Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shankly documentary

Comments

• Options

LenGlover said:

The thing about Shankly is that he created a dynasty that could continue successfully for 10 plus years after he finished.

Not sure too many other managers have managed that. Ferguson didn't. Curbishley and Chris Powell weren't allowed to....

Bob Paisley deserves huge credit as well imo.
    He does but Shankly built the club from nowhere and Paisley continued his work. Shankly was a proper football man who wasn't obsessed by money and fame.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Shankly was a great manager. He laid the foundations for Liverpool to go from a club with a big support, to one of the games big clubs.

But in terms of Europe in the Shankly era, Ajax won three European Cups in a row to Liverpool’s zero. Indeed Bill’s brother Bob matched his European cup semi final by reaching the same stage with Dundee.

Where Liverpool even the best team in England under Shankly? Or were Leeds?
  • Options

Shankly was a great manager. He laid the foundations for Liverpool to go from a club with a big support, to one of the games big clubs.

But in terms of Europe in the Shankly era, Ajax won three European Cups in a row to Liverpool’s zero. Indeed Bill’s brother Bob matched his European cup semi final by reaching the same stage with Dundee.

Liverpool were ahead of Leeds who I think suffered from the cynical football they played - great players but very dirty.

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup
    Semis of European Cup 1965 - knocked out in dubious circumstances by Inter Milan.

I think Paisley would acknowledge Shankly deserves some credit for Liverpool's European Cup triumphs.

Leeds lost their way after Revie.

• Options
    Frankly Mr Shankly, since you ask...
  • Options

LenGlover said:

The thing about Shankly is that he created a dynasty that could continue successfully for 10 plus years after he finished.

Not sure too many other managers have managed that. Ferguson didn't. Curbishley and Chris Powell weren't allowed to....

Absolutely. Only British manager to win three European Cups.
  • Options
    Emlyn Hughes once said that after-dinner speaking was easy. All you had to do was stand up, tell a few Shankly stories and sit down again.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Exactly.
    I don't care how good any team is.
    If you take them over and win the equivalent of 3 champions league 's.
    The credit belongs to you not your predecessor.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

LenGlover said:

Exactly.
    I'm not suggesting Bob Paisley (or Joe Fagan) should not receive recognition or credit in their own right.

They though would be the first to credit Shankly with creating a regime with smooth continuity as they both came through the boot room, Shankly's system.

As I said above name another club apart from Liverpool post Shankly where a major personality served for a decade or more which seamlessly continued to be successful?

I can't think of one and that is why Shankly was (is) unique in my opinion.

• Options

LenGlover said:

Exactly.
    To be fair Paisley was more than happy to give Shankly credit for building the foundations of the club and its philosophy. Theý both had a role to play and I don't think either was driven by ego in a way a lot of modern managers are. Paisley didn't achieve in isolation and he was intelligent and modest enough to refer to this.

They were both amazing managers.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Exactly.
    To be fair Paisley was more than happy to give Shankly credit for building the foundations of the club and its philosophy. Theý both had a role to play and I don't think either was driven by ego in a way a lot of modern managers are. Paisley didn't achieve in isolation and he was intelligent and modest enough to refer to this.

They were both amazing managers.
    Yes they were.
    When curbs left us we done the complete opposite and our next few manager's were totally wank.
    And then along came along Roland.
    How lucky are we
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Liverpool were ahead of Leeds who I think suffered from the cynical football they played - great players but very dirty.

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup
    Semis of European Cup 1965 - knocked out in dubious circumstances by Inter Milan.

I think Paisley would acknowledge Shankly deserves some credit for Liverpool's European Cup triumphs.

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup

Christ almighty you seem to be going all out to denigrate Shankly.....bollox to that he WAS the greatest full stop!
    Don’t care what you say, he built that club from nowhere.
    We’re Liverpool better that Leeds.....of course they were!
    Not sure how old you are by the way, for you to even suggest otherwise?
  • Options

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup

Christ almighty you seem to be going all out to denigrate Shankly.....bollox to that he WAS the greatest full stop!
    Can you even read? Or are you a snowflake?
    Shankly was described as a great manager, one who laid the foundations.
    Leeds finished first or second five years out six, finishing third in the other. The question (note not a statement) was not unreasonable, unlike your strange response
  • Options

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup

I'm not suggesting otherwise and I'm old enough to remember both Revie and Shankly in their prime as managers.

Part of the stuff you're quoting isn't mine as far as I can see.

Revie achieved a hell of a lot as well to be fair but Shankly outshone him. They both had impressive records.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    LenGlover said:

No. Ferguson did, difference was that he did it for himself. 26 odd years or so. No one compares to Fergie or ever will he built a dynasty that lasted for generations and produced 4 or 5 different league winning teams. No one got anywhere that or ever will.
    Liverpool haven't won the league for 28 years.

Curbishley wasn't allowed to? He quit!
    Powell wasn't allowed to? He got sacked!
  • Options
    Just watched that documentary, really interesting stuff

It's interesting that Shankly was probably too slow to dismantle his 60s team, and as a result there was a fallow people of a few years when his new team settled in. Looking at the records, after winning the title in 1966 they won nothing for 6 years. These days hardly any manager lasts 6 years...

Paisley learned from this, the Liverpool teams for the next 15 years never got old at once.
  • Options

Just watched that documentary, really interesting stuff

It's interesting that Shankly was probably too slow to dismantle his 60s team, and as a result there was a fallow people of a few years when his new team settled in. Looking at the records, after winning the title in 1966 they won nothing for 6 years. These days hardly any manager lasts 6 years...

