Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jermain Defoe OBE

Deserves his own thread.

Congratulations Jermain.

Comments

• Lets hope a KBE comes in for him, coz he'll be off!
  • What he did with young Bradley was superb.

However, does that really warrant an OBE? Doesn't feel right to me.

Agreed. But then again, I think that honours are handed out too freely anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• For those on here who don't know what the form is for treating our former players this is it:

Very good player who leaves on his terms to join PL side = "money grabbing traitor"
    Very good player who is sold by owner = "hero, not his fault"
    Good player who chooses to leave and sit on PL bench = "'hope he doesn't get splinters counting the money"
    Good player who decides to join League 2 side at end of contract = "wants to be big fish in small pond"
    Poor player who is released = "tough luck, hope he finds his level and doesn't mind stacking shelves at Tescos"
    Poor player who is released but then proves himself at League 1 level = "we were in the PL and we had ten of him in that position"
    Poor player who is released but then proves himself at PL level = "he was never that good and still isn't"
    Poor player who is released and then becomes an international = "bloody hell, he must be the England manager's love child"

And finally,
    Person who starts a thread like this = wind up merchant because, as a West Ham fan, he knows it will wind some people up!

Wait, @Riviera is West Ham?
  • se9addick said:

For those on here who don't know what the form is for treating our former players this is it:

Very good player who leaves on his terms to join PL side = "money grabbing traitor"
    Good player who chooses to leave and sit on PL bench = "'hope he doesn't get splinters counting the money"
    Good player who decides to join League 2 side at end of contract = "wants to be big fish in small pond"
    Poor player who is released = "tough luck, hope he finds his level and doesn't mind stacking shelves at Tescos"
    Poor player who is released but then proves himself at League 1 level = "we were in the PL and we had ten of him in that position"
    Poor player who is released but then proves himself at PL level = "he was never that good and still isn't"
    Poor player who is released and then becomes an international = "bloody hell, he must be the England manager's love child"

And finally,
    Person who starts a thread like this = wind up merchant because, as a West Ham fan, he knows it will wind some people up!

And really finally,
    And runs the risk of being "outed"
  • Outed! Lol! This thread is not a wind up. If you knew what you were talking about you'd know that I have stuck up for Defoe for years. Some people's attitude to him is just vile. He didn't even play for CAFC. EVER!
  • edited June 2018
    Riviera said:

Outed! Lol! This thread is not a wind up. If you knew what you were talking about you'd know that I have stuck up for Defoe for years. Some people's attitude to him is just vile. He didn't even play for CAFC. EVER!

That’s was confuses me. He left when he was 16. The only thing I don’t like about him is his middle name....Colin
  • If it raises awareness and encourages others to spend their time philanthropically then it's a good thing.

https://bradleyloweryfoundation.com
  • I thought his words were beautiful, genuine and his efforts to raise awareness and support the family were wonderful
  • Riviera said:

Outed! Lol! This thread is not a wind up. If you knew what you were talking about you'd know that I have stuck up for Defoe for years. Some people's attitude to him is just vile. He didn't even play for CAFC. EVER!

That’s was confuses me. He left when he was 16. The only thing I don’t like about him is his middle name....Colin
    I always thought his middle name was Jermain and his first name is Wanker?
  • shitbag wankstain.

It's a good thing no one else ever made selfish decisions at 15/16.
  • shitbag wankstain.

Proper weird
  • Congratulations Jermaine.

Thoroughly deserved honour to a decent and caring man.
  • Sponsored links:

• My opinion of him certainly changed, suppose he was a young man having decisions made for him, good career he has had as well.
  • se9addick said:

For those on here who don't know what the form is for treating our former players this is it:

And finally,

And really finally,
    And runs the risk of being "outed"
    Neither of those bizarre responses is an answer to my question:
    se9addick said:

And finally,

• I am NOT a West Ham fan. I was as a kid but not a real one, never been to Upton Park. I have no affiliation to any football club. My heart is and always has been in footballing terms with England.

Agree with this. Can't fault what Defoe did for Bradley and his family, and i certainly see him in a whole new light as a result, but does it really warrant an OBE?

I personally see an award like that as being awarded for years/decades of service towards a cause, not a few months.
  • See the fella in a total new light what pleasure he gave to that gorgeous beaming ray of light Bradley I wouldn’t care if he was made sir Jermaine Defoe

For the last months of that kids days Defoe comforted and ensured that his days were as happy as they could be

That is being just a good human and something everyone could learn a bit from

I knew it!! You're a right old softie at heart NLA!

Well said that man.

Agree with this. Can't fault what Defoe did for Bradley and his family, and i certainly see him in a whole new light as a result, but does it really warrant an OBE?

I personally see an award like that as being awarded for years/decades of service towards a cause, not a few months.
    Indeed.
    Anyone who works in a children's hospice for probably not much more than minimum wage deserves our utmost respect.
  • Someone gives up their spare time to make a young boys remaining months/years a bit more comfortable is still mocked? Probably does a lot more charity work than we know so respect to him for that. Are folks still bearing a grudge because he left us?