Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth v Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options

Didn’t see that coming at all. We are and always will be a weird old team to support. The only guarantee we give is that we are shit in cups. Great win from Bowyer and the boys.

........and don't turn up v Millwall
    I think that team last night would :wink:
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Dont get all the Pompey fans bashing tbh, i spent 7 years living and working there, and had a great time - good people. The 'inbreds' bit just sounds a bit childish tbh.
    Plus in terms of their fans, they are one of the best in the country for following their team through thick and thin.

Actually agree with this.
    Always enjoyed games against them, of which there have been many, including trips to Fratton Park. Really enjoyed my first trip there in January 1976, when we won an FA Cup replay 3-0.
    There are far worse places to visit.
    Yeah, that one. I was there, being a student, and it seemed like I was the only Charlton fan there in a 32,000 crowd that thought it was going to be some kind of renaissance game -they were bottom of Div 2, we were halfway. I got separated from my neutral student buddies on the terrace, and watched the game on my own.Some Pompey bloke behind me had a go at me, so I turned round and tried to just face him down, and nothing happened. Two weeks later in the bar of the Centre Hotel there he was, with his girlfriend, looking at me, and I could see his brain trying to work out how this could possibly be, that I was still in Portsmouth. Meanwhile my brain was working out how large his biceps were, something I hadn't noticed two weeks earlier. Fortunately my great Pompey mate with me negotiated an honourable settlement.

I hated the place, as a city, but I loved my six months in Grimsby the year before. Grimsby...these are just the hands life deals you. Beating them, especially at their gaff, is a close third for me after winning at Selhurst and the Rustbucket. Cheers!
    I was also at Fratton Park for that Cup game in 1976.

But it was a decent sized Charlton contingent that went ..... about a dozen coaches, and loads had come down on the train. Plenty of us Charlton there, Prague.

Then we took a massive crowd to top tier Wolves in the next round - lost 3-0 but hell of a good day out.
    My first trip to Pompey would have been 1962 or 63.
    I was there when Jimmy Dickinson played his 600th game for Pompey.....which I believe was the 1962 game? He went on to play a total of 764 league games for them......plus FA Cup games.
    Our captain that day was Mike Bailey who presented him with a silver salver on the pitch before kick-off from players & staff at CAFC.
    Believe I am right in saying that Pompey are the club we have played against more than any other.

That was my first full season SoundAsa, it was 63/64. Dickinson never gave our Eddie a kick and we lost our long unbeaten run 4-1. Not to worry, we had bottom of the table Scunthorpe coming up. We lost 1-0 at home.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Dont get all the Pompey fans bashing tbh, i spent 7 years living and working there, and had a great time - good people. The 'inbreds' bit just sounds a bit childish tbh.
    Plus in terms of their fans, they are one of the best in the country for following their team through thick and thin.

Always enjoyed games against them, of which there have been many, including trips to Fratton Park. Really enjoyed my first trip there in January 1976, when we won an FA Cup replay 3-0.
    Yeah, that one. I was there, being a student, and it seemed like I was the only Charlton fan there in a 32,000 crowd that thought it was going to be some kind of renaissance game -they were bottom of Div 2, we were halfway. I got separated from my neutral student buddies on the terrace, and watched the game on my own.Some Pompey bloke behind me had a go at me, so I turned round and tried to just face him down, and nothing happened. Two weeks later in the bar of the Centre Hotel there he was, with his girlfriend, looking at me, and I could see his brain trying to work out how this could possibly be, that I was still in Portsmouth. Meanwhile my brain was working out how large his biceps were, something I hadn't noticed two weeks earlier. Fortunately my great Pompey mate with me negotiated an honourable settlement.

I hated the place, as a city, but I loved my six months in Grimsby the year before. Grimsby...these are just the hands life deals you. Beating them, especially at their gaff, is a close third for me after winning at Selhurst and the Rustbucket. Cheers!

But it was a decent sized Charlton contingent that went ..... about a dozen coaches, and loads had come down on the train. Plenty of us Charlton there, Prague.

