Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CL Trip to The Somme & Arras - July 2019

Footballers on The Somme & Arras

After the success of our 2017 trip to Ypres we are proposing a trip next year to The Somme & Arras. The trip will take place on the weekend of Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th July 2019. We will be based in Arras for the night of the 27th July where there is a good selection of hotels to suit all budgets and plenty of bars and restaurants to enjoy a good evening out.

Once again our trip will be guided expertly by our own Clive Harris and anyone who has had the pleasure to be on one of his trips before will be able to testify how knowledgeable his is on the subject of WW1 and how interesting and enjoyable he makes such a trip.

As with the Ypres trip we propose an early start on the Saturday morning. We currently envisage departing Charlton at 5.15am, Ebbsfleet International at 05.45am with the aim of arriving at the Eurotunnel Terminal around 6.45/7am for a 7.45am Eurotunnel departure. We would then hope for a mid morning arrival on The Somme.

On the Sunday we envisage departing The Somme around 2.30/3pm for a 5pm Eurotunnel departure, with arrival back at Ebbsfleet International around 17.30pm and Charlton around 6pm.

Please note though that these times are subject to change.

The cost for this trip will be £70 per person. In addition, in lieu of Clive providing his services for free, we are also requesting a donation from everyone which will be split equally between the Charlton Museum (run independently to the Club so Roland won’t benefit) and The Upbeats.

Initially a deposit of £30 per person will secure your place on the trip. Places will be allocated on a first come first served basis. In the unlikely situation that we don’t make our break even numbers then your deposit will be fully refunded. However, once we meet our break even number and commit ourselves to the coach and Eurotunnel costs then unfortunately we will not be able to offer a refund unless another CL member wants to take your place. Balance monies, including all charity donations, are required by 31st March 2019.

When you are ready to book your place and pay your deposit please send me a private message and I will give you the Bank details you will require.

With regard to booking accommodation in Arras we would advise making a booking whereby you do not have to pay until arrival and in most cases have until the day before arrival to cancel the booking without incurring a charge. At the end of the day though it is up to you. We would advise booking a hotel that is located centrally in Arras as this is where the coach will be dropping off and picking up and we won’t be able to make stops at individual hotels.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you have an up to date valid passport and any travel insurance that you feel you may require.

All that is left to say is that the current proposed itinerary is as below although this is not set in stone and is subject to change. If there is anywhere in particular that you would like to visit then please let us know and we will endeavour to include it in the itinerary if possible.

Any other questions please ask.

Many thanks

Neal and Clive

Proposed Itinerary :

Saturday - after a mid morning arrival on the Somme :

(i) La Boiselle - unsuccessful attack on July 1st including the eventual advance on Contalmaison to see where footballer Donald Bell was awarded the VC and also where the 16 Royal Scots (Heart of Midlothian Football Battalion) fought

(ii) Montauban - successful attack on July 1st including the 8 East Surrey's kicking footballs over the top to lead them on

(iii) High Wood - where the 20th (Blackheath & Woolwich) London's fought in September, containing many Charlton supporters/staff

(iv) Caterpillar Valley CWGC - where Charlton's Fred Chick is buried for a short memorial service

(v) End the day at the Thiepval Memorial to the missing where there are dozens of stories

(vii) 1800/1830 arrive in Arras, hotels, beer

Sunday :

(i) Visit to Cerisy to hear the story of Sandy Turnbull, football legend and very brave soldier

(ii) Visit to the Arras Memorial to hear about Walter Tull & other football connections on the memorial

(iii) Visit to Vimy Ridge trenches/memorial/tunnels before heading back for a late afternoon crossing.

Comments

• I am in Large. Just phoning around and will confirm numbers Monday or Tuesday....
  • I am in Large. Just phoning around and will confirm numbers Monday or Tuesday....

great, no worries.

• Admin, can this be made a sticky please?
  • Hi Large, I really fancy this but am not able to confirm right away.

I’ve already reserved a hotel for the night though and would recommend others do the same as a couple of hotels I’ve used in the past don’t have rooms available.
  • Hi.. Going by the itinerary I presume there are no plans to visit Gommecourt for the diversion attacks?
  • Nice one, put me down for two, possibly three. Cheers @LargeAddick
  • Hi Large, I really fancy this but am not able to confirm right away.

I’ve already reserved a hotel for the night though and would recommend others do the same as a couple of hotels I’ve used in the past don’t have rooms available.

