Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dental Implants?

Due to bad side effects of some medication (Oxy Contin) I was taking a few years ago, I've been experiencing serious tooth decay to the point of having to have teeth extracted and now my lower jaw, is minus quite a few and some up top but not as bad!

I did look into the potential of a law suit but me against a multi million pound pharmaceutical company, I think my chances are slim to zero.

Implants in this country are ridiculously expensive and have had quotes abroad for a third of the price, Turkey and Budapest. A mate went to India and had some done but a bit of a trek if one needs regular aftercare.

Anyone had any experience of getting implants abroad?

Any lowdown/info would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Not abroad but the cheapest and best I’ve found in this country is The New Tooth surgery in Bearstead Maidstone. Was going to travel down to Cornwall until I found this place, am now in the middle of my treatment and so far so good! Very pleased with their professionalism!
  • Try Vital Europe, they’re Hungarian, but have a place in London just off Oxford Street, I’m having one done there at the moment, £2k for all the work, CT scans, extraction etc.

If it’s multiple teeth it’s work going to Budapest to have it done, but for one, London works about the same once you cost in hotels and flights
  • Not abroad but the cheapest and best I’ve found in this country is The New Tooth surgery in Bearstead Maidstone. Was going to travel down to Cornwall until I found this place, am now in the middle of my treatment and so far so good! Very pleased with their professionalism!

How many are you having done and how much if you don't mind me asking?

• I wouldn’t rule out a lawsuit. You’ll probably find someone who’ll take it on a no win no fee basis.

The company might just pay out rather than drag it through the courts

I have spoken to a company but there concern is how to prove it's the medication? I am speaking to my dentist and getting medical records, I've always gone regularly, to the dentist that is!

Interesting thread as I'm thinking of getting a couple done as well and interested to hear what people who have had implants think of the process.

As regards the New tooth surgery, just look at their website for prices

https://www.thenewtooth.co/pricing
  • Rothko said:

Try Vital Europe, they’re Hungarian, but have a place in London just off Oxford Street, I’m having one done there at the moment, £2k for all the work, CT scans, extraction etc.

If it’s multiple teeth it’s work going to Budapest to have it done, but for one, London works about the same once you cost in hotels and flights

It would be quite a few, that's why I thought about going abroad. Thanks for the info.

Interesting thread as I'm thinking of getting a couple done as well and interested to hear what people who have had implants think of the process.

As regards the New tooth surgery, just look at their website for prices

https://www.thenewtooth.co/pricing
    Thanks for that.

I guess if you're only having one, then expensive but affordable. I'm looking at about six to start with and there's more, so for me it's very expensive.

I've read a few reports about implants not taking because of the jaw not being strong enough, then potential of serious infection, so it needs careful consideration and good advice and not by someone who just wants the money and what Dentist doesn't!
  • I’ve a friend at work who went to Croatia and had his whole mouth done for 7K . Would have cost three times that over here . They did a good job too .
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ve a friend at work who went to Croatia and had his whole mouth done for 7K . Would have cost three times that over here . They did a good job too .

Any contact details?
  • edited February 2019

My Irish dentist, Phil Mcavity, is good. I think his rate is 230 a tooth

Did he have an assistant named, Ben Doon?
  • edited February 2019
    I spoke to my dentist about implants and suggested that they were a lot cheaper abroad, she made the point (albeit clearly biased) that it's all very well getting them cheaper abroad but if they go wrong or need adjusting, then you have to keep going back out there.
  • edited February 2019

I spoke to my dentist about implants and suggested that they were a lot cheaper abroad, she made the point (albeit clearly biased) that it's all very well getting them cheaper abroad but if they go wrong or need adjusting, then you have to keep going back out there.

Which is true but one hopes that they’re done properly but with flights relatively cheap, perhaps not such a problem.

Any contact details?
    I’ll ask him when I see him next at work .

Any contact details?
    I’ll ask him when I see him next at work .

Thanks.
  • So the advantage of the guys I’m using is, if you have them done in Budapest, the after care and checks will all be done in London

https://www.vitaleurope.co.uk
  • I had 2 done in my local dentist in London.

