Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Giro d'Italia (2019 from page 5)

starts next Friday the 4th of May. in Israel of all places. anyone know why?

some big names in this.

Pinot the great French hope is coming into the race having won the tour of the alps a couple of weeks back.
Yates and Chaves look good in their team. be great to see Yates (this one is simon by the way) getting the Maglia Rosa. Aru's doing it for the locals and Dumoulin who's coming back to defend his title.

and of course there's Froome who is going for the hat trick of wining all three major races in succession. only two other riders have managed it. Hinault got three and the great Merckx did 4 in a row. the verdict for his on going asthma case will be given after the Giro and before the Tour de France so i guess even if he wins the Giro he might not get a chance to equal Marckx's record as he might be banned. not entirely sure what the most likely outcome is for the case. no doubt the French want him banned for the tour de france.

still it looks set to be a cracker of a race, (as the giro normally is) looking forward to it.

Comments

• Well done Karim, yes looking forward to this one.
  • Very much looking forward to this, great potential for an exciting race.
  • Love Italy so love the Giro.
  • starts next Friday the 4th of May. in Israel of all places. anyone know why?

some big names in this.

Pinot the great French hope is coming into the race having won the tour of the alps a couple of weeks back.
    Yates and Chaves look good in their team. be great to see Yates (this one is simon by the way) getting the Maglia Rosa. Aru's doing it for the locals and Dumoulin who's coming back to defend his title.

and of course there's Froome who is going for the hat trick of wining all three major races in succession. only two other riders have managed it. Hinault got three and the great Merckx did 4 in a row. the verdict for his on going asthma case will be given after the Giro and before the Tour de France so i guess even if he wins the Giro he might not get a chance to equal Marckx's record as he might be banned. not entirely sure what the most likely outcome is for the case. no doubt the French want him banned for the tour de france.

still it looks set to be a cracker of a race, (as the giro normally is) looking forward to it.

Alphabetical order?
  • Just checked yesterday for when the start is and was also surprised to see the Israel start.

Never watched the full race before - is it being shown on Eurosport?
  • Looking forwards to the coverage of this. Anyone know if ITV have highlights as well? I'm almost taking it for granted that there'll be coverage on Eurosport, but as @Addickted says, do we know this to be the case? What ever happened in the end to the BIKE channel?

Money, Money, Money - £££££££

It's nothing new, it has started in Northern Ireland in recent years amongst other places, it brings tourism, interest to the area and lets the country show off its landmarks etc, Le tour does it as well.

Israel has made a concerted effort in recent years to increase its tourism advertising (they regularly advertise on Eurosport) and industry so it's no surprise they have paid a huge amount for the start of the Giro (can't remember the exact amount but its alot).

I'm not to pleased with the decision to start in Israel as it politicise's the Giro unnecessarily, as well appearing to brush Israel's treatment of Palestinians under the carpet.

This article which I agree largely with summarises it well - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/sep/24/israel-giro-ditalia-race-conflict-2018-start-cycling
  • Aside from that its shaping up to be a great race.

Yes it will be on Eurosport @Addickted and @CAFCLuke or you can probably stream it on tiz cycling or steep hill.
  • Addickted said:

Just checked yesterday for when the start is and was also surprised to see the Israel start.

Never watched the full race before - is it being shown on Eurosport?

Yup ... and highlights on Quest I believe.
  • Love the Giro. Mental climbs, still cold up North when it's on so snow in the Dolomites, less bullshit than there is at the tour and the racing makes for a much more exciting GC contest.

I'll go with Dumoulin to defend the title. Froome has too much distraction in his life and hasn't looked great in his races this year so far, Aru can't keep it together for more than two weeks without falling apart of making a stupid error, Chaves hasn't had the racing he needs and Lopez has potential, but is too inexperienced

For dark horses, I'd go with Simon Yates and Michael Woods. Yates looks better with every stage race he rides and Woods was brilliant at LBL last weekend
  • Sponsored links:

• Yates could definitely be up there.

