Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Walsall - Post Match Views

Comments

• 1StevieG said:

After the second went in I caught myself daydreaming of a rout. Only lasted about the length of time it took for the Big Bang to happen but still, it was a nice thought. I do wonder sometimes about the thought process of home fans keeping hold of the ball and taking the piss trying to give it back in injury time when the ref will just add whatever time on at the end and it wasn’t as if the result was in the bag.

It takes no longer than retrieving the ball from row z in an unoccupied part of the ground. Perhaps the ref should be allowed to book fans for time wasting, the number of away goalkeepers who waste time during the first half of a game is unacceptable, but it is part of the modern game at this level.
  • Dansk_Red said:

1StevieG said:

After the second went in I caught myself daydreaming of a rout. Only lasted about the length of time it took for the Big Bang to happen but still, it was a nice thought. I do wonder sometimes about the thought process of home fans keeping hold of the ball and taking the piss trying to give it back in injury time when the ref will just add whatever time on at the end and it wasn’t as if the result was in the bag.

It takes no longer than retrieving the ball from row z in an unoccupied part of the ground. Perhaps the ref should be allowed to book fans for time wasting, the number of away goalkeepers who waste time during the first half of a game is unacceptable, but it is part of the modern game at this level.
    I would not like to be in the persons shoes who fucks about with the ball in the stand if it costs us a win.
  • We didn't make enough chances from all the first half possession.

Can anyone offer any insight as to why the 'goal' was disallowed?

How could the ref not book their 3 for holding back Fosu(?)? Which would then be a red and that's game over.
  • We didn't make enough chances from all the first half possession.

Can anyone offer any insight as to why the 'goal' was disallowed?

How could the ref not book their 3 for holding back Fosu(?)? Which would then be a red and that's game over.

Agreed no3 should have got a red
  • edited January 2019
    Only reason I can see our third goal disallowed was a perceived (not actual) foul on the keeper.

Ref was shit and a coward
  • Lino indicated a shirt pull for the disallowed goal.

Can't see it myself in the replays.
  • Actually, I thought the ref was good.

Gave us a pen and plenty of other fouls. The lino flagged for the disallowed goal. he booked four of their players.

The no 3 should have been sent off though.
  • Me neither, should have been a goal
  • Keeper was getting an excessive amount of protection all game.
  • wmcf123 said:

Redhenry said:

Typical Charlton today, fingernails bitten. We need to sign two full backs to get auto

We need someone to keep the ball better in midfield more than we need that. Dijksteel was poor today but he’s largely been ok
    The full backs have all been fine defensively, but none of them are able to offer the width we need in attack as effectively as Page does. We’ve adapted and cooed okay without it, but it’d be nice to have a bit more attacking threat from full back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Generally I’d agree @Sage but worth noting Solly had a very strong game last home game.
  • Sage said:

One thing I would like to add actually, we are so much better balanced with a left footer at left back.

Solly has done a great job covering all the time but Stevenson really allowed us that width at times today. Thought he done well. Same goes with Sarr, he was very good today and think he helped out young Toby well too.

For me it shows we desperately need a good left back, Page is great but is out injured a lot unfortunately. I think if we had little Jay Dasilva again this season, we would be pushing top two right now.

Stevenson had a few bad first touches and a couple of wayward passes, but that is understandable. He looks like he is going to be a good player though and did well today.

Can we get him on a contract that does not end this year?
  • Lino indicated a shirt pull for the disallowed goal.

Can't see it myself in the replays.

He did and I was staring at Taylor and his arms in the air antics with the goalie. I saw no shirt pull on the goalie.
  • edited January 2019

Generally I’d agree @Sage but worth noting Solly had a very strong game last home game.

Yes, his only strong game at LB. The rest of the time he's been adequate at best (bearing in mind he can't really use his left foot).
  • edited January 2019
    Sage said:

One thing I would like to add actually, we are so much better balanced with a left footer at left back.

Solly has done a great job covering all the time but Stevenson really allowed us that width at times today. Thought he done well. Same goes with Sarr, he was very good today and think he helped out young Toby well too.

For me it shows we desperately need a good left back, Page is great but is out injured a lot unfortunately. I think if we had little Jay Dasilva again this season, we would be pushing top two right now.

