe it was the southern accent that got to me but managed to get football into the conversation only to unearth a fellow Addick. 

Also accosted someone in a CAFC shirt at Glasgow Queen St station a few years ago - up here on holiday but a bit taken aback by my friendliness.
  • Meeting a class of 6/7 year old with our dogs, a child stood to ask if I was a Charlton supporter as he was. Apparently his his dad told him I was visiting the school with our dogs, I’ve still no idea who his dad is.
  • Philip Island, Melbourne and Cordoba Argentina have to be my stand outs. 
  • On holiday somewhere on the Costa del Sol about 15 years ago. Wandered into a random bar, purely because we'd been walking for too long - delighted to find loads of Charlton stuff on the walls, lovely people behind the bar, although they made me and my mate doing Red, Red Robin and Valley Floyd Road on karaoke. Cracking night, brilliant people, maybe they post on here? Reckon they were about 40 back in 2006. If it's you, hello and thanks!
  • My son was wearing his green Viglen shirt at the Calgary stampede this year when he met a fellow addick who lives in Alberta. 
  • McBobbin said:
    Philip Island, Melbourne and Cordoba Argentina have to be my stand outs. 
    When I went to Philip Island, I saw a spanner and some penguins.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was up country in Malaysia in a small village near the sea. This was around the Di Canio year in the Premier League. I was looking for somewhere to get some lunch in a sort of market area. I spotted a young lady wearing a Charlton shirt who appeared to be a local and felt that I had to ask her why she supported Charlton. I went up to her asked her why Charlton. She looked at me confused for a while as though she had never heard of Charlton. I pointed at her shirt. She laughed “very cheap at market”. It transpired that Charlton shirts were 8 Ringgit cheaper than Man U shirts, the team she really supported, but the same colour.
    Obviously wasn’t Roland selling it.
  • Pretty much every other local football fan "I used to go and watch Charlton as a kid"

Usually a United fan or not a fan at all.
  • Sitting in a roadside Cafe just outside Yeovil last Saturday with my SE7 T Shirt on some bloke walked up to me and said "not going to Blackburn then" and gave me the thumbs up, jumped in his car and drove off.  Another time I was in a meeting in Belgium just after we beat Sunderland 1998 and the CEO of this company was a Man Utd fan but his dad was an Addick and they watched the play off game in a bar in Malaysia together.  
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Pretty much every other local football fan "I used to go and watch Charlton as a kid"

Usually a United fan or not a fan at all.
    Kids for a quid games usually put a lot of kids off football, seemed to remember they nearly all finished 0:0 or 0:1.
  • About 20 years back I was on a canal barge on The Thames heading Westward, somewhere around the Oxford area.
    Coming towards us was another canal barge flying a big (and I do mean big), CAFC flag with an oldish fella sitting down at the stern tiller.
    I was actually sitting on the roof and as we slowly drifted past each other I jumped up in excitement and waved my hands in the air whilst shouting ‘Up the Addicks”....we were no more than 15 feet apart, he couldn’t have missed me or failed to hear me.
    To my complete amazement he just looked straight ahead stoney faced without so much as a glance left or right!
    The people I was with were Chelsea fans and pissed themselves laughing as we slowly drifted apart and looked back at him in amazement.
    To this day I wonder who the hell he was.....anyone got an idea, there can’t be many Addicks who had a canal barge with a big F’off Charlton flag flying off the stern.
    I think it might have been Two_Sheds!
    Deafened by the North Stand, sorry Covered End Choir.
  • My son was wearing his green Viglen shirt at the Calgary stampede this year when he met a fellow addick who lives in Alberta. 
    Yeahaaa!
  • On a cruise around South America a few years back,got onto the subject of football with an Asian Waiter,what he did not know about Charltons recent history at the time wasnt worth knowing,I was gobsmacked.
    Similar thing a few years back in Mauritius. One of the waiters in the hotel restaurant knew an astonishing amount about Charlton ... said he’d got interested when we got promoted to the Premiership. 
  • masicat said:
    Bloke pulled up next to me at the lights in Bickley last week and tooted for me to roll my window down. He had seen my Charlton plate and asked me if I was going today. He then told me his grandfather was a bloke called Whitaker who played in the 1947 cup final. He said he was a fan, but not going back until Douchbag has gone. Of course, he might well be on here.
    What’s your number plate masicat?
  • Sponsored links:

• masicat said:
    masicat said:
    Bloke pulled up next to me at the lights in Bickley last week and tooted for me to roll my window down. He had seen my Charlton plate and asked me if I was going today. He then told me his grandfather was a bloke called Whitaker who played in the 1947 cup final. He said he was a fan, but not going back until Douchbag has gone. Of course, he might well be on here.
    AD11CKS 
    Nice one....I have 1905 CA.
  • stonemuse said:
    On a cruise around South America a few years back,got onto the subject of football with an Asian Waiter,what he did not know about Charltons recent history at the time wasnt worth knowing,I was gobsmacked.
    Similar thing a few years back in Mauritius. One of the waiters in the hotel restaurant knew an astonishing amount about Charlton ... said he’d got interested when we got promoted to the Premiership. 
    Might be the same bloke? B)
  • edited August 2019
    At secondary school in the early 2000s. Lost a football that had our badge on it. The caretaker gave it back to me and I think it turned out he was or had been a season ticket holder in the Covered End. I live 60 odd miles away from The Valley so you don’t expect to bump into another Charlton fan too often.
  • Scoham said:
    At secondary school in the early 2000s. Lost a football that had our badge on it. The caretaker gave it back to me and I think it turned out he was or had been a season ticket holder in the Covered End.
    Where?
  • masicat said:
    masicat said:
    AD11CKS 
    Nice one....I have 1905 CA.
    Like that. What has amazed me is the number of times people comment. I have a couple of sons who are desperate for the plate, but they will have to wait.
  • There’s a young lad in the gym who sees my charlton shorts and then says to me “do you support Charlton? Me too!” - he’s done it two or three times now. 

Also so there was someone who approached me when I was walking to my house a couple of years back (he’d seen the CAFC sticker in my car iirc). I think he said he’s mates with a Lifer. 

• Was playing a 7 aside tourney up here in Leeds last summer and played against a team with 2 or 3 Iranians (all foreign exchange students and about 20).

Got talking and although they were Liverpool fans they knew a lot about Charlton because of our superstar Karim Bagheri. One of them has been following us because he told me he hated both Bowyer and Roland. 
  • Scoham said:
    At secondary school in the early 2000s. Lost a football that had our badge on it. The caretaker gave it back to me and I think it turned out he was or had been a season ticket holder in the Covered End.
    Where?
    Bexhill