Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jermain Defoe OBE

Comments

• Options
    1StevieG said:

Someone gives up their spare time to make a young boys remaining months/years a bit more comfortable is still mocked? Probably does a lot more charity work than we know so respect to him for that. Are folks still bearing a grudge because he left us?

I don't think anyone is mocking him for what he did but some are a bit surprised at the award of a OBE for it.
    The bearing of a grudge because he left us very young is ridiculous.
  • Options
    In my opinion he made little Bradley's last year or so on earth the happiest time of his life because he was hanging out with his idol, mascot etc. For me that's priceless let alone receiving a OBE.
  • Options
    I think Scot Parker gave Charlton fans far more of a kick in the bollocks that JD did, and he don't seem to get as much grief. Unless ive missed it....
  • Options
    I don't like awards, but Jermain Defoe was fantastic with Bradley and became friends with him and his parents and gave up his time to bring some joy to the boy's short life.

Don't mix up the insular world of football and what a 15 year old academy player does compared to a 30 plus mature man in the harsh realities of real life and death.
  • Options
    Dubious award.

What Defoe did for Bradley shows he’s compassionate, caring and a good person and no one would argue with that.

However he’s got the time and money that most don’t have, to enable him to offer that level of care.

Besides there are thousands of people around the country doing that in their jobs, on poor wages, working extra time for no extra reward.

OBE? Not for me.

But then all of these awards have long been devalued the way they are given out so it’s not a moan at Defoe, but at the process for these awards.

If Defoe was not a famous footballer he would not be getting the award.
  • Options

I think Scot Parker gave Charlton fans far more of a kick in the bollocks that JD did, and he don't seem to get as much grief. Unless ive missed it....

He gets loads still and unjustly in my opinion.
  • Options

Do you mean Sir Scott Parker?
  • Options

See the fella in a total new light what pleasure he gave to that gorgeous beaming ray of light Bradley I wouldn’t care if he was made sir Jermaine Defoe

For the last months of that kids days Defoe comforted and ensured that his days were as happy as they could be

That is being just a good human and something everyone could learn a bit from

I absolutely agree
  • Options
    Judas
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Judas

That's Judas, OBE, to you.
  • Options
    totally. I used to give him some stick when he came to the valley. but that's a but of fun. all credit to him he's a credit to himself and clearly a great lad. proud he's an x addick
  • Options
    Well deserved
  • Options
    He's one of our own.
  • Options
    He’s become a good guy; fair play to him
  • Options

Yes......you missed it.
  • Options
    Still hate him
  • Options
    Well done to him
  • Options
    Just to say that when we look back on our lives we will most likely cringe with embarrassment and disbelief at some of the stupid and poor decisions we made, especially in our youth.
    People can and do change quite dramatically as they get older and in most cases for the best.
    Incidentally, I believe his larger than life domineering mother had a huge say in his move to Wet Spam.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    Could make things very awkward on the username front if he prevents 8 in a row.
  • Options
    I loved what he did for little Bradley. He has my total admiration for the light he put in to that lad's fading life.
    Was it worth an OBE? Well if it was there are thousands of unsung people doing exactly the same sadly, who also deserve recognition. But won't get it.

I didn't like the way he left CAFC, but I put the blame for that, more on to 'Arry boy than Defoe.
  • Options

Still a tw@t.

Good to see some long awaited self awareness :neutral:
  • Options

What he did with young Bradley was superb.

However, does that really warrant an OBE? Doesn't feel right to me.

Agreed. But then again, I think that honours are handed out too freely anyway.
    Surprised you never got one for your lol count.
  • Options
    On 100K a week at Cherries - no wonder they want rid.