Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Damned

Enjoy the music threads on here as a lot of people know their stuff and have given some great recommendations, so here's another one: The Damned. Any fans? Best albums, lineups? Anyone seen them live?

Missed them last time around here but I have seen they're on their 40th anniversary now so I imagine there will be a lot of touring. I know the early punk stuff more than the gothic later phase but they've always looked like a great live act.

Comments

• I thought it was a thread about Millwall
  • I saw them at Finsbury Park in 86 for their 10th year anniversary concert. Went to both nights and they had Dr & The Medics, The Fall, New Model Army amongst others supporting.

They were fantastic and by all accounts are still well worth seeing live. Might try and see where they're playing and go.
  • edited October 2017
    Damned groupies here.
    Best gig in recent times at The Marble Factory, Bristol - it was minus 4 degrees at the front as they started, but Dave crowd surfed and sang from all corners of the venue which warmed up the most enthusiastic crowd I've seen for a while, and we tend to go to 80 gigs a year and several festivals.
    New album currently being recorded.
    got tickets for all but 3 of the gigs in the New Year tour - current line up is pretty much the classic.
    Do yourself a favour and get yourself a ticket - we'll usually be at the front Left Hand side of the stage with a Charlton flag just for stripey Sensible. Come and say hi!
  • Saw them a few times back at the start. Terrific first album and quite a number of very good singles over the years.
  • I used to like them and after a gig at Woolwich Odeon one year (maybe 83 or 84?) I got an invite to their after show party at the mexican restaurant in Greenwich (which I think is still there). Great fun. Cab home about 2am, well pissed! First met Rat (Chris) in 77 at one of our Xmas parties at Dingwalls, and got on well with him. Chatted to the Captain when he played solo at our Rock Against Rupert benefit gig in 86 (I think it was) at Deptford Albany as I was in charge of the green room that night (we ran out of beer!).
  • The Light at the End of the Tunnel is a cracking compilation album.
  • Just looked at tickets for the Forum in Feb and they've only got seats in the balcony left.
  • One of my favourite bands back in the day, and saw them numerous times. Went to see them in Brighton last year and they were great. Damned Damned Damned and Machine Gun Etiquette my favourites. Still listen and am hankering after original pressings of those two albums on vinyl.
  • New Rose was the first single by a British punk group.
  • Last time I saw them was at the Bridge House in Canning Town - maybe 79? Amazed they're still going.

Favourite albums were Machine Gun Etiquette
    and the Black Album.

Excellent live when I saw them.
  • Sponsored links:

Great single
  • edited October 2017
    My first gig was them at the Roundhouse in November 76. Supported by The Drones and The Dead Boys.

Legendary first album but all downhill after that. Still have the rare Stretcher Case single. The cream of the Stiff records era.

My cousin, who was a bit older than me, gave me this single with picture cover in 1978 when he reckoned The Dammed had "sold out" and he wanted nothing more to do with them. I didn't realise the significance of it and sold it for £1 (I think) to a kid at school. Now going for........
    £25 on Ebay. I just checked. Was always led to believe it was worth loads!
  • My first gig was them at the Roundhouse in November 76. Supported by The Drones and The Dead Boys.

Legendary first album but all downhill after that. Still have the rare Stretcher Case single. The cream of the Stiff records era.

''all downhill'' hmmmmm
  • Have seen them a few times, most recently last December (I think) at Brixton. They play about 45 minutes rip roaring punk, then about half hour of very average tracks which are pretty slow but give you time to catch your breath, then an encore of 20 minutes fast punk. Absolutely love em. Even when they are playing tracks I don't like, I like them and the banter. Go see em, you won't regret it. Penetration supported them and did a very good set that I think was launching them on a bit of a comeback.
  • I saw them at Finsbury Park in 86 for their 10th year anniversary concert. Went to both nights and they had Dr & The Medics, The Fall, New Model Army amongst others supporting.

They were fantastic and by all accounts are still well worth seeing live. Might try and see where they're playing and go.

I was at Finsbury Park, great gig and I still have the t shirt. Saw the boys playing as Naz Nomad and the Nightmares in the 60s garage alter ego. Great band in any line-up
  • Saw that classic era bassist Paul Grey is back with the band for the new album and tour. No chance of Rat Scabies rejoining?
  • I saw them at a festival in Lloyd Park, Croydon in July 2010. I particularly enjoyed 'Eloise'.
    Guitarist Ray (aka Captain Sensible), who grew up in Croydon, was wearing a Crystal Palace shirt.
    Here they are playing 'Smash it up' and 'Happy talk'.

https://youtu.be/IdfiIeCjrT0

Captain Sensible is a keen trainspotter, which is more in keeping with the spirit of punk than being a nigel (relatively speaking)
  • Went to a concert in Folkestone back in 87ish with Mate who was a big fan. Had an old black leather jacket and my mate used tippex and done a profile of lead singer on the back of the coat. As we left, Someone gave me 100 quid for it. As a 16 year old didn't mind being cold going home with that kind of money in my pocket.
  • Last time I saw them was at the Bridge House in Canning Town - maybe 79? Amazed they're still going.

Favourite albums were Machine Gun Etiquette
    and the Black Album.

Excellent live when I saw them.

Think I was at that one. They played as "The School Bullies" supported by the Cockney Rejects and the Four Skins.
  • Sponsored links:

• Brilliant performance at the Royal Albert Hall this year, who actually turned them down back in the day ! Good set and great energy for a bunch of old fuckers like me ! New Rose encore was disguised but we all knew what was coming. See em while you can.
  • Just how long is this 40th anniversary tour? I saw them on it last year.
  • red10 said:

Brilliant performance at the Royal Albert Hall this year, who actually turned them down back in the day ! Good set and great energy for a bunch of old fuckers like me ! New Rose encore was disguised but we all knew what was coming. See em while you can.

Quite tempted to go and see them next year - forgotten how many of their songs I like.
  • Anyone reckon the album Strawberries is worth picking up? It's going cheap in my local CD shop but I don't recognise any of the songs. Mainly just know the main big singles.
  • Ladies and gentlemen, howdo!
  • Anyone reckon the album Strawberries is worth picking up? It's going cheap in my local CD shop but I don't recognise any of the songs. Mainly just know the main big singles.

Strawberries worth picking ?

Save your pesetas
  • edited February 2018
    New album coming out soon and on tour at the moment, including two gigs in London this weekend. Any of the Damned fans on here seen them recently or going to one of the upcoming shows? I remember there was someone on here who goes to every gig of theirs!