Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Disappearance of Madeleine Mccann

Comments

• This might not make me popular but if you go on holiday then are prepared to leave the kids behind when going out to eat then why have them in the first place?

Our kids (4 boys 7-13 years old) are shattered come 8pm (we're usually first up to breakfast at 7am and down by the pool/beach 9am) and that's even our eldest who is 13 cos we have been pissing about all day , given the choice of some room service and watch telly/ play on ipad in room with a babysitter or come to a restaurant with us they all chose not to come out with us ! (prolly says more bout my bad company)
    13 year old comes dinner about half the time  now but is shattered and zoned out come 10pm .

I'm lucky enough to work from home so eat with them every night , I'm glad for a bit of peace and quiet come the evenings on holiday cos they've run me ragged .

• I don't believe for a second they checked them every 20 minutes, or hour, whatever version of events they're sticking to this week. I haven't watched all of it yet but have never believed they're telling the whole truth. 
  • I don't buy the checking every 20mins either.
    They would have been up and down constantly. 
     I reckon the Portuguese plod got that bit right. They went back to the block whenever they needed the toilet and popped their heads in.
    Why would they even go back to use the toilet though? Why not use the restaurant one?
  • what bugs me is that there was a nighttime child care service - which did not suit them so they decided to leave the kids on there own, the other parents that were with them also all had kids, find it strange how 6 doctors could all have no common sense, why is a beach resort in portugal safer then anywhere else it wasn't a gated community. it was on the side of a public road
  • edited March 2019
    Thousands of kids go missing every year. 
    Every child is  as important as the next.
    Why we have spent tens of millions on this one case  (as sad as it is ) and others never get a mention I do not know. 
    Had this been a working class couple from a council estate it would barely make the news but because they are educated doctors it is seen in a different way. 
    RIP the little girl as I as sure she died years ago.
    The documentary series does touch on the fact about how only certain missing children cases resonate with the public. The guy at a missing and exploited children's bureau in Washington explains it as the more parents  can identify with a case, the more publicity it gets. He cites a case in the States that received huge publicity where a mother and her young son were in a toy shop, the boy went off to look in another aisle and was never seen again. 
  • This might not make me popular but if you go on holiday then are prepared to leave the kids behind when going out to eat then why have them in the first place?

Our kids (4 boys 7-13 years old) are shattered come 8pm (we're usually first up to breakfast at 7am and down by the pool/beach 9am) and that's even our eldest who is 13 cos we have been pissing about all day , given the choice of some room service and watch telly/ play on ipad in room with a babysitter or come to a restaurant with us they all chose not to come out with us ! (prolly says more bout my bad company)
    13 year old comes dinner about half the time  now but is shattered and zoned out come 10pm .

I'm lucky enough to work from home so eat with them every night , I'm glad for a bit of peace and quiet come the evenings on holiday cos they've run me ragged .

Difference is they are not babies/toddlers, and you mention a babysitter.
  • Mid thirties and running regional sales for the middle East, on landing a text went straight out to my mum confirming I landed, then she'd have to have proof of life from either me or my wife everyday I was there. I'm sure it never leaves you!!

I don't believe the parents had anything to do with the disappearance, but I wouldn't have gone out and left them sleeping. I'll nip to the dryer at the end of the garden or the car on the drive if my daughter is asleep, but I'd never think about going out.

Wouldn't wish losing a child on my worst enemy though. Couldn't even imagine the pain, so I'll avoid this series I think.
  • edited March 2019
    masicat said:
    Anyone who believes the parents had anything to do with it probably believe Elvis is alive and Kennedy was killed by Lee Harvey Oswald.
    The very poor Portuguese police was a major factor. Very sad.
    This.
    They are only guilty of leaving their kids unattended. And that guilt will eat away at them for the rest of their natural.
    The Portuguese police are also guilty of negligence, slow response, apathy to the parents plight, not setting up roadblocks etc.
    Its all so terribly sad.
    Also Kelvin MacKenzie describing Maddie as attractive made me shiver, a little girl is pretty, never attractive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Genuinely hate topics like this (in life). Have never been able to bring myself to read about it properly and zero chance I will watch this documentary.

Social media has been full for years of absolute pond life who think they are funny using that poor girl and this story as a basis of humour. I will never ever understand what goes through some people’s heads in that respect.

The very same people mate who will tell you the earth is flat and George W Bush blew up the Twin Towers!! 

