Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

La Liga 2018/19

Starts again on Friday for those of us with an interest in Spanish football (actually started last night with Barcelona's Super Cup win over Sevilla), so I thought I'd start this thread for predictions and comments about the Spanish league and also for anyone getting over here for a game this season as I know a few do every year.

The big question this year is how a post-Ronaldo Real Madrid will do and if this will allow Gareth Bale to take centre stage. Transfer window still open here until the end of the month so surely there will be a few big names still to come to the clubs to join Courtois at Madrid as the most high profile transfer so far.

I'll be rooting for Atletico Madrid as always, and hoping they can continue their role as the traditional disruptors of the big two's dominance, but will also be hoping for a good first season back in the top flight for Madrid's third club, the always unconventional Rayo Vallecano who were promoted alongside Real Valladolid and the tiny Huesca, who achieved it for the first time.

So, thoughts and predictions below and hoping it's an enjoyable season in the Spanish league.

Comments

• Atletico 9/1 to win the title - quite like the look of that, as Real and Barca both seem to be going through something of a transition at the moment. Atleti had a good season last year and should be stronger this year, particularly with the arrival of Rodri from Villarreal.

Looking forward to watching Valencia and Betis again, both really impressive and enjoyable to watch last season. Kevin Gameiro could be a great signing for Valencia, although I'm surprised he didn't have a bigger impact for Madrid.

Other than that, half an eye on Cadiz hopefully challenging for promotion in the Segunda Liga.
  • Love the Spanish league. Off to Barcelona again in November for a game. Just disappointed that sky have lost the rights to show it all. I watched so much of it and now know I won't see any cos of Eleven sports :(
  • My thoughts this season are Real Madrid and Barcelona have a real chance of winning the league, with athletico Madrid being the main rival to those two I’d say.

Let’s just say I’m a gambler.
  • cafc4life said:

Love the Spanish league. Off to Barcelona again in November for a game. Just disappointed that sky have lost the rights to show it all. I watched so much of it and now know I won't see any cos of Eleven sports :(

Very annoyed about the Sky thing, and seems like a short-sighted decision from La Liga - not sure what Sky's viewing figures were like, but I doubt there's gonna be much enthusiasm for a new pay TV channel that didn't have any UK presence before this season. I'm probably gonna reluctantly stump up the £50 for an annual pass on Eleven Sports, reckon I watched at least as much Spanish football as I did Premier League last year and the Sunday evening games are a cracking way to finish off the weekend.

Sky had the Spanish Super Cup on last night, seemed a bit weird from their point of view, seeing as it's presumably the only Spanish game they'll get to show all season.
  • An interesting (or not) fact about this year's La Liga is that fifteen of the twenty managers at the start of the season are Spanish with the other five Argentinean. Quite a contrast with the amount of foreign managers in England.

There haven't really been that many non-Spanish or at least not from South America managers in La Liga in recent years, exceptions being Zidane and Ancelotti of course as well as the disastrous reigns of Neville, Moyes and Adams)'
  • An interesting (or not) fact about this year's La Liga is that fifteen of the twenty managers at the start of the season are Spanish with the other five Argentinean. Quite a contrast with the amount of foreign managers in England.

There haven't really been that many non-Spanish or at least not from South America managers in La Liga in recent years, exceptions being Zidane and Ancelotti of course as well as the disastrous reigns of Neville, Moyes and Adams)'

• Wow
    15/20 spanish managers in Spain
    19/20 Italian Managers in Italy
    13/18 German managers in Germany
    14/20 French managers in France

4/20 English managers in England(2 of which are at the end of their career)
  • It does make us stand out among the main leagues as being the only country who find it difficult to always have a home grown manager as national coach. When both Del Bosque and Lopetegui left the national teams here there was absolutely no mention of there being a non-Spanish manager to replace them.

Young managers seem to be given quite a chance in Spain and many do their apprenticeship in the lower leagues before getting a chance at a top level club. Very little in the way of big name recently retired players being put in charge of teams without first getting a lot of experience.
  • MrLargo said:

cafc4life said:

Love the Spanish league. Off to Barcelona again in November for a game. Just disappointed that sky have lost the rights to show it all. I watched so much of it and now know I won't see any cos of Eleven sports :(

Very annoyed about the Sky thing, and seems like a short-sighted decision from La Liga - not sure what Sky's viewing figures were like, but I doubt there's gonna be much enthusiasm for a new pay TV channel that didn't have any UK presence before this season. I'm probably gonna reluctantly stump up the £50 for an annual pass on Eleven Sports, reckon I watched at least as much Spanish football as I did Premier League last year and the Sunday evening games are a cracking way to finish off the weekend.

