Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Have a PSA Blood Test for Prostate Cancer before the Scunthorpe Game on 22 April

Our home game against Scunthorpe United at The Valley on April 22nd is Men’s Health Awareness Day and as part of the day fans from both clubs can have a PSA Blood Test at the stadium.
https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c9109efbae9a/psa-testing-at-the-valley-for-scunthorpe-matchday-as-part-of-mens-health-awareness-activity

Prostate Cancer kills a man in this country every 45 minutes

I got tested last year and had a high count. Thankfully the biopsy I then had was clear but other lifers weren't so lucky.

If you're a man over 45 get yourself tested.  You will be asked for a minimum £5 donation but only takes a few minutes.  

And please pass this on to men you may know over 45 who haven't been tested via twitter, email, word of mouth etc.

Comments

• Our home game against Scunthorpe United at The Valley on April 22nd is Men’s Health Awareness Day and as part of the day fans from both clubs can have a PSA Blood Test at the stadium.

Last season Charlton became the first club to host PSA Testing on a matchday and more than 300 people, including Charlton manager Lee Bowyer, got tested ahead of his first game in charge against Plymouth Argyle.

The PSA Testing, undertaken by the Barry Kilby Prostate Cancer Appeal will be available from 11.45am-2.45pm in the Fans’ Bar.

The PSA test is a blood test that can help diagnose prostate problems, including prostate cancer – the most common cancer in men in the UK. You can find out more information here:- www.the-bkpca.com

Men over 50, men with a family history of prostate cancer and black men are more at risk of prostate cancer.

Those having a test, which is aimed at men over the age of 45, will be asked for a minimum £5 donation. The Barry Kilby Prostate Cancer Appeal will fund the remainder of the tests’ costs.

Charlton’s Player Liaison Officer Tracey Leaburn, who lost her father to Prostate Cancer, has been leading on this activity. She said: “Last year’s event was ground-breaking and I was so proud of the way the Charlton family came together to support it. Since then it has been really good to see other clubs getting involved by doing PSA testing on matchdays.

“Last year we had 300 men tested and 10 of those received red letters after the event. We’d like to urge people to get involved again this year. You are supposed to get tested once a year, so even those that got tested last year, I would urge you to come back again this year. It is so important to catch Prostate Cancer early, it could save your life. So please get April 22nd in your diary.”
  • I'm definitely doing this, I'm 51, my dad had prostate cancer and luckily caught it early so was alright. I've had the test before probably 2 years ago, I didn't realise they recommended having it every year.
    Gives me a reason to get there early (more beer) 

• Take advantage of this. I’ve lost two friends from this who never got tested until it was too late. 

I get this every year, and there are a couple of things you can do to avoid a false positive. No sex and no bike riding for 48 hours before the test. They both raise the PSA level 

My doctor also recommended cutting back on booze and coffee before the test, but I suspect he just wanted me to cut back on booze and coffee, as I’ve never seen that anywhere else. 
  • Tell your Grandad, Dad, Brother, Uncle and any man you know over 50 (45 if family history) to come down for a PSA blood test on Monday 22nd April. You could be saving their life! Please RT #cafc #prostatecancer https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c9109efbae9a/psa-testing-at-the-valley-for-scunthorpe-matchday-as-part-of-mens-health-awareness-activity …

• Is it inside the ground?
  • Is it worth doing as a 35-year old yet?

Dont ever want to get caught out by something like this but dont want to needlessly jump the gun
  • Sponsored links:

• Is it worth doing as a 35-year old yet?

Dont ever want to get caught out by something like this but dont want to needlessly jump the gun
    Not for this one but if you have concerns ask your doctor
  • Great initiative, I'll get a check this time. 
  • Having just turned 50 I will definitely do this . 
  • 49 this year so i will also definitely do this. A great initiative from the club.
  • edited April 2019
    That said, I am aware that at The Valley it's a simple blood test, there's nothing invasive associated with this so please don't let that put you off
  • I think this picture gives a clue

• As does this

"The PSA Testing, undertaken by the Barry Kilby Prostate Cancer Appeal will be available from 11.45am-2.45pm in the Fans’ Bar."
  • iainment said:
    Is it inside the ground?
    No......it’s inside your arse!
  • Sponsored links:

• _MrDick said:
    I’m fast approaching 60 and had a blood test last October. My PSA was 4.7 so my doctor got me into hospital on a two week cancer referral. They found a lump but thankfully it’s an enlarged prostate with no cancerous cells. The consultant is now sending me for a cystoscopy to determine what to do next. Thankfully, they don’t think it’s urgent as my next appointment is in September. But, can only re-emphasise what others have said .. get the test done, it could save your life. It’s better safe than sorry 
    Had my cystoscopy on Sunday and my prostate is 4 times larger than it should be. Will be having a routine operation in 4-6 weeks to shave the prostate. Not particularly happy because that’s right in the middle of the play offs 
  • I’m assuming the fans bar is what was Crossbars?
  • Yes, if you don't have a match ticket just tell them you're here for the testing.
  • 🔊 "Tell your husband, boyfriend, brother, uncle, or just a friend. Make sure they get tested, it's really, really important."

@ChrisPowell1969 speaking ahead of tomorrow's game against @SUFCOfficial where fans can get a PSA Blood Test.