Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sky Q Boxes

Hi all. Can all those people who have Sky Q explain to me their experiences good or bad? Can you still do manual recording on Sky on it, Such as set time to start and time ro finish etc? I am watching SKQ Q clips but none of them are showing in detail other than reviews which are not great? I have been offered free boxes with a £20 installation but can't commit at the moment as Mum is about to go into sheltered accomodation and as a result of that I will need to find a 1 bedroom flat with the council? Thanks

Comments

• My mum has a couple and they are easy to use and easy to record on.
  • Never had a problem. Very different on screen visually to the Sky+ boxes but much better I would say. With Sky+ I was quite often having to reboot after freezing. Hardly ever happened with SkyQ. I personally can’t see a downside and the latest technology is always best to have imo.
  • All good with mine. Been v impressed. It works for us as a family, we have 3 boxes round the house and no terrestrial aerial. Although never tried the start and stop timings you're asking about let me have a look this evening

Positives -
    Easy to use simple interface
    Useful to watch anywhere in any of the rooms pause and start etc. Watch from the beginning options there a lot.
    Voice search is good
    Ability to move the boxes round the house without needing a load of wires (watched a lot of the WC outside in the garden etc)

Negatives -
    Bit of the hardsell - purchase options of movies are often the first things shown to you on the home screen
    Stuff like BT sport is still only locked to one box so you can't even watch the recordings on other boxes
    Not enough 4k content. The occasional game apart.
  • I had trouble with one of my bedroom boxes, it was too far/ had too many walls between it and the hub. But other than that I begrudgingly like Q.
  • We have had it for a while but also have a few problems, firstly the signal is quite temperamental... i am not sure whether that is area dependant but will every so often say there is no signal when trying to watch stuff.
    The boxsets/ Cinema are really useful and updated regularly
    quite handy moving from one room to another and continue watching it
    It is just normal sky but with a few gadgets, if you are paying similar or not much more then go for it.

One of the rooms in the main house the picture isn't as good when watching sports, not sure if thats because of the TV (Although we have same TV in another room and works fine)

Biggest issue for me is the connection, but as i live in an area where i always seem to get connection problems anyway that might be a big factor.
  • Hmm, dont know about the manual recording tbh but we've had Q for 12 months now and in all honesty, I'd go back to our previous incarnation of Sky HD if I could.

If you've got one box, no issue.
    If you've got more than one box, you may or may not run into issues.

Consider the following diagram (ha, sounds like a GCSE physics text book!)

Right. Virgin fibre comes in. Through my mesh network and out into the Sky Access Point (AP) thing via an ethernet switch so the Q boxes are connected.

No issue with the main Q box in the same room, it communicates properly and has never gone down in the 12 months we've had it.

Mini Q box in reception room 2 (left hand side) wont communicate with AP in living room so Sky installed AP1 in the hallway. It still struggles and has a really low connection rating (on the engineers ipad thing he was using). Mini Q box in the kitchen/diner (top half) refuses to speak to AP or anything plugged in where AP2 or AP3, no matter what side of the wall. That TV just connects through AP1.

Service is intermittent at best. Picture can freeze for a few seconds every hour and is a proper PITA.

Sky blame the thickness of our walls and the only solution they can offer is by connecting the whole lot by ethernet. Sky gave us the option on keeping it or doing away with it altogether. There is no discount for a substandard service which is currently offers.

When it works it is good. When it doesn't, I get it in the ear from my wife and it proper pisses me off.

To be fair, my mesh network also struggles a little. I've got one node by the router and one by the tv in the kitchen/diner and they are just on the realms of good-to-fair connection.

The automatic series link thing is a PITA too btw. Don't know if you can turn it off. Just because I've watched one episode of Homes Under The Hammer doesn't mean I want to record every single episode of every single series in existance.

FFS, Sky Q is a proper swear word in our house right now!

• Had sky Q a while now with 3 extra boxes (but can only use two at the same time which I knew about) and must admit (touches wood) to not having had any issues so far. I have been really pleased.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Hmm, dont know about the manual recording tbh but we've had Q for 12 months now and in all honesty, I'd go back to our previous incarnation of Sky HD if I could.

If you've got one box, no issue.
    If you've got more than one box, you may or may not run into issues.

Consider the following diagram (ha, sounds like a GCSE physics text book!)

Right. Virgin fibre comes in. Through my mesh network and out into the Sky Access Point (AP) thing via an ethernet switch so the Q boxes are connected.

No issue with the main Q box in the same room, it communicates properly and has never gone down in the 12 months we've had it.

Mini Q box in reception room 2 (left hand side) wont communicate with AP in living room so Sky installed AP1 in the hallway. It still struggles and has a really low connection rating (on the engineers ipad thing he was using). Mini Q box in the kitchen/diner (top half) refuses to speak to AP or anything plugged in where AP2 or AP3, no matter what side of the wall. That TV just connects through AP1.

Service is intermittent at best. Picture can freeze for a few seconds every hour and is a proper PITA.

Sky blame the thickness of our walls and the only solution they can offer is by connecting the whole lot by ethernet. Sky gave us the option on keeping it or doing away with it altogether. There is no discount for a substandard service which is currently offers.

When it works it is good. When it doesn't, I get it in the ear from my wife and it proper pisses me off.

To be fair, my mesh network also struggles a little. I've got one node by the router and one by the tv in the kitchen/diner and they are just on the realms of good-to-fair connection.

