Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL Trip to The Somme & Arras - July 2019

Comments

• Options

Clive is available for weddings, bar mitzvahs or you can book on one of his regular tours here http://www.battle-honours.eu/

Or you could visit the museum and catch him there.

"Available for weddings"? - is Clive a part time priest :-)
  • Options

Clive is available for weddings, bar mitzvahs or you can book on one of his regular tours here http://www.battle-honours.eu/

Or you could visit the museum and catch him there.

have you seen his prices? Saying that I don't know how much he charges for weddings etc.

• Options
    I expect you both to play this one out at Rourke's Drift.

@charltonnick - Mr. Chard, sir, patrol's come back. The Zulus have gone. All of them. It's a miracle.

@SE7toSG3 - If it's a miracle, Colour Sergeant, it's a short-chambered, Boxer-Henry .45 calibre miracle.

@charltonnick - And a bayonet, sir. With some guts behind it.
  • Options
    Better we play that one out at Burton if we escape with a point mate!
  • Options

Just bumped this in case anyone coming on the trip did not see the recent 'inbox' message regarding departure times/points.

Also, gentle reminder that balance payments of £40 per person are due by 30th April latest.

Ta. 

• Options

Really looking forward to this.

I'm in Arras next weekend for a classic car show and will be stopping off here on the way down, as well as Vimy Ridge:

https://www.lacoupole-france.co.uk/

I'll also be making full use of the bars in the town, which if I'm honest, is the real reason we go every year.

• Options
    Clive,

I hope you are not going to gloss over Donald Bell’s obvious character flaw!

• Options
    @Mametz well I know he turned out for a north surrey amatuer side occasionally but the Victoria Cross may buy him some brownie points especially if Jordan slagging Roland is the current benchmark!!
  • Options
    Haha.

Yes, best treat it as a momentary lapse in an otherwise impressive C.V.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    @Mametz well I know he turned out for a north surrey amatuer side occasionally but the Victoria Cross may buy him some brownie points especially if Jordan slagging Roland is the current benchmark!!
    NO! There can be no coming back from that. 

Bloody 1st class try though.

Oh alright. Just this one though.
  • Options
    Great work @LargeAddick and @SE7toSG3
    Looking forward to it
  • Options
    For anybody that didn’t go on the last trip in 2017. You are in for a real treat. 
  • Options
    Top guys. 
  • Options
    Looks an excellent itinerary.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    First day of the Somme 103 years ago today

20k British and Dominion troops died

In total, 57k casualties (killed, wounded, missing)
  • Options
    Might be a bit out of your way or not on your itinerary but the museum at Peronne is well worth a visit. 
  • Options
    The casualty figures quoted above are distorted as they don’t mention the considerable French effort on the Somme which accounted for a fair proportion of the German casualty figures.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2019
    If anyone is at a loose end and can spare an hour to listen to me witter on about the St George's Day Zeebrugge Raid of 1918, you are more than welcome to North Kent Western Front Association next Thursday.

They meet at Petts Wood British Legion and the timings are
    Thursday 25 July, 19:00, from memory its a couple of quid donation on the door.

Its a real boys own story but one shrouded in mythology and has an Addick's link.     
  • Options
    Might drag the boy along for a pint.
  • Options
    Sounds fascinating Clive. I will see if I can do a work from home so I can get there for 7pm
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Can someone remind me the exact rvp and time in Charlton for next Saturday, ta
  • Options
    It’s a 5.15am set off from Charlton from the bus stop in Anchor and Hope Lane opposite the SelfStore storage facility. everything you need to know is in your inbox.
  • Options
    Thanks. We're both really looking forward to it - see you Saturday!
  • Options
    Weather 27° and rain Saturday in Arras, 27° and dry Sunday in Arras.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    It’s a 5.15am set off from Charlton from the bus stop in Anchor and Hope Lane opposite the SelfStore storage facility. everything you need to know is in your inbox.
    Is the pick up point the same bus-stop as that used for the Ypres visit (I am not that familiar with Anchor and Hope Lane). Thanks Neil 
  • Options
    Perhaps something to consider for clothing for Saturday.