Then we took a massive crowd to top tier Wolves in the next round - lost 3-0 but hell of a good day out.
    Hey, Prague and others of us veterans of the 1976 Cup win at Fratton.

Look what I found on a Pompey website:
    http://www.pompeyvoices.co.uk/story/f16b10ba1c

Pathetic, Pompey

Hey Oggy, for a moment I thought that was a reprint of the Portsmouth Evening News match report next day, because that was exactly the headline. Would never forget that, because I hung it on the wall of my room for the rest of my time there :-) The report was absolutely typical of them, containing the memorably bitter and twisted phrase "outplayed by a side that would be flattered by the word 'mediocre' ". This was the Charlton team that had Derek Hales at his best, lucky for them he was mysteriously subdued that night.

I just listened to them all last night, and thought, nothing's changed. The half time 'chat' consisted of "Ok I'll admit Charlton were the better team, but... "

Just been online with my best buddy from those days, the one who saved me from the beating two weeks later; he left for Sydney 30 plus years ago, so he wasn't in a position to watch it. I assured him that they should have had at least half the 20 penalties the Fratton End were frothing about.

Love 'em really, well sort of. They rescued their club. Whatever else, its a proper football city, and last night was a proper football night.

• Options
    I do think we are much better looking for the win than sitting on a lead.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Not falling for this.
    Got delirious 6am when the game finished, but!!!!!
    We haven't won this game until we beat Wimbledon on Saturday.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I think Bowyer was wrong about the sending off - from the camera angle on I-follow he led with his studs and caught Taylor. I called it a red instantly. With that footage, good luck to them appealing it :) Bowyer's view may have been different.

Talking of views - it is amazing how people on the other side of the pitch could see the ball go out for our second! The truth is, it looked like Lapslie was fouled, the Portsmouth players thought they had fouled him and stopped. Rather than complain, Lapslie saw the Red Sea had parted and just carried on.
  • Options
    Schoolboy error, always play to the whistle :smiley:
  • Options

I think Bowyer was wrong about the sending off - from the camera angle on I-follow he led with his studs and caught Taylor. I called it a red instantly. With that footage, good luck to them appealing it :) Bowyer's view may have been different.

Talking of views - it is amazing how people on the other side of the pitch could see the ball go out for our second! The truth is, it looked like Lapslie was fouled, the Portsmouth players thought they had fouled him and stopped. Rather than complain, Lapslie saw the Red Sea had parted and just carried on.

Jackett said: “I had a good view of the red card, I thought it was a harsh one, I thought it was two committed players going in.

“They both went in equally hard, low and for the ball. I was surprised when the red card came out.

“I had a very good view of it, it was right in front of me, and we will be appealing”’

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/portsmouth-boss-jackett-confirms-appeal-over-millwall-midfielders-red-card-against-charlton-athletic/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:

Jackett said: “I had a good view of the red card, I thought it was a harsh one, I thought it was two committed players going in.

“They both went in equally hard, low and for the ball. I was surprised when the red card came out.

“I had a very good view of it, it was right in front of me, and we will be appealing”’

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/portsmouth-boss-jackett-confirms-appeal-over-millwall-midfielders-red-card-against-charlton-athletic/
    Yes, I saw that and they won't win their appeal.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

Oggy Red said:

I was there when Jimmy Dickinson played his 600th game for Pompey.....which I believe was the 1962 game? He went on to play a total of 764 league games for them......plus FA Cup games.
    Our captain that day was Mike Bailey who presented him with a silver salver on the pitch before kick-off from players & staff at CAFC.
    Believe I am right in saying that Pompey are the club we have played against more than any other.

That was my first full season SoundAsa, it was 63/64. Dickinson never gave our Eddie a kick and we lost our long unbeaten run 4-1. Not to worry, we had bottom of the table Scunthorpe coming up. We lost 1-0 at home.
    Great info pettgra thanks a million.......therefore I was at the game in season 62/63 as well as season 63/64.

• Options

Here's the block from Lapslie, definitely his head.

