Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Damned

2»

Comments

• New album coming out soon and on tour at the moment, including two gigs in London this weekend. Any of the Damned fans on here seen them recently or on tour at the moment. I remember there was someone on here who goes to every gig of theirs!

Thanks for that.
  • Anyone reckon the album Strawberries is worth picking up? It's going cheap in my local CD shop but I don't recognise any of the songs. Mainly just know the main big singles.

Always liked this record.
  • edited February 2018
    Nottingham, Cardiff Uni and Bristol O2 all great gigs but cider £5 a pint in the student Union, Bristol O 2 using 2 pint glasses at £8.
    Two ever present goth ladies were invited on stage in Cardiff to help sing Jet Boy, Jet Girl, and then proposed, which was fun.
    Barrie Masters joined them onstage too for one song at the Essex gig. Amazing as he had no monitor as DV uses an in ear one.

Dave Vanian quite poorly but they are playing tonight, but giving it a miss. Playing 3 songs from new album which all sound great. Well worth going to see if anyone is thinking about it.
  • edited February 2018
    Should add that Paul Gray, original Eddie and the Hot Rods bassist and last played with Damned back in late 80's(?), is an excellent addition to this tour. He has severe tinnitus and a Perspex shield from the drums but has really grown back into the gigs. Great stage presence and and like all of them, very friendly with the fans.
    Should also say that (ex Stray Cat) Slim Jim Phantom is a superb support artist. Rockabilly at its best, even if Jim himself says he was the third best singer in The Cats!
    He went out with Sensible, gambling in Cardiff til 6am.
  • I'm going Friday, hope Vanian is better.
  • Should add that Paul Wray, original Eddie and the Hot Rods bassist and last played with Damned back in late 80's(?), is an excellent addition to this tour. He has severe tinnitus and a Perspex shield from the drums but has really grown back into the gigs. Great stage presses end and like all of them, very friendly with the fans.
    Should also say that (ex Stray Cat) Slim Jim Phantom is a superb support artist. Rockabilly at its best, even if Jim himself says he was the third best singer in The Cats!

Paul Gray left in 1983 and was replaced by Bryn Merrick who died recently (I think).
    Great Band, loads of memories and still great Live. Playing London Sat and Sunday.
  • Friday (Koko) and Saturday (Forum)
  • edited February 2018

Should add that Paul Wray, original Eddie and the Hot Rods bassist and