Sky had the Spanish Super Cup on last night, seemed a bit weird from their point of view, seeing as it's presumably the only Spanish game they'll get to show all season.
    Agreed mate . I love watching it and would usually pick that over most premier league game if given the choice. Also enjoyed their Sunday morning/night games which were on when no other football was on.
  • Wow
    15/20 spanish managers in Spain
    19/20 Italian Managers in Italy
    13/18 German managers in Germany
    14/20 French managers in France

4/20 English managers in England(2 of which are at the end of their career)

Also interesting that despite a large majority of their clubs being managed by their countrymen, the 2 best clubs in Germany aren't managed by a German and the 2 best clubs in France aren't managed by a Frenchman.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hoping to take in a Valencia game or two this season. They're an hour away but still the closest.
  • Not a la liga game but obviously 2 Spanish sides. The European Super cup final is tonight, Real v Atletico.

What was quite surprising to see is that the final is in Estonia at a stadium with a capacity of just 15k!!
  • Not a la liga game but obviously 2 Spanish sides. The European Super cup final is tonight, Real v Atletico.

What was quite surprising to see is that the final is in Estonia at a stadium with a capacity of just 15k!!

It is a surprising location eh. They have been playing the Super Cup at some quite random locations the last few years - Norway, Macedonia, Estonia. Always used to be in Monaco.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/74354/european-super-cup-final#latest

Great for local fans but UEFA surely aren't making as much money as they used to on this - I wonder why they decided to do it.

On a similar note, Sunday's Super Cup final between Barcelona and Sevilla was played in Tangier, not even in Spain.
  • Hoping to take in a Valencia game or two this season. They're an hour away but still the closest.

See if Levante are at home as well when you're there, the other team of Valencia city. Depending which way you're coming from Villarreal might not be too far either.

It is a surprising location eh. They have been playing the Super Cup at some quite random locations the last few years - Norway, Macedonia, Estonia. Always used to be in Monaco.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/74354/european-super-cup-final#latest

Great for local fans but UEFA surely aren't making as much money as they used to on this - I wonder why they decided to do it.

On a similar note, Sunday's Super Cup final between Barcelona and Sevilla was played in Tangier, not even in Spain.
    Wonder how long it'll be before the Community shield goes abroad.

France play their super cup in China.
    Italy will play their one this season in Saudi arabia having been to China and Qatar in recent years.
  • Atletico one up through Diego Costa. Would love it if they could hold on to win against their arrogant neighbours and have city bragging rights again after finishing above them last season.
  • Atletico one up through Diego Costa. Would love it if they could hold on to win against their arrogant neighbours and have city bragging rights again after finishing above them last season.

Selling Costa and replacing him with Morata was a dreadful error by Conte/Chelsea

Selling Costa and replacing him with Morata was a dreadful error by Conte/Chelsea
  • Real level, superb play from Bale to set up Benzema.

Expecting a big season from Bale, Isco and Asensio.
  • Sponsored links:

• Extra time coming up
    Play really slowed down last 10 minutes.
  • Saul and Koke, 4-2 Atleti
  • Good game and happy with the result. Hopefully the start of a great season in Spanish football.
  • Hows ur no betting going....
    Good.

Saw this on twitter not even got a skybet account.
    Good.

Saw this on twitter not even got a skybet account.
    Surprised you follow them... you do talk about betting alot for someone who doesnt bet anymore. Concerned as one of my best mates has problems which he appears over for now but only takes one relapse.
  • Just hit the news here that there are plans to play regular season games in the US. Outraged reaction among fans here, especially with the idea that El Clasico might be played abroad. A couple of links about it - the original story if anyone fancies reading a bit of Spanish and a story in English I found in the New York Times:

https://elpais.com/deportes/2018/08/16/actualidad/1534409039_402867.html?id_externo_rsoc=FB_CM

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/sports/soccer/la-liga-united-states.html
  • edited August 2018
    Surely that cannot happen, there will be uproar.

You'd imagine that season ticket holders would want to see the Clasico, in fact some probably buy a ST just so they can see the clasico, so i can't see them being happy if that got moved

Imagine the chaos if they announced that United v Liverpool was going to be played in LA with a 4am kick off UK time.
  • Of course it can happen, the americans do it for all there sport. Fans will just get a reduction on there season ticket price. It's not really a big deal.
  • Of course it can happen, the americans do it for all there sport. Fans will just get a reduction on there season ticket price. It's not really a big deal.

I think you underestimate the level of outrage here from supporters - it would be a very big deal if it were to happen. Not being able to watch your team play against their biggest rivals is not going to be smoothed over with a season ticket discount, especially as season tickets were bought before any news of this came out.