Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Giro d'Italia (2019 from page 5)

Comments

• Good ride by Bennett
  • Ecuador get their first stage win and well deserved.

Froome looks a big of a worry after going down again but Yates still looking strong at the front.

Tomorrow looks like a very interesting stage.
  • Superb by Yates
  • Yates looks so relaxed. did a similar thing as before on Mt Etna. Just looking around at the others, waiting for the best moment then storming away. looks very strong.

Crash Froome had another stumble. looks like this race was a mistake to go for what with all the problems hanging over his head but I guess going for the hat trick was far to tempting to pass up.
  • Makes you wonder if Froome is going to be in the right shape for the Tour in a few months.

With Aru also racing you'd expect it to be a great chance for the likes of Richie Porte (I presume he's recovered from last years injury) or Adam Yates who is just as good as his Brother - Either way, if Froome is done it seems that British Cycling on the road is still in very safe hands

Should still expect less Stage wins though, Cavendish isnt getting any younger and whilst McLay has shown promise, there dont seem to be any Sprinters coming through for us at the moment that can challenge
  • Makes you wonder if Froome is going to be in the right shape for the Tour in a few months.

With Aru also racing you'd expect it to be a great chance for the likes of Richie Porte (I presume he's recovered from last years injury) or Adam Yates who is just as good as his Brother - Either way, if Froome is done it seems that British Cycling on the road is still in very safe hands

Should still expect less Stage wins though, Cavendish isnt getting any younger and whilst McLay has shown promise, there dont seem to be any Sprinters coming through for us at the moment that can challenge

Look out for Tom Pidcock over the next couple of years ... incredible talent.
  • well, I knew about it but rarely do you see such an example of how allergies can really destroy a riders race. Chaves losses 25 minutes because of it.
  • Think there was more to it than some hayfever.

25 minutes is a hell of a gap.
  • Quite a surprise - let's see how well Chaves does today.

Could well work in favour of Yates - his team can now fully support him for the Pink jersey.
  • Agreed with working in Yate's favour with Chaves out of it now.

The Alps will be fascinating viewing when they get there. Froome is a hell of a climber - metronomic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

Agreed with working in Yate's favour with Chaves out of it now.

The Alps will be fascinating viewing when they get there. Froome is a hell of a climber - metronomic.

cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-feeling-better-after-tough-giro-ditalia-stage/
  • starts next Friday the 4th of May. in Israel of all places. anyone know why?

some big names in this.

Pinot the great French hope is coming into the race having won the tour of the alps a couple of weeks back.
    Yates and Chaves look good in their team. be great to see Yates (this one is simon by the way) getting the Maglia Rosa. Aru's doing it for the locals and Dumoulin who's coming back to defend his title.

and of course there's Froome who is going for the hat trick of wining all three major races in succession. only two other riders have managed it. Hinault got three and the great Merckx did 4 in a row. the verdict for his on going asthma case will be given after the Giro and before the Tour de France so i guess even if he wins the Giro he might not get a chance to equal Marckx's record as he might be banned. not entirely sure what the most likely outcome is for the case. no doubt the French want him banned for the tour de france.

still it looks set to be a cracker of a race, (as the giro normally is) looking forward to it.

Money, plain and simple.
  • I'm guessing that with Simon in the Giro, we'll see Adam Yates in the Tour de France

Adam Yates is coming back from injury at the Tour of California. Like Simon, a seriously good rider.
  • JamesSeed said:

I'm guessing that with Simon in the Giro, we'll see Adam Yates in the Tour de France

Adam Yates is coming back from injury at the Tour of California. Like Simon, a seriously good rider.
    And doing well ... he's 3rd
  • Isnt Adam Yates supposed to be the better of the two?

I remember when one of them made their debut in the Tour and they were really relaxed in front of the camera, the following year it was the other ones turn (I'm sure it being Adam) and he was a lot more serious
  • Yates superb
  • Froomey was magnificent and Yates great 2nd. But Dumoulin looking very dangerous still.
  • What a great Giro. Froome has come alive. You never know what could happen now!
  • JamesSeed said:

What a great Giro. Froome has come alive. You never know what could happen now!

Great to hear his teammates say they are looking to get him in the pink jersey.
  • He must have had some confidence to break out 4km from home on that beast of a mountain. Well done Froomey.

He needs a far better time trial than the first one to close the gap and Domoulin is looking very dangerous.

Still can't knock a British one, two at the Giro.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gripping stage. Hope Dumoulin hasn't enough to pass Yates in the contre le montre. And you can't now ignore Froome.
    Brilliant Giro for us Brits.
  • Froome is too far down on Dumoulin to have any say in the standings. Even if he has a mare of a TT, Dumoulin is still probably going to beat Froome on current form and evidence - and he's got almost 2 minutes on him on GC. He could always crash, of course, but barring that, the only way Froome could make time up on him is if he catches him on a bad day and the skybots isolate him then put the hammer down. Dumoulin rode a very smart stage today and looked quietly impressive - despite the understandable animation about Froome's great win. Don't see him losing enough time on the rest of the mountains to make up for the minutes he'll put into Yates in the TT

Brilliant stage though. Love the Bonkolan
  • But you never know!
  • edited May 2018
    agree about Froomes chances of wining the tour. (unless something unforeseen happens to the GC contenders) he could easily get a podium place even second if his form continues on an upward curve but Dumoulin is never going to lose that much time in the time trial. Yates needs to just carry on with what he's doing, gaining a little bit of time at every opportunity on Dumoulin to give him a chance to still be in pink after the time trial. I hope it doesn't lead to Yates regretting his decision to let Chaves win on Mt Etna.
  • Certainly shaping up to be a great final week.
  • agree about Froomes chances of wining the tour. (unless something unforeseen happens to the GC contenders) he could easily get a podium place even second if his form continues on an upward curve but Dumoulin is never going to lose that much time in the time trial. Yates needs to just carry on with what he's doing, gaining a little bit of time at every opportunity on Dumoulin to give him a chance to still be in pink after the time trial. I hope it doesn't lead to Yates regretting his decision to let Chaves win on Mt Etna.

This.
    I thought at the time it wasn't the right thing to do. Nice thing to do, but dangerous.
  • general things that annoy me about this tour:

education first drapac team are really starting to get on my nerves. they shouldn't be allowed to have pink jerseys. from the helicopter shots I keep seeing one of their riders thinking its Yates.

education first drapac team are really starting to get on my nerves. they shouldn't be allowed to have pink jerseys. from the helicopter shots I keep seeing one of their riders thinking its Yates.

Counterpoint to that view is that its the best kit in the Peloton, so they can get away with it :lol:

Half the Teams must annoying you in the TdF as means you cant see the White Jersey ;)
  • And sorry but the Team Dimension Data kit is the best one in the peleton!!