Paisley learned from this, the Liverpool teams for the next 15 years never got old at once.

Very true.

Reminds me of the Shankly quote - when asked by a reporter what team he was going to put out that week he replied "same one as last year!"
  • Options
    Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

No. Ferguson did, difference was that he did it for himself. 26 odd years or so. No one compares to Fergie or ever will he built a dynasty that lasted for generations and produced 4 or 5 different league winning teams. No one got anywhere that or ever will.

Isn't that exactly what is meant by "Wasn't allowed to"?
  • Options

What is it with the BBC? They had a Dalglish feature film only a month back.

They should redress the balance with films about Dowie and Freye.

From the very first MOTD the Beeb (and indeed ITV, and later Sky) have had their tongues up Liverpool's arse. That is why I detest the club so much. Not their fault - though other "issues" are - and very childish of me, but there you are. I wont watch the documentary either, even if it is the best thing since sliced bread. Sad I know.
  • Options

From the very first MOTD the Beeb (and indeed ITV, and later Sky) have had their tongues up Liverpool's arse. That is why I detest the club so much. Not their fault - though other "issues" are - and very childish of me, but there you are. I wont watch the documentary either, even if it is the best thing since sliced bread. Sad I know.
    The documentary is fascinating - says a lot about the history of football. Shankly was a key figure in British football history so to ignore it because he happened to be a Liverpool manager seems a bit sad.

Shankly, Busby, Paisley, Revie, Clough and Jock Stein are fascinating characters in their own right and all warrant acknowledgement of their influence.
  • Options

The documentary is fascinating - says a lot about the history of football. Shankly was a key figure in British football history so to ignore it because he happened to be a Liverpool manager seems a bit sad.

Shankly, Busby, Paisley, Revie, Clough and Jock Stein are fascinating characters in their own right and all warrant acknowledgement of their influence.
    I stated very clearly that it is a bit sad of me - I just know there will be bits of it where they are blowing smoke up Liverpool FC's arse, and claiming things are "unique" ( in the non-squirrelface sense of the word ) about that club that actually are not. That will get me annoyed. Irrational, sad, pathetic or not, at least I realise it as a fault in me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

Isn't that exactly what is meant by "Wasn't allowed to"?
    Yeah he got sacked because he wasn't going to!
  • Options

I stated very clearly that it is a bit sad of me - I just know there will be bits of it where they are blowing smoke up Liverpool FC's arse, and claiming things are "unique" ( in the non-squirrelface sense of the word ) about that club that actually are not. That will get me annoyed. Irrational, sad, pathetic or not, at least I realise it as a fault in me.
    Try and watch the Lisbon Lions documentary about the 1967 Celtic European Cup triumph if it comes back on IPlayer - another excellent piece of football history. Not sure if you hate Celtic?

The success of Liverpool in Europe will inevitably give them a high profile in the same way Man Utd have got one. Both clubs have an interesting history and their fans do play this up.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup

Can you even read? Or are you a snowflake?
    Shankly was described as a great manager, one who laid the foundations.
    Leeds finished first or second five years out six, finishing third in the other. The question (note not a statement) was not unreasonable, unlike your strange response
    Don’t know what a snowflake is?
    Anyway sorry about my OTT response but you have no idea how highly I rate Shankly, he has hero status for me, so I’m unreasonably and stupidly touchy about anything that even approaches criticism of the great man.
    Also don’t know why there are quotes from other posters in my reply?
  • Options

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup

I am a great fan of Shankly he is without doubt one of the greats but he did not take Liverpool from nowhere. They were a very good 2nd Division team. Revie took Leeds from almost relegation to the 3rd Division to one of, if not, the best teams this country has ever seen.
  • Options

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup

I am a great fan of Shankly he is without doubt one of the greats but he did not take Liverpool from nowhere. They were a very good 2nd Division team. Revie took Leeds from almost relegation to the 3rd Division to one of, if not, the best teams this country has ever seen.
    Liverpool had been in the 2nd Division for a number of years when he took over so hardly very good. Revie and Shankly both revived failing clubs.
  • Options

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup

Well, you know what I mean.
  • Options
    Really hard to compare managers and eras, Back then it was much easier to take a 2nd division team to the top of the 1st, as transfers fees and wages were so much lower, and the finances of football were so much more even across the clubs.

Both Shankly and Revie were great managers. As a person, Revie was harder to like though! Similarly, the style of football Leeds played was functional rather than attractive.
  • Options
    Thought it was great also, when they showed Clough applauding Shankly whilst they were walking their teams out in a cup final at Wembley.

Showed fantastic respect and sportsmanship..
  • Options

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup

Shankly won:
    2nd Division title
    1st Division three times
    FA Cup twice
    UEFA Cup

"When Shankly arrived at Anfield on Monday, 14 December 1959, Liverpool had been in the Second Division for five years, and had been defeated by non-league Worcester City in the 1958–59 FA Cup. Anfield itself was in disrepair with no means of watering the pitch and Shankly described the training ground at Melwood as "a shambles".

Don't sound like a very good team to me.
  • Options
    I think Revie and Shankly were equally successful .However Liverpool were even more successful after Shankly left having created a legacy .Leeds just fell apart when Revie left.Thats the difference .