The automatic series link thing is a PITA too btw. Don't know if you can turn it off. Just because I've watched one episode of Homes Under The Hammer doesn't mean I want to record every single episode of every single series in existance.

FFS, Sky Q is a proper swear word in our house right now!

@JohnBoyUK Press the record button twice when recording and record series will change to record once
  • We have the main box in the lounge, a mini box in a bedroom and another minibox in the kitchen. All work very well at the same time, though we live in a bungalow so perhaps that makes a difference.

I like the fact that I can view photos on the tv by connecting my phone. I love Sky Q and would recommend
  • @JohnBoyUK Press the record button twice when recording and record series will change to record once

Thats the thing, none of us in the house press record!
    It just records anything and everything!

• Sponsored links:

• Had sky Q fitted yesterday with 2 boxes, the second is to far away from our internet connection and booster would work but the sky engineer said more than likely our signal would drop in and out. He suggested we hard wire into the sky dish/main box so have no issues with the signal.

No problems so far and used both boxes for different things and all is working well for now just have a thin cable running outside our garden but will fix it to the wall.

We are pleased so far
  • edited October 2018
    I have my second box at the end of my garden in the "Mancave", a long way outside the house Wifi range.

I plugged in some Powerline adaptors and it works very well, (you need at least the 1000mbps devices)
  • JohnBoyUK said:

@JohnBoyUK Press the record button twice when recording and record series will change to record once

JohnBoyUK said:

we have that problem, always asking each other if we want to keep 17odd episodes of some random programme and it turns out neither of us wanted to record any
  • SkyQ? Really couldn't imagine not having it. One box in living room and one in loft, both perfect. The small portable second box is great as you can plug it in to any TV in your house with just a HDMI and power.
  • Yup - wouldn’t be without it now.

Initially had some issues with the mini box but all ok now. Integrated Netflix coming Nov 1st too.

I’m not ecstatic about the recent software upgrade moving your scheduled recordings into a new menu structure though.
  • Thank you for all your feedback. So a mixed bag really... All it will cost me is a £20 installlation as I have been with them for 19yrs. I like the idea of being able to record 6 channels at once and watch the 7th whilst you are reocrding. If there was definetly an option to manual type in your start times and end times then great. However, my concern is that the reocrding settingsthat it will "drop" out completly or when things start later or start early you are missing the beginning and end of programs. Ie. You get a play off final.. Sunderland v Charlton program starts at 1pm and finishes at 5pm. So you click on record (twice button) then hey ho it finishes 4-4 and then there is extra time and penalties. It will miss all that (and potentialy claish with other recordings after) .
  • Virgin does what you require.
  • and can you copy recordings you want to keep from Skq Q bxo to a DVD recorder?
  • T said:

All good with mine. Been v impressed. It works for us as a family, we have 3 boxes round the house and no terrestrial aerial. Although never tried the start and stop timings you're asking about let me have a look this evening

Positives -
    Easy to use simple interface
    Useful to watch anywhere in any of the rooms pause and start etc. Watch from the beginning options there a lot.
    Voice search is good
    Ability to move the boxes round the house without needing a load of wires (watched a lot of the WC outside in the garden etc)

Negatives -
    Bit of the hardsell - purchase options of movies are often the first things shown to you on the home screen
    Stuff like BT sport is still only locked to one box so you can't even watch the recordings on other boxes
    Not enough 4k content. The occasional game apart.

BT Sport is available on mini boxes but of course you have to pay BT a bit more for that.

I have the main box and two mini boxes. The mini boxes probably do have to be switched back on more often than I'd like but that aside it's a great piece of kit.

I also got a huge discount with Sky that I don't even bother to consider switching to another provider when I used to all the time.
  • I love it. The only downside is the series link for recording as if you record a program it automatically links it so unless you realise you record every program.
  • Sponsored links:

• Love Sky Q but also have issues with the connection between the mini boxes - would a WiFi signal booster work??
  • edited October 2018

JohnBoyUK said:

we have that problem, always asking each other if we want to keep 17odd episodes of some random programme and it turns out neither of us wanted to record any
    Sorry for your pain but I'm glad to know its happening to someone else too. I thought I was going mad!
  • With a 2TB memory and the facility to delete 100 episodes of a series in one go I don't really see the problem.
  • I was looking forward to the Netflix addition but it’s yet another £10/m add on.
    They can shove it, I am already paying nearly £100/m.
  • I was looking forward to the Netflix addition but it’s yet another £10/m add on.

Have you not got a Netflix ac already?
  • edited October 2018

I was looking forward to the Netflix addition but it’s yet another £10/m add on.

I do.
    It would just be nice to have it all in one place.

I do.
    You can use that same subscription with Sky and not pay extra.
  • edited October 2018
    JohnBoyUK said:

Go to Recordings, Manage then Scheduled. Will tell you everything you have due to record. Remove the series link / cancel recordings at your will.
  • cafcpolo said:

I was looking forward to the Netflix addition but it’s yet another £10/m add on.

I do.
    Yup......although I’m still not sure I’ll use the Sky Netflix app until they upgrade for all of the HDR types (ie Dolby Vision)
  • cafcpolo said:

I do.
    Yup......although I’m still not sure I’ll use the Sky Netflix app until they upgrade for all of the HDR types (ie Dolby Vision)
    Yeah, not sure on this one myself. I think it'll be close to a year from now until Sky get HDR rolled out and not convinced they'll introduce it with Dolby Vision. HDR10(+) and HLG maybe but not DV. Amazon have started to drop it from their shows and just not as mainstream due to the extra costs involved.