Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Walsall - Post Match Views

12346»

Comments

• Karlan

@karlangrant
    21h21 hours ago
    More
    Great way to start off the year with a win🙌🏽 back on the scoresheet. New year same targets ⚽️🔥 well done team

• It isn't inconceivable that teams above us could have poor runs - what is harder to imagine is we could have the sort of run that will take advantage of that. Not that at our best we are not as strong as anybody, but we don't have the squad. You only have to look at the past few games to see that. What we need to focus on is losing one or two of the 5 teams looking like play off contenders. And trying to end the season as close to full strength as we can be. I'd back us if that is the case.
  • Nug said:

Looks like he's backing into the keeper before the corner, doesn't move out of the way and keeper makes the most of it. If that was the other way around we'd be pissed off if that was allowed. I like Taylor a lot but he plays on the edge, constantly being a pain in the arse to the opposition. He wins free kicks which he clearly shouldn't and then some go against him, he's a nuisance to the ref as well. This was a 50/50 decision in my opinion.

He has a fist full of the keepers shirt in his left hand.
  • Oggy Red said:

addick05 said:

Autos have long gone for us, we blew it over Christmas if not long before, we’ve lost too many games,we’d have to go on one heck of a unbeaten run till the end of the season to get in the top 2.

Have to agree with this. We are too inconsistent - although some of the football we have been playing has been excellent. Still feel we can make the play-offs but only if we keep the squad and maybe add another couple of players. As many have said, all depends on Uncle Roly and the 'imminent' takeover.
    8 wins from 11 games = 24 points from 33.

The target for promotion is generally to average 2 points from each game.
    Which sounds to me that from the past 11 games we are consistant.

No team is going to win every game. It doesn't happen.

Having played 26 games, we'd hope to have around 52 points - so hypothetically a bit behind target.
    We had a fairly poor start to the season with a scratch team (plus a bit of a wobble in October) .... but 20 games still to play, key players to return from injury and the prospect of some signings this window.

No reason why we can't finish the season stronger than we started it, plus taking points off promotion rivals.
    It's how we finished last season under Bowyer & Jacko.

A good thing is the lack of draws, only 4 in 26 matches. Better that we had a 2-1 defeat and 2-1 win in our last 2 matches than two 1-1 draws. Under Slade the draws killed any chance of promotion, that season we had 18 draws in 46 matches!
  • Disallowed goal 50/50. Seen more blatent fouls goal given and less blatent fouls goal not given. Another day that is given. But not this time.
  • What pisses me off most is when a disallowed goal like this costs us points.
    As we won the match I am not that bothered.
    Let's hope that when it really counts the ref gives us the decision.
  • wmcf123 said:

If you'd have told me after 1st game of the season we would potentially be 1 point behind Sunderland in January I'd have bitten your arm off.

I lightly disagree with this. If we’d been luckier with injuries , I think we would have been challenging for top 2
    You honestly thought we would be top 2 after the Sunderland away game with the squad we had out to chose from?
  • Sponsored links:

• Er we are challenging for top 2
  • Another poor poor side defeated, points banked from a sub standard performance, all counts as progress.
    Referee: ludicrous free kicks given to both defenses at the first sign of congestion in either area, fussy twat fortunately didn't compromise the outcome.
    Phillips: decent performance, made the saves he needed to, every bit as good as Steer.
    Dijksteel: ropey game yesterday, Walsall rightly singled him out, AM didn't provide much protection, hopefully a valuable lesson for AD
    Bauer: solid enough, played the back line noticeably higher than Pearce does.
    Sarr: supreme first half, including the match winning header-off-the-line which I'm saying concussed him cos the Naff Old Naby was back in full effect for the 2nd half, many heart attacks.
    Stevenson: looks ready to me, dependable first half and more attacking forays 2nd half, currently the best option at LB and yesterday he was every bit as good as LP has ever managed there.
    Bielik: noticeably faded 2nd half, which he'll need to avoid Saturday.
    Morgan: found a good few decent passes, Tarique please note, was he detailed with a man marking job on Liam Kinsella? Coulda helped out poor old AD more, specially 2nd half.
    Reeves: lightweight, ineffective, ball wasting, tackle bottler and lucky to last as long as he did, a few adequate corners do not a selection justify
    Fosu-Henry: one excellent pass at the start followed by 80 odd minutes of dross, running up blind alleys, running into crowds of blue when many colleagues stood in acres of green grass, one unforgivable denial of a so so simple goal making pass to Taylor. If LT spends the rest of the week kicking TFH squarely and relentlessly in the balls, it would be no more than the selfish halfwith deserves. What's a bigger and more impactful word for FRUSTRATING?
    Taylor: Did what he does, the way he does it, lucky to avoid a card. He has to be retained this month.
    Grant: Scored again, which is undoubtedly his primary function, made reasonable use of limited service, could take more of the Taylor way of doing (most) things.
  • That was a serious pass by Fosu yesterday; just seen it back . I know he’s hit and miss but it was exceptional
  • We didn't make enough chances from all the first half possession.