It was quite a slow process, it's not as if you pop in to the dentist and walk out later that day with new teeth. After the initial operation - drilling the metal into the jaw, it was 3 months before the next bit was done, and then another couple of weeks before the actual teeth were installed. I'd certainly want to choose someone who at least did the aftercare in London, as you need to check that the jaw has accepted the metal implant, and you may have to have stitches removed etc
  • My Irish dentist, Phil Mcavity, is good. I think his rate is 230 a tooth

Did he have an assistant named, Ben Doon?
    They used to be Scottish, that’s Brexit for you.
  • That Maidstone place is very reasonable price wise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks everyone I’m going to start with Vital Europe @Rothko, once this latest extraction has settled down.

Interesting that this article was in the Guardian today about the Medication, Oxy Contin, that I was taking and I believe responsible for my tooth decay and while it’s not identifying that specifically, it does refer to heroin which I believe is known to.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/feb/10/anti-opioid-protesters-target-new-yorks-guggenheim-over-sackler-family-link

• Hello Sillav 
    Try Dental Centre Antalya Turkey. I had 24 implants done last November. All in four sessions, consultation, preparation including temporary copy of original teeth, next session for fitting and last for check up. Excellent service, cost £4k. Xray in Marylebone £50 assessed by dentists in Turkey over the internet to enable a price. You can have a weeks holiday as well even though you have to survive on soup.

Made the mistake of eating a curry dyed the temporary teeth the colour of a hi-vis vest, blinding smile, new set no problems. 
    Quite a lot in total. 
    Two lower back one side, three lower back the other side, upper front - Nine upper on four implants,Also building up teeth that I have ground away over the years.  Total cost is £14700.  I shopped around and the next cheapest I found was early twenties.  Like I say so far so good!  Let us know what you decide to do but good luck anyway! 
  • Rothko said:
    So the advantage of the guys I’m using is, if you have them done in Budapest, the after care and checks will all be done in London https://www.vitaleurope.co.uk
    Just got back from a trip to Budapest and whilst there had a few drinks with a guy from Ireland who was halfway through treatment with these guys. Highly recommend them. 
  • Rothko said:
    So the advantage of the guys I’m using is, if you have them done in Budapest, the after care and checks will all be done in London https://www.vitaleurope.co.uk
    Just got back from a trip to Budapest and whilst there had a few drinks with a guy from Ireland who was halfway through treatment with these guys. Highly recommend them. 
    Thanks for this, @Rothko has also recommended.
    Quite a lot in total. 
    Two lower back one side, three lower back the other side, upper front - Nine upper on four implants,Also building up teeth that I have ground away over the years.  Total cost is £14700.  I shopped around and the next cheapest I found was early twenties.  Like I say so far so good!  Let us know what you decide to do but good luck anyway! 
    Wow, you've been in the wars!

Still a lot of dosh, hope it goes well for you.
  • mickc said:
    Hello Sillav 
    Try Dental Centre Antalya Turkey. I had 24 implants done last November. All in four sessions, consultation, preparation including temporary copy of original teeth, next session for fitting and last for check up. Excellent service, cost £4k. Xray in Marylebone £50 assessed by dentists in Turkey over the internet to enable a price. You can have a weeks holiday as well even though you have to survive on soup.

Made the mistake of eating a curry dyed the temporary teeth the colour of a hi-vis vest, blinding smile, new set no problems. 
    I did get a quote when I was out in Turkey a few years back, not Antalya but at a very reasonable price.

How many times did you go back and forth?
  • mickc said:
    Hello Sillav 

I did get a quote when I was out in Turkey a few years back, not Antalya but at a very reasonable price.

How many times did you go back and forth?
    Only the once because they do them while you wait.

Da Boom......tish!
  • Resurrecting this old thread as time to bite the bullet and go for a couple of implants.

Anyone above finished their treatment now? Or any other recommendations?
  • Silicon implants are dangerous, how big are you going?