I know they were sitting back by that point, but it was the same at Barnsley. It's not just going forward, it was Solly's fault Pearce got dragged out wide for Barnsley's first and Dijksteel could have done better for the second. Our problems at full back have been exposed by other teams all season and we have shipped to many goals from out wide. Combined with the lack of attacking threat, it is probably the difference between us being in the automatics.

It was madness to go into this season with Page as the only recognised left back considering his injury record and Solly seems half the player covering. Imo this lack of foresight has cost us two good players and consigned us to the play-offs.
  • Really pleased my wife is a crank and gets cabin fever so she forced us all to get out the house and go Charlton .
    I have a bit of man flu and really couldn’t be bothered to go but it was worth it .
    A game of two halves we were brilliant first half in total control second half was pretty abysmal and you wonder what the half time chat was cos it didn’t work .
    Love Lyle Taylor .
    Roland has sucked the life out of the club and it’s noticeable with the atmosphere for a club winning in the top 6 , FairPlay to those making an effort to get it going though .

• Sponsored links:

• An important win, a bit like the Barnsley match in that the home team went into an early 2-0 lead, but conceded in the second half making what looked like being a comfortable win more tense than it should have been.

Sarr was excellent today, especially as Bauer struggled a bit at times. Dillon had a good comeback performance, while Toby had a decent game as well

Morgan looks a classy player, though struggled slightly with the defensive side today in the second half. Dijksteel had a poor game, but the lack of protection didn't help. Fosu was the usual mix of infuriating and brilliant!

• Good bit of team bonding going on here, watch out Sunderland
  • Which nutter has the panties on their head
  • Really pleased my wife is a crank and gets cabin fever so she forced us all to get out the house and go Charlton .
    I have a bit of man flu and really couldn’t be bothered to go but it was worth it .
    A game of two halves we were brilliant first half in total control second half was pretty abysmal and you wonder what the half time chat was cos it didn’t work .
    Love Lyle Taylor .
    Roland has sucked the life out of the club and it’s noticeable with the atmosphere for a club winning in the top 6 , FairPlay to those making an effort to get it going though .

I keep hearing this, but when I go to away games I hear far less noise from the home fans than the Covered End provide. Barnsley was like a library on Saturday
    From Barnsley fans on an away support thread on another forum talking about our trip up there on Saturday .

“Quietest fans all season so far. Was hilarious when they were singing “your support is fucking shit” and I could barely make it out over the noise of the old feller at the back of me unwrapping his starburst.”

“I actually thought your fans were decent after being 2-0 down for nearly an hour, I heard a small pocket of your fans at the top of the away end a lot throughout the game. Home atmosphere was crap as usual unfortunately but you could say that for the majority of places these days.”
  • Which nutter has the panties on their head

Billy Clarke
  • Interesting that Sunderland also have a number of injuries and suspensions.

Cattermole will now miss the game against us after getting his 10th booking yesterday. Sunderland also had a 17 and 18 year old on their bench yesterday.
  • 1StevieG said:

But referees never seem to add more than a minute for time-wasting.

Once five minutes of extra time have already been clocked up you can take as long as you like over anything.

The only exception is the "important game" rule when six minutes can be added.
  • edited January 2019
    >Good 3 points
    Just little disappointed that young toby was given his start that everyone's been calling for yet didn't step up to the mark a score a hatrick
  • Sage said:

I know they were sitting back by that point, but it was the same at Barnsley. It's not just going forward, it was Solly's fault Pearce got dragged out wide for Barnsley's first and Dijksteel could have done better for the second. Our problems at full back have been exposed by other teams all season and we have shipped to many goals from out wide. Combined with the lack of attacking threat, it is probably the difference between us being in the automatics.

It was madness to go into this season with Page as the only recognised left back considering his injury record and Solly seems half the player covering. Imo this lack of foresight has cost us two good players and consigned us to the play-offs.
    This. I have seen most games this season, home and away and FB is our weak point.
  • Interesting that Sunderland also have a number of injuries and suspensions.

Cattermole will now miss the game against us after getting his 10th booking yesterday. Sunderland also had a 17 and 18 year old on their bench yesterday.

Also good to see comments from Jack Ross this morning that says they're hoping to add to their Defence a player after the Charlton game on Saturday - Hopefully means they'll still be a little short come the Weekend whilst we'll be a little stronger. Sunderland have clearly got away with a few decisions these past few games as Bradford and Blackpool have each had perfectly good goals rulled out