Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shankly documentary

Shown on BBC2 last night and available on iPlayer. A fascinating film about his life and how he turned Liverpool from a second division side to one of the best clubs in England.

The most impressive thing was his determination and modesty and his belief that football should be rooted in the local community. Good contributions from Denis Law, Ian St John, Kevin Keegan, Phil Thompson and many others.

Would definitely recommend this if you grew up watching football in the 60s or 70s. Watching it made me feel quite sad about how the game has turned in recent times.

Comments

• Managed a team to score 6 goals away and still lose.

The only manager to do so - against a team that only had 10 men but most of the match too.

I was there too I wasn't born in time to witness the game unfortunately.
  • Can you imagine Shank's reaction to theatrical divas like Neymar? To say nothing about the owners of certain football clubs - one comes to mind but I just can't recall his name, I'm sure someone will remind me!

The only manager to do so - against a team that only had 10 men but most of the match too.

I was there too I wasn't born in time to witness the game unfortunately.
    Yes, but that was against the mighty Charlton.
    I think Bill Shankly was one of the all time great managers
  • haven't seen the prog yet .. the 60s was a great time for Liverpool, Beatlemania, umpteen other bands in the charts, everything was 'gear' ..
    Shankley was the right man in the right place at the clichéd right time .. a euphoric time for a city which apart from Everton, which at the time was called the 'millionaire club' because of the Moores/Littlewoods fortune, was down in the depths of yet another 1960s depression ..
    and after Shankley, Bob Paisley, a Geordie who understood the scouser mentality, had the cash to buy great players and led them to even greater 'glory' .. Liverpool F C is a club that I have a (grudging) admiration for
  • What is it with the BBC? They had a Dalglish feature film only a month back.

They should redress the balance with films about Dowie and Freye.

Nobody would believe the Karel Fraeye story...
  • In the case of most great managers, their clubs go into decline when they leave, but Shankly built a dynasty, which ensured that Liverpool continued to improve after he left. The real Special One.
  • edited July 2018

What is it with the BBC? They had a Dalglish feature film only a month back.

Tell it on Jackanory.
  • Sponsored links:

• In the case of most great managers, their clubs go into decline when they leave, but Shankly built a dynasty, which ensured that Liverpool continued to improve after he left. The real Special One.

The succession from Shankly to Paisley to Fagan to Dalglish kept the philosophy intact. Just like the Charlton of recent years....
    Indeed, the golden days Riga, Peeters, Luzon, Fraeye and Riga, all from the famous Charlton booted room

The succession from Shankly to Paisley to Fagan to Dalglish kept the philosophy intact. Just like the Charlton of recent years....
    The philosophy of the 4-2-3-1 formation!
  • Allways remember the story that after the 7 6 game he said never mind lads they were bloody lucky..
  • Enjoyed that doc. Reminded me of David Peace's Red or Dead, a difficult but fascinating book on Shankly.
  • Thoroughly enjoyed the programme. As Keegan said, Shanks would be turning in his grave at the modern game/players
  • What is it with the BBC? They had a Dalglish feature film only a month back.

Still trying to get my head around it now.

Just spread out ffs.
  • Welly said:

Allways remember the story that after the 7 6 game he said never mind lads they were bloody lucky..

There's an urban rumour that we said he never wanted to see a team in red ever again!
  • Shankly didn't turn Liverpool into one of the best in England.
    They were not only THE best in England, but Europe as well.

I thoroughly enjoyed the documentary apart from Roger Hunt, Hugh Mcilvanney and especially Chris Lawlor's bad/yellow teeth. Yuk.
  • Seem to remember we lost 4-2 to Tranmere at there place, think it was FA cup game. Shankly was at the game and was quoted as saying "that's one of the best games of football I have ever seen ".

I thoroughly enjoyed the documentary apart from Roger Hunt, Hugh Mcilvanney and especially Chris Lawlor's bad/yellow teeth. Yuk.

They weren’t the best in Europe under shankly.
    Paisley made them that
  • Sponsored links:

• My all time favourite football manager.
  • Thoroughly enjoyed the programme. As Keegan said, Shanks would be turning in his grave at the modern game/players

As would Clough and Ramsey.

Paisley made them that
    Mmmmm a very very controversial comment.
  • “No Scot ever made a bigger impact on a club than Bill Shankly. Others may claim an equal share of trophies and Matt Busby comes to mind with his wonderful record crowned by the European Cup, but not even Matt would claim the kinship with the fans that Bill enjoyed. He was what football was all about. I can’t praise him higher than that.” – Jock Stein

“Mr Williams said, ‘How would you like to manage the best club in the country?’
    ‘Why, is Matt Busby packing it up?’ I asked.” – Bill Shankly

‘John, you’re immortal now’ – Bill Shankly to Jock Stein, 1967

All before Ferguson's United career of course.

The four of them, all Scots with Bill, Jock and Matt all born within a few miles of each other are the four greatest British managers beyond doubt.

Paisley won the trophies but I doubt you will find many people claim he was a better manager than Shanks.

Paisley made them that
    Mmmmm a very very controversial comment.
    Shankly laid the groundwork, Paisley continued it.
  • edited July 2018
    The thing about Shankly is that he created a dynasty that could continue successfully for 10 plus years after he finished.

Not sure too many other managers have managed that. Ferguson didn't. Curbishley and Chris Powell weren't allowed to....
  • LenGlover said:

The thing about Shankly is that he created a dynasty that could continue successfully for 10 plus years after he finished.

Not sure too many other managers have managed that. Ferguson didn't. Curbishley and Chris Powell weren't allowed to....

Bob Paisley deserves huge credit as well imo.
  • LenGlover said:

Yes he does - a real football man and a true gentleman who achieved great success.

He had a half-decent mentor though!
  • LenGlover said:

Way before my time so no idea if it's true, but i've seen it said that whilst Shankly was the driving force behind Liverpool, it was Paisley who was the tactician and took all the training. So he certainly deserves some credit.