So quick you can scarcely see what happened.
  • Options
    Amazed!

What a result!

Just hope the injuries of the walking wounded are not too serious.

We need 6 points from our two upcoming home games to keep the momentum going.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

great result, injury crisis continues as I listened in from A&E having broken my arm playing football, that's now Grant, Taylor and me in doubt for saturday....up the Addicks!

Awkward fall or forearm smash? GWS :wink:
  • Options
    Hopefully Taylor wearing that foot brace was a precaution.
  • Options
    Great result. Starting to feel genuinely positive for the first time since Riga circa April 2014 or Luzon a year later. Looking forward to Saturday.
  • Options

pettgra said:

Oggy Red said:

Great info pettgra thanks a million.......therefore I was at the game in season 62/63 as well as season 63/64.

No problem SoundAsa.That was my first full season and I have great memories of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018

Not falling for this.
    Got delirious 6am when the game finished, but!!!!!
    We haven't won this game until we beat Wimbledon on Saturday.

That's sounds like the Tennis analogy.
    The break of serve means nothing unless you hold your own serve.
    How apt as it's Wimbledon next
  • Options

Hopefully Taylor wearing that foot brace was a precaution.

So do I!!
    It will be a massive blow if both Karlan and Taylor are out. Correct me If I'm wrong but that just leaves Ajose and Fairchild for the two front positions? Don't fill me with much confidence come Saturday.

• Options

I know a lot of you had a great evening yesterday at Fratton Park, watching on iFollow, listening to Tel and Greg on Valley Pass, or just following the match thread on here but ...

According to the BBC it didn't happen, there is no mention of the game at all on the webshite:

The Division Three homepage

The CAFC homepage

Sorry to disappoint you all. Stand down, as you were, nothing to see here.

Now, back to the main story: wasn't Lord Bowyer daft to rest all those players in the Cup game and then lose to Blackpool ...

Report now on BBC website.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46435714
  • Options
    Fantastic gutsy performance last night. Proper away win where everyone put a shift in. Hoping this performance and win doesn't cost us in the long with all the injuries.

Pompey fans appealing for everything and anything was a bit much but very funny.
  • Options
    clive said:

I know a lot of you had a great evening yesterday at Fratton Park, watching on iFollow, listening to Tel and Greg on Valley Pass, or just following the match thread on here but ...

According to the BBC it didn't happen, there is no mention of the game at all on the webshite:

The Division Three homepage

The CAFC homepage

Sorry to disappoint you all. Stand down, as you were, nothing to see here.

Now, back to the main story: wasn't Lord Bowyer daft to rest all those players in the Cup game and then lose to Blackpool ...

Report now on BBC website.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46435714
    Yay! We won!
  • Options
    If you fancy a laugh head to the League One group on Facebook, more salt from the Portsmouth fans then a bag of walkers!
  • Options

What is interesting generally about Pompey fans claiming the ball went out is their demonstration of lack of knowledge of the laws of the game. I think their main contention is if you can see the whole of the line, the ball must be out. This would be true only if the ball was a cube. Being a sphere, it can be sitting over the line but still be in. So many fans don't understand this.

True but going by that photo it's fair to say the ball looks well out.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

We’ve got a pretty decent record down there in the last 30 years

Speaking to my old man, he took me down there for a win in the early 90s. We won 2-1 in 93. I remember going a 2-0 win just before Xmas in 97, season we won promotion

We beat them quite easily when we won the championship in 99/00 season

Beat them again in Oct 03 I think when we had Di Canio. Again the season after when Rommedahl scored, game was live on Sky

That win last season and now tonight

No wonder some of their fans may be a bit fed up with us :smiley:

And dont forget the 1-0 down there when Amdy Faye got the goal haha!
  • Options
    TN15 said:

I remember the game in 76 and didn't see hardly any Charlton fans there. Thought it strange at the time that no one travelled. Wolves was certainly different.

I was pi55ed at both games, Gales' HSB at Portsmouth, Banks' mild at Wolves, so my memories are quite vague. My little band had a good drink with the Wolves fans pre-match.