Ok, PM me when you are able to confirm a booking. As said, it’s first come first served.

• Fumbluff said:

Nice one, put me down for two, possibly three. Cheers @LargeAddick

PM me when you are ready to pay your deposit.
  • Hi.. Going by the itinerary I presume there are no plans to visit Gommecourt for the diversion attacks?

That is something I will have to raise with Clive
  • Yes please!
    About to PM you.
  • Sponsored links:

• @SE7toSG3 - someone has mentioned if a visit to Guillemont would fit somewhere in the itinerary?
  • I can fit Guillemont (September 3rd) 16th Irish Division attack and Gommecourt (1st July) 56th London Division attack in if specially requested, my itinerary was a 'sample' to be honest, I would much rather foxus on personal visits for people and Charlton's history during the battle.
  • edited November 2018
    Hi Large, Clive, the Ypres trip was brilliant so my wife and I are definitely in. My great uncle Sgt Richard Monty Daniel is on the Thiepval memorial. He died on October 26 1916. I took his picture to school as a ten year old, which prompted a life long interest in WW1. He died in the Fabeck Graben trench which I think was part of the Schwaben Redoubt. Will you tour the battlefield near Thiepval as I would love to know where this trench was?It will be great to see the new visitor centre there.
  • @BartramBlitz - will PM you the bank details later
  • edited November 2018
    Clive it would be great to go to Gommecourt. I ran a small project for schools in Westminster on the Westminster Rifles and one of the stories we used, Pte Charles Waller was used in the Missing of the Somme exhibition that opened the visitor centre. If we could visit the jumping off point for the Westminster’s I have a couple of stories to share. When we are at Arras will we go to Oppy Wood? I know the Football battalion fought there. You gave a great interview for the Pom Pom Whiting film we made and he died there. I am running a session for a school in Brighton on PomPom with his grand daughter on the 19th Nov.
  • SE7toSG3 said:

I can fit Guillemont (September 3rd) 16th Irish Division attack and Gommecourt (1st July) 56th London Division attack in if specially requested, my itinerary was a 'sample' to be honest, I would much rather foxus on personal visits for people and Charlton's history during the battle.

I did say the proposed itinerary wasn’t set in stone and subject to change !!

It’s nice in some respects to cram a lot in but not to the detriment of not spending enough time at other sites.

• Love too but too far in advance for me to commit
  • Ypres was brilliant. Hope to confirm soon.
  • Ypres trip was really good so count me in.
  • I loved the Ypres trip and am a definite for this one.
    I have just messaged you for the bank details.
    Hopefully I'm in time.
    The Grizzly Grill in Arras.....happy memories of a golfing trip.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018
    Hi Neil.

Please book two places my my grandson and I. I will send you the deposit upon receipt of the bank details. Thanks to you and Clive for arranging this trip. Peter.
  • edited November 2018
    @LargeAddick , @SE7toSG3 @DaveMehmet .

Are there recommended hotels? Conscious that about 10 days into school holidays things may book up quite quick.
  • @LargeAddick , @SE7toSG3 @DaveMehmet .

Are there recommended hotels? Conscious that about 10 days into school holidays things may book up quite quick.

@SE7toSG3 told me he was going to book into the Holiday Inn Express so I have booked in there too. If it’s no good I’ll blame him !!

• @LargeAddick , @SE7toSG3 @DaveMehmet .

@SE7toSG3 told me he was going to book into the Holiday Inn Express so I have booked in there too. If it’s no good I’ll blame him !!

It’s fine, stayed there a couple of times. It’s not The Ritz but adequate and central.
  • Right, count me in please Large.
  • Is that on 3 Rue Du Docteur Brassart
    Arras,   62000
  • edited November 2018
    My other half and I are interested in this. What does the £70 and otherwise do we just need to book a hotel for 1 night in Arras on the 27th? We just talking the other evening about contacting Clive, so this is treat timing!
  • edited November 2018
    PM'd you Large

EDIT - just spotted that you'd already replied - sorry!
  • Right, count me in please Large.

Will PM you payment details
  • My other half and I are interested in this. What does the £70 and otherwise do we just need to book a hotel for 1 night in Arras on the 27th? We just talking the other evening about contacting Clive, so this is treat timing!

The £70 pp covers the cost of coach hire for two days, the drivers accommodation and expenses and the Eurotunnel fees. Yes you would need to book a hotel for the night of 27th. As said before you can normally book without having to pay up front with free cancellation up to day before arrival.