Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Walsall - Post Match Views

Comments

• couole If shockers on the distribution out from Phillips but say 9/11 or whatever it was I thought was good. No 1 keeper for me.
  • Great performance when you consider the inexperience in the side. Thought everyone did well except Djiksteel who I thought was poor. Solly back for Saturday but biggest worry may be further knocks and weary legs.
  • redman said:

SDAddick said:

That was weird.

Brilliant first 30 minutes. When we're on the front foot Stevenson and Morgan looked very good technical players. Dijksteel looked tidy. Naby Sarr's ability to play our from the back would have been so helpful against Coventry and Barnsley. He is so good with the ball at his feet.

And then we seemed to take our foot off the gas and looked sloppy.

A soft goal from a punt, perhaps a little unlucky it goes through Bauer's legs but Phillips looked very slow to react. And we were largely hanging on from there.

Huge credit to Bauer, Bielik, and Sarr who kept getting in the way of things despite having fullbacks who were unreliable. For as frustrating as his decision making on the ball is at times, Fosu covers a lot of ground, wins it back, and his ball for the opener was brilliant. If we can just get him playing more one and two touch he'll show he's too good for this league.

Something to watch for: the goals Phillips conceded against Sunderland and Southend, both of which he was at fault for, involved him being slow to get down low to his left. It was the same today both for their goal as well as for the shot from distance that he awkwardly palmed with one hand in the first half. Caveat that both of today's came through legs and may involved him seeing it late. But I think it's something to look out for.

Blaming Phillips for the goal is a complete joke. Thought he had a good game and looked very confident, particularly considering he hasn't played for ages.
    I'm not blaming him, but I do think he was slow to get down to his left. Might not have been able to do anything with it anyway.
  • If we're serious about giving this a real go then the need for reinforcements is a must.

We are Duchatalet maynot be! :-(
  • If you skirt past the frustration of the pressure we put ourselves under and our difficulty in retaining possession towards the end, that was a massive win imo. If we had conceded again I’m fearful our season would have blown up there and then.

The most pleasing aspect about today were a couple of youngsters really stepped up when given an opportunity. When you are suffering injuries and suspensions that makes such a difference. Morgan was the pick of the bunch, assisted by solid performances from Philips and Stevenson, with Grant also a constant threat.

The two standouts were central though. Bielik is a real class act, I don’t think he has had a bad game yet and is becoming very consistent in his performance. He’s above this level and we are lucky to have him. Naby also really stepped up. Ignore the goal line clearance, he’s all round game was fantastic today. Once again, Taylor did his best to play the pantomime villain but was incredibly unlucky to have a goal chalked off for no reason.

It wasn’t perfect, at 2-0 we over-passed training ground style for some of the later of the 1st half, and for the second part of the 2nd half we looked a man less than Walsall.

But there are a number of players that genuinely look knackered (or fatigued as they say these days). Dijksteel looks ready for a break and Reeves struggled as the game went on.

But sitting back now that feels a really satisfying win.

What a shame Sunderland got knocked out the cup. We desperately could have done with those few extra days

Sums it up perfectly for me.
  • Well now our U23 side at the start of the season is near on our first team squad.

• Sponsored links:

• Well, we certainly know how to make an easy win bloody difficult. After the 2nd goal we just stopped playing.....I lost count of the number of times Fosu got to their penalty area & then stopped....only to then pass sideways or backwards and the momentum was lost. Luton or Pompey would have been 4-0 up at half time. The only shots on target in the first half were our 2 goals. Criminal waste of possession imo.

Saying that, with the team we put out I was more than happy with the 3 points. Morgan had a great 1st half but faded badly in the 2nd.....Clarke should have come on for him. Stephenson is a great deputy at LB & on Sat Solly should go into his rightful RB slot.....Dijikstel is now starting to falter which is only natural with the amount of games he's had to play this season....all out of position may I add. Fosu is so infuriating as he is so tricky & can run with the ball but this season rarely does anything with it (Yes, I know he set up Grant but he saw more of the ball than anyone 1st half & should have been a lot more dangerous)

Special mention goes to the lino on the East Stand 2nd half. What was he on ?? I'm sure he flagged for something for the disallowed goal but have no idea why......gave countless wrong throws & to cap it all gave a goal against Marshall in the last minute when nothing happened. Ref wasn't much better & should have given their no.3 a 2nd yellow for the foul on Fosu late in the 2nd half.

Just hoping we can get some bodies back asap. As for any signing (seen the tweets re 2 by sat).as I've said a couple of times lately, LB isn't the problem..... a creative / attacking midfielder is
  • RedChaser said:

SDAddick said:

redman said:

SDAddick said:

That was weird.

Brilliant first 30 minutes. When we're on the front foot Stevenson and Morgan looked very good technical players. Dijksteel looked tidy. Naby Sarr's ability to play our from the back would have been so helpful against Coventry and Barnsley. He is so good with the ball at his feet.

And then we seemed to take our foot off the gas and looked sloppy.

A soft goal from a punt, perhaps a little unlucky it goes through Bauer's legs but Phillips looked very slow to react. And we were largely hanging on from there.

Huge credit to Bauer, Bielik, and Sarr who kept getting in the way of things despite having fullbacks who were unreliable. For as frustrating as his decision making on the ball is at times, Fosu covers a lot of ground, wins it back, and his ball for the opener was brilliant. If we can just get him playing more one and two touch he'll show he's too good for this league.