Don’t write off Froome, he wasn’t far off last week in the Tour of the Alps.
  • just seen via the Quest thread that there is highlights for the Giro free to air on Quest. 7pm.

the individual time trial has started in Jerusalem. Froome crashed on a trial run this morning but apparently is fine.
    as to be expected all of the press conference for sky was taken up by questions aimed at Braisleford and Froome about his anti-doping case.

• Good sport KB, recorder set for Quest at 7pm.
  • edited May 2018
    Been following Froome's training in the lead up to this.
    He's up for this one, that's for sure.
  • Howells said:

Been following Froome's training in the lead up to this.
    He's up for this one, that's for sure.

So would I be with a fresh bag of blood each night and a pocket full of asthma pumps :smiley:
  • edited May 2018
    Great ride by Yates, and Dowsett did well.

Froome unfortunate with the recon crash but I think he can still make it up provided the crash hasn’t hurt him too badly.

Dumoulin did look good, but can he keep it up? He’s a strong rider.
  • gonna be tough for anyone to try and take the pink jersey off Dumoulin. Yates is still right in contention.

for the Italians Aru was a disappointment but that Pozzovivo looks in good shape. Still, it's early days.
  • edited May 2018
    Bet Sunweb love Dumoulin. Just the 20 days to defend the Jersey... :lol:
  • Such a strong finish by Viviana
  • Another strong Viviani finish
  • Sponsored links:

• TBF, it's not hard with that opposition. No other sprinters worth a wank in the whole race. Modolo is the only other one in his class, and his leadout is shite
  • edited May 2018

TBF, it's not hard with that opposition. No other sprinters worth a wank in the whole race. Modolo is the only other one in his class, and his leadout is shite

Fair point ... although I’m glad to see him do it in the Giro even if it isn’t on Italian soil.

Money, Money, Money - £££££££

It's nothing new, it has started in Northern Ireland in recent years amongst other places, it brings tourism, interest to the area and lets the country show off its landmarks etc, Le tour does it as well.

Israel has made a concerted effort in recent years to increase its tourism advertising (they regularly advertise on Eurosport) and industry so it's no surprise they have paid a huge amount for the start of the Giro (can't remember the exact amount but its alot).

I'm not to pleased with the decision to start in Israel as it politicise's the Giro unnecessarily, as well appearing to brush Israel's treatment of Palestinians under the carpet.

This article which I agree largely with summarises it well - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/sep/24/israel-giro-ditalia-race-conflict-2018-start-cycling
    Blimey if that was supposed to appeal to my tourist £ then they have failed tbh. 200+ kilometres of pretty grim, barren scrubland has left me much more unlikely to visit than before!

Roll on the move to Sicily.
  • if you like deserts then todays stage was for you. for me this little Israel excursion has been a pretty poor start to the race. glad they're heading over to Italy. proper race starts on Tuesday. Thursday is certainly a day that looks like the first real tough test as they climb up Mt Etna.
  • edited May 2018
    Separated at birth.

• Excellent attack from Simon Yates to get away from his rivals and come in second on Mt Etna!!

Could have won it and so gain extra bonus points in the GC yet gave it to his team mate who'd given his all in the breakaway

Regardless means that Yates is now Race Leader
  • Great ride by Yates and Chavez ... enjoyed that.
  • Wow. Just caught up with yesterdays stage highlights. mitchelton scott the aussie team (to go with our new supposed owners) had a result there!

great ride from both Chaves and Yates. the way both pulled away from the groups they were with looks very promising. when Yates was looking around at the others waving them on to give it a go and then just leaves them all for dust was excellent. also a nice touch to make sure Chaves won the stage as he had been part of the breakaway.
  • I'm guessing that with Simon in the Giro, we'll see Adam Yates in the Tour de France
  • edited May 2018

I'm guessing that with Simon in the Giro, we'll see Adam Yates in the Tour de France

I would imagine so.

There is actually a rumour that both brothers may go for the Tour.