Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The times when you've met a random charlton fan.

Comments

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Also so there was someone who approached me when I was walking to my house a couple of years back (he’d seen the CAFC sticker in my car iirc). I think he said he’s mates with a Lifer. 

You don't know a threat when you hear one?
  • Options
    Back in 2003 we were in Orlando, Florida in one of the theme parks - thousands of people milling around. I was wearing my Charlton shirt when I was grabbed from behind in a bear hug. It was obviously not one of my family. I turned round to see one of my buddies who we used to drink with in the old Liberal Club. He too had his Charlton shirt on. Oddly enough we bumped into each other more than once that day.
  • Options
    I live in Surrey. A couple of months ago I told a neighbour a few houses away whom I have been on nodding acquaintance with for some years that I was off to the play-off final. All I knew about him was that before he retired he had owned his a bakery somewhere in central London. When I told him about the play off final he told me that he lived in Orpington when he was growing up and used to go and watch Charlton in the 1950s. 
  • Options
    A hostel in Buenos Aires 
  • Options
    Went on Holiday to Fuerterventura a few years ago and bagged our spot by the pool. Too other couples pitched up soon after. Turned out one was a Charlton fan from Sheppy and the other bloke was from Whitstable and supported Millwall ... I didn’t talk to him very much 😂😂 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    robroy said:
    Never met the fan. But was in a toilet in Toronto and there was a Roland Out sticker on the wall
    @robroy you mean Toronto as in Canada?
  • Options
    In Valencia a few years ago I got to talking to and English bloke - turned out he sat 5 rows behind me in the covered end.
  • Options
    Floebot said:
    cafc-west said:
    Play off final day.  I was in the intensive care unit of Guys hospital.  They wheeled in some guy who had been called in urgently for a kidney transplant.  Just before the op his blood pressure plummeted and they couldn’t do it.  In the afternoon I was getting iPad ready to watch on-line when I realised he was doing the same - turned out that not only was he a lifelong fan but also had Wembley tickets for the final and had missed out!
    How was his blood pressure after that?
    It did come up a bit!!
  • Options
    Wembley 1998. Sat next to a Charlton fan in the Charlton end. According to the matchday programme that day, it should have been a random event.

ps shouldn't the title be "the times when you have randomly met a Charlton fan"? The event is random, not the fan...
  • Options
    robroy said:
    Never met the fan. But was in a toilet in Toronto and there was a Roland Out sticker on the wall
    Yes mate 
  • Options
    In 2000 i was in New Zealand and met an old chap who had lived in Nz most of his life.  His name was Charlton and he claimed it was because his Dad had supported the club.  Would have made his Dad one of our first fans by the age of him.  He had never been to a game himself.

Also 3 years ago I came across a Charlton car sticker in the back window of one of the very few cars on Unst.  Britains most northerly inhabited island with 630 people.  Sadly didn’t meet the owner.
  • Options
    Last year on a small beach in Rhodes the chap next to me also had a Charlton towel
    Nice fella season ticket holder
    This year only saw a Blackburn and a couple of dozen man utd ones!
    We probably had the only 2 Charlton towels in the whole of rhodes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019
    masicat said:
    Bloke pulled up next to me at the lights in Bickley last week and tooted for me to roll my window down. He had seen my Charlton plate and asked me if I was going today. He then told me his grandfather was a bloke called Whitaker who played in the 1947 cup final. He said he was a fan, but not going back until Douchbag has gone. Of course, he might well be on here.
    He must be related to me then, because my mum is related to Billy Whitaker (so I suppose I am as well).
  • Options
    Used to work as a photographer in the 90's taking pictures of babies. I met a colleague at a meeting and found out we were both fans. Sadly he 'left the company' after police found approx £8k of business takings in a carrier bag in his wardrobe. Never saw him again. 

Daughter just went to Zante for a holiday and got talking to another tourist, found out they were both Addicks and the rest is history..........no they didn't fall in love but matching #Rolandout tattoos followed. 👍
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Also so there was someone who approached me when I was walking to my house a couple of years back (he’d seen the CAFC sticker in my car iirc). I think he said he’s mates with a Lifer. 

You don't know a threat when you hear one?
    I’ve got a feeling he said he knew @ElfsborgAddick so he might know, but not sure. 
  • Options
    robroy said:
    robroy said:
    Yes mate 
    No it weren't me then

;)
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    A hostel in Buenos Aires 
    Uncanny, I was wondering around the San Telmo market whilst in Buenos Aires 18 months ago and a guy pulled me over.  He was travelling around South America and was amazed to see another Charlton fan over there.
  • Options
    masicat said:
    Bloke pulled up next to me at the lights in Bickley last week and tooted for me to roll my window down. He had seen my Charlton plate and asked me if I was going today. He then told me his grandfather was a bloke called Whitaker who played in the 1947 cup final. He said he was a fan, but not going back until Douchbag has gone. Of course, he might well be on here.
    He must be related to me then, because my mum is related to Billy Whitaker (so I suppose I am as well).
    Silver car. Bloke about mid fifties. Full head of silver hair, handsome ( my wife said ).
  • Options
    masicat said:
    masicat said:
    Silver car. Bloke about mid fifties. Full head of silver hair, handsome ( my wife said ).
    Sounds like me, but wasn't :smile:
  • Options
    Did you miss the handsome bit in the description?
  • Options
    I've had a few Charlton fans stay at our guesthouse, some I've nown in advance, others I haven't.

I had one Norwegian fan Charlton fan staying, who started following us when Thomas Myhre joined and had been to several games at The Valley, but he most interesting one was a Ukranian, who saw the signed shirt on the wall and started speaking to me about Charlton, how he'd never been to The Valley but really wanted to go. I was very surprised that he knew so much about he club until he told me that one of his best friends was Sergei Baltacha!