Something to watch for: the goals Phillips conceded against Sunderland and Southend, both of which he was at fault for, involved him being slow to get down low to his left. It was the same today both for their goal as well as for the shot from distance that he awkwardly palmed with one hand in the first half. Caveat that both of today's came through legs and may involved him seeing it late. But I think it's something to look out for.

Blaming Phillips for the goal is a complete joke. Thought he had a good game and looked very confident, particularly considering he hasn't played for ages.
    I'm not blaming him, but I do think he was slow to get down to his left. Might not have been able to do anything with it anyway.
    It looked as if he didn't have a clear sight of the strike and even had he dived full length I don't think he'd have saved it. Personally I thought he acquitted himself very well after being out the league team for so long with his handling, command of his box and distribution.
    Thought he was very assured today - looked composed. Hope he does well.
  • That was harder work than it should have been but pleased we held on. I think Fosu could have come off for Marshall earlier as he'd tired, ditto Reeves. Both had a good first half. Bowyer was making earlier subs before, this seems to have stopped.
    Thought Philipps did well, as did Stevenson and Morgan, who had the best game I've seen him play.
    Special mention for Naby Sarr, thought he was immense today. Shame we didn't keep a clean sheet.
    Walsall came ready to play football and gave us a game of it 2nd half. Not surprised the ref bottled the 2nd yellow on their no 3, as the 1st had been soft. Strange refereeing - lots of odd decisions and loads of throw ins given the wrong way (usually to them but there was at least one to us). I think they got 4 yellows, which implies they were dirty but I didn't think they were.
  • Harder work than it needed to be. Inexperience showed a bit at times - the nouse of Marshall, Pratley, and, particularly, Taylor got us over the line.

Fosu is still struggling with his decision making. I’m never upset at attacking players trying things in the final third, but he just needs to take the simplest option a bit more often - we lost good opportunities because of him overplaying today. His pass for Grants goal was excellent though - similar to his assist for Reeves vs Gills - that needs to be the blueprint for him because he 100 % has it in him.

Midfield still looks lightweight and teams are figuring out that if you press us, especially with our best midfield missing, we can be got at. Coventry and Barnsley both did it successfully. Walsall tried today and it didn’t work out for them, but let’s not pretend this game couldn’t have easily gone another way today.

Personally think we need a tweak to the shape/system as teams are figuring us out. I’d like us to be using a 352 while we’re missing so many midfielders, I think we’d benefit from having the extra man in midfield and we do have the players to play that system.

Also, we played 442 vs Barnsley and got overrun in midfield.
    Yes because we had a poor 20 minutes, not necessarily because of numbers. I definitely do not want Dijksteel playing CB, looks dodgy to me
    It was more like an hour, and thing got better when we ditched the 442.
    Yeah maybe, to be honest I think Barnsley completely sat back and let us back into the game. We were pretty shite. Doesn't matter anyway, Bowyer is doing a decent job and I am not going to be worrying about the formation too much, getting 11 players out there will be a miracle.
  • Walsall stood off of us in the first 30 mins and we play some lovely football when teams do that. We struggle when teams close us down.
  • 3 more points than we started the day with. Not the best 90+ minutes but by no means the worst. Probably the best we can expect under the present circumstances.
  • After the second went in I caught myself daydreaming of a rout. Only lasted about the length of time it took for the Big Bang to happen but still, it was a nice thought. I do wonder sometimes about the thought process of home fans keeping hold of the ball and taking the piss trying to give it back in injury time when the ref will just add whatever time on at the end and it wasn’t as if the result was in the bag.
  • I hope the covered end livens it's self up a bit on Saturday. At times all you could hear was people chatting.
  • I hope the covered end livens it's self up a bit on Saturday. At times all you could hear was people chatting.

Don’t think we should be knocking the crowd mate, those there are consistently getting behind well. NYD is never one for big atmospheres.

Difficult spells like now with reduced squad, tired players, crowd plays a much bigger part imo.

What’s more disappointing imo is there were clearly at the least a couple of thousand who saw the win v Gillingham and didn’t fancy turning out again today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good to see Dillon give a good start to the rest of the season. Alibi needed to finish that game well and he did....he made some good through balls which is his job which made up for some lack of experience in his defending but both he and Toby Stephenson should be pleased with their performances . If Reeves put on a bit more muscle he would be outstanding as he played ok but gets clattered off the ball too easily. We missed Pearce as captain as Bauer did not shout enough as captain and when they took us by the scruff of the neck at the start of the second half we needed Pearce to be shouting. Sarr should get a medal for the header off the line. Yes disappointing to concede but given the injuries to our midfield I thought we did better than expected but will have to play better on Saturday
  • LenGlover said:

Were there many there?

The crowd felt bigger than the rest of the season against Gillingham.

10,396 official gate so about 8k bums on seats.
    There were more than 8k there
  • edited January 2019
    I thought there were at least 9,000 there.
    Either way it feels like proper Charlton again, even if the players, Bowyer & Jackson are lacking the support of a few thousand. It is what it is as our manager says.
    Hopefully, everyone will return soon.
  • Typical Charlton today, fingernails bitten. We need to sign two full backs to get auto
  • Redhenry said:

Typical Charlton today, fingernails bitten. We need to sign two full backs to get auto

We need someone to keep the ball better in midfield more than we need that. Dijksteel was poor today but he’s largely been ok
  • If we're serious about giving this a real go then the need for reinforcements is a must.

You'd best tell Roland then.
  • Very good win in the circumstances