Can anyone offer any insight as to why the 'goal' was disallowed?

How could the ref not book their 3 for holding back Fosu(?)? Which would then be a red and that's game over.

Taylor leaned into the keeper
  • Totally agree with that. first half we were untouchable - really impressed with Toby Stevenson and Albie Morgan, still a lot to learn but look to be very promising players. Good to get the early goals but periods in the second half felt like we could have walked away with a point. should have finished 3-1 as taylors goal was disallowed - I don't agree with that - but happy woth the result! RED ARMY!
    Croydon said:

For 25 minutes of the first half we were unplayable. Thought both Morgan and Stephenson stepped up well and Dillon had a controlling game in the sticks, despite having very little to do.

Won't focus too much on the negatives as it's just good to be back to winning ways, but a better side then Walsall would have punished us in the second half.

Huge game next week for both clubs. Up the Addicks.

• edited January 2019

Another poor poor side defeated, points banked from a sub standard performance, all counts as progress.
    Referee: ludicrous free kicks given to both defenses at the first sign of congestion in either area, fussy twat fortunately didn't compromise the outcome.
    Phillips: decent performance, made the saves he needed to, every bit as good as Steer.
    Dijksteel: ropey game yesterday, Walsall rightly singled him out, AM didn't provide much protection, hopefully a valuable lesson for AD
    Bauer: solid enough, played the back line noticeably higher than Pearce does.
    Sarr: supreme first half, including the match winning header-off-the-line which I'm saying concussed him cos the Naff Old Naby was back in full effect for the 2nd half, many heart attacks.
    Stevenson: looks ready to me, dependable first half and more attacking forays 2nd half, currently the best option at LB and yesterday he was every bit as good as LP has ever managed there.
    Bielik: noticeably faded 2nd half, which he'll need to avoid Saturday.
    Morgan: found a good few decent passes, Tarique please note, was he detailed with a man marking job on Liam Kinsella? Coulda helped out poor old AD more, specially 2nd half.
    Reeves: lightweight, ineffective, ball wasting, tackle bottler and lucky to last as long as he did, a few adequate corners do not a selection justify
    Fosu-Henry: one excellent pass at the start followed by 80 odd minutes of dross, running up blind alleys, running into crowds of blue when many colleagues stood in acres of green grass, one unforgivable denial of a so so simple goal making pass to Taylor. If LT spends the rest of the week kicking TFH squarely and relentlessly in the balls, it would be no more than the selfish halfwith deserves. What's a bigger and more impactful word for FRUSTRATING?
    Taylor: Did what he does, the way he does it, lucky to avoid a card. He has to be retained this month.
    Grant: Scored again, which is undoubtedly his primary function, made reasonable use of limited service, could take more of the Taylor way of doing (most) things.

Leave off, he was brilliant first half. Second half not so much. We look far more balanced with him in the side
  • Like most posters, thought that for first 30 we were very good and kept the ball moving but without causing any real trouble to their defence - its all very well doing the training ground pass a million times around the half-way line, but not if you dont anywhere near their goal.
    last 15 of first Walsall steadied the ship and started to get some possession, but the 2nd half was all Walsall - we could hardly get into their half let alone their box. I dont recall their goalie having a shot to save aside from Grants goal and the pen.
    Bit of a steal, but before the game started, with the line-up, i thought if we could nick this and get 3 points.
    Cant see the same happening on saturday though if we cant control the midfield, which we have a real problem doing.
  • Kevin Nolan's match report.
    It started well, tailed off into neutrality and ended in well-rehearsed anxiety. But this was a vital victory for a side which has borne far more than its natural, attritional share of injuries.

The sight of Reeves limping painfully off before the end was all too familiar to Bowyer and a wearied Valley. With Sunderland due tomorrow, that old joke about bringing your boots along gained fresh legs.

In a final flourish, the massive Sarr was the perfect choice to effect the tunnel jump tradition. His massive frame carried it off impressively before he departed to the imaginary strains of “The Cuckoo Waltz” better known as Laurel and Hardy’s signature tune.

That’s the appropriate ditty for this resilient band of brothers, not to mention young mascots Stan and Ollie, chips off a much-loved block.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/bad-news-keeps-coming-for-charlton-athletic-but-lee-bowyer-shows-a-resourceful-touch/