They exist in a fantasy world of unsubstantiated clap trap, where, ultimately, they end up believing their own fairytales whilst building up a bizarre fan base of equally delusional sycophants. 
  • Greenie said:
    masicat said:
    Anyone who believes the parents had anything to do with it probably believe Elvis is alive and Kennedy was killed by Lee Harvey Oswald.
    The very poor Portuguese police was a major factor. Very sad.
    This.
    They are only guilty of leaving their kids unattended. And that guilt will eat away at them for the rest of their natural.
    The Portuguese police are also guilty of negligence, slow response, apathy to the parents plight, not setting up roadblocks etc.
    Its all so terribly sad.
    Also Kelvin MacKenzie describing Maddie as attractive made me shiver, a little girl is pretty, never attractive.

Kelvin MacKenzie makes me shiver, period.

But yes, a typical slimeball phrase from him.

• I was under the misapprehension that Kate McCann's first words when discovering Maddie was missing were "they've taken her" or words to that effect.

That supposed reaction has always bothered me.

However, I believe her first words were in fact "Madeleine's gone" which changed my perception in that whilst the parents were imo guilty of neglect, I don't think they had anything to do with her disappearance.

There are other nagging doubts; the frequency of the checks made on the children and by whom and why Kate left the twins in the bedroom on discovering Maddie was missing.

But what do I know? 

• hawksmoor said:
    Yeah, I had the same reaction when MacKenzie said that. A weird and creepy thing to say.
    One for Yewtree. 

Leaving your kids with a babysitter is totally different from leaving them alone though.

Leaving your kids with a babysitter is totally different from leaving them alone though.
    There was a night time creche there, but the McCann's decided not to use it.
  • hawksmoor said:
    This might not make me popular but if you go on holiday then are prepared to leave the kids behind when going out to eat then why have them in the first place?

hawksmoor said:
    This might not make me popular but if you go on holiday then are prepared to leave the kids behind when going out to eat then why have them in the first place?

Which is why I've always belived them to be wronguns.

Even if that was their only crime, it's bad enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• thanks for this @MrOneLung this shows that is was not the same as having dinner in your back garden - unlike gerry mcann said, its ridiculous 
  • Genuinely hate topics like this (in life). Have never been able to bring myself to read about it properly and zero chance I will watch this documentary.

Social media has been full for years of absolute pond life who think they are funny using that poor girl and this story as a basis of humour. I will never ever understand what goes through some people’s heads in that respect.

The very same people mate who will tell you the earth is flat and George W Bush blew up the Twin Towers!! 

They exist in a fantasy world of unsubstantiated clap trap, where, ultimately, they end up believing their own fairytales whilst building up a bizarre fan base of equally delusional sycophants. 

Totally agree and this one of the major faults with the internet. It gives these sad individuals a platform to spout their groundless unsubstantiated gibberish to all and sundry.
  • thanks for this @MrOneLung this shows that is was not the same as having dinner in your back garden - unlike gerry mcann said, its ridiculous 
    Depends how big Gerry McCanns back garden is 😉
  • did the mcanns kill there daughter - no i do not believe so 
    are the guilty of neglect - yes 
    does the neglect factor in to her disappearance - yes 
  • hawksmoor said:
    Yeah, I had the same reaction when MacKenzie said that. A weird and creepy thing to say.
    Have you read the way the McCanns describe Maddie? In Kate’s book there are some awful and weird quotes describing her and it makes you wonder
  • the employing of the best pa people they could get, books etc just feels wrong like they are making every penny they can. 
  • This isn't just poor parenting in terms of an abductor, its also the fact you wouldn't hear cries over a busy tapas bar if a child woke up and was confused, or fell out of bed and hurt themselves.

Load of selfish wrongens.
    There was a guy in the documentary staying at the same complex who helped with the initial search and he said he would go and get a takeaway at the tapas bar, while his wife looked after the kids, take it back and eat it with his wife on the patio. That's all you had to do. He also said that the McCann party block-booked a table at the tapas bar for the whole week at 8pm, the reason given was that they were leaving all their children to sleep alone in the apartments, which was written as such in the hotel booking ledger.
  • hawksmoor said:
    This isn't just poor parenting in terms of an abductor, its also the fact you wouldn't hear cries over a busy tapas bar if a child woke up and was confused, or fell out of bed and hurt themselves.

Load of selfish wrongens.
    There was a guy in the documentary staying at the same complex who helped with the initial search and he said he would go and get a takeaway at the tapas bar, while his wife looked after the kids, take it back and eat it with his wife on the patio. That's all you had to do. He also said that the McCann party block-booked a table at the tapas bar for the whole week at 8pm, the reason given was that they were leaving all their children to sleep alone in the apartments, which was written as such in the hotel booking ledger.
    Yep. Everyone knew what they were doing.