Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Disappearance of Madeleine Mccann

Comments

• One thing that never seems to get mentioned about leaving children unattended is what if there was a fire? Or one of them decided to swallow a bit of lego or the the whole multitude of things children can do to harm themselves.
    If the McCanns were from a different social background they would have been slaughtered in the press and funding for the case would have dried up much quicker.

It's a tragic case that looks unlikely to be solved.
  • Not sure about Kate, but got a feeling Gerry has returned to work. I don't think they are profiteering from the fund or ever intended to

*edit* Also, Kate said that the reason she brought out a book was to boost the fund to find Maddie. Still some strange bits in it though, 're her and her husband's sex life and the bit already mentiine above
    I mean fair enough and I can see the logic in that (bringing out a book).  I just find the whole thing proper odd 
  • Huskaris said:
    I think the real crime has been dragging that out for 8 episodes. I'm on #7 and so far what I've seen that's worthwhile could have been condensed into opening credits.

On a serious note, the Portugeuse police are either incompetent or disgusting, depending on if they believed the McCanns were genuinely behind it or if they wanted to try and fit them up to reduce pressure on them and tourism etc.

As for the media, both here and in Portugal, I know that in the show the UK media spend a lot of time pointing the finger at the Portugeuse media, but absolute scum. At least Calvin McKenzie more or less says as much and owns it. 

With proper police and proper journalism, I don't think anywhere near as many people would think it was them. So many disgusting headlines. 
    I genuinely believe the Portuguese police didn't have the first idea who did it and decided that blaming the parents was the easiest option. And almost certainly there was pressure from the authorities to ensure the area couldn't be seen to be a haven for paedo's/child abductors/human trafficking gangs etc.
  • That is certainly true for us too. We take a view based on what we know, or what we think we know. But that is all it can be.
  • If her parents were involved in any way, and both knew about it, surely one of them would have cracked by now? It's got to be enormously difficult to carry on pretending for this long.
  • Losing a child in any circumstances is unthinkable.

There was always something odd however about the way the parents went jogging during the search - as a father of 3 myself I think I’d struggle to stand up let alone run in those circumstances.
    Having the stress of your kid ODing is probably a decent excuse for a jog.

There was always something odd however about the way the parents went jogging during the search - as a father of 3 myself I think I’d struggle to stand up let alone run in those circumstances.
    The night she went missing, they went to bed 
  • Sponsored links:

The night she went missing, they went to bed 
    I heard from various sources they didn't ring the police for an hour after she went missing and didn't go looking their selves till 6am. I would normally feel so sorry for any couple in this situation but they can't be a pair of numpties :Gerry is a heart surgeon and Kate a part time GP. Yet having seen the interviews they have done over many years I find it inconceivable that you wouldn't lock the door of the apartment knowing that Madeline had a history of waking up and getting out of bed. (That's if you were daft enough to leave 3 children under 4 in a room on their own)

They are very strange parents who have turned the disappearance of their daughter into a soap opera. 
    Maybe they knew they weren't gonna be waking up for a while.
  • my conclusion, based on a couple of documentaries & my knowledge of kids & life in general is that Madeleine woke up & not finding anyone around went outside to look for her parents,. I believe the door to the apartment that was left open led straight out onto the street & I reckon she wandered out onto the street & was either hit by a car or someone saw an opportunity & took her. If hit by a car the person probably panicked (drunk/uninured etc) and put her in the car & drove off. Next day hearing the news just dumped her somewhere miles away. 

But I doubt we will never really know the truth.

• my conclusion, based on a couple of documentaries & my knowledge of kids & life in general is that Madeleine woke up & not finding anyone around went outside to look for her parents,. I believe the door to the apartment that was left open led straight out onto the street & I reckon she wandered out onto the street & was either hit by a car or someone saw an opportunity & took her. If hit by a car the person probably panicked (drunk/uninured etc) and put her in the car & drove off. Next day hearing the news just dumped her somewhere miles away. 

But I doubt we will never really know the truth.

I seem to recall that was a theory behind Ben Needham's disappearance.
  • see the Met have been given extra funding to continue their investigation. £11.75m and counting …...
  • Good grief.  I have just found myself agreeing with something Golfie posted.  
  • see the Met have been given extra funding to continue their investigation. £11.75m and counting …...
    Unless some amazing new evidence has come to light then this is unbelievable. Obviously a tragic incident but i can't see how they can justify spending this sort of money on one missing girl, when thousands go missing every year. Perhaps spend the money on the NHS or helping the homeless instead, not a girl who went missing 12 years ago!

Agreed or fund more police on our streets to combat the out of control knife crime.

• Sponsored links:

• who on earth agrees more funding ?!?!
  • How many PCs would £11.75m put on London's streets?
  • Addickted said:
    How many PCs would £11.75m put on London's streets?
    Don't ask Diane Abbott.
    Spread over ten or so years that would probably be about fifteen?
  • edited June 2019
    Addickted said:
    How many PCs would £11.75m put on London's streets?
    exactly we can go on about shit cuts but also this ridiculous spending causes mass problems, they are a pair of highly qaulified doctors, in which the public must trust with there life had this been a single parent/parents in benidorm who nipped down the shops for fags or to grab some cans - the sun would be probably running a campaign to have her/them jailed. 

we will never know the truth and i do not know what another year on the case is going to achieve. 

regarding policeman - standard beat officers i would say around 50 per year. 

in addition to the government money they have also spent a lot of money raised through book sales etc.
  • Thousands of kids go missing every year. 
    Every child is  as important as the next.
    Why we have spent tens of millions on this one case  (as sad as it is ) and others never get a mention I do not know. 
    Had this been a working class couple from a council estate it would barely make the news but because they are educated doctors it is seen in a different way. 
    RIP the little girl as I as sure she died years ago.
    Imagine if the family were black or Muslims!
  • Thousands of kids go missing every year. 
    Every child is  as important as the next.
    Why we have spent tens of millions on this one case  (as sad as it is ) and others never get a mention I do not know. 
    Had this been a working class couple from a council estate it would barely make the news but because they are educated doctors it is seen in a different way. 
    RIP the little girl as I as sure she died years ago.
    Imagine if the family were black or Muslims!
    You can be working class and black/Muslim. I think they were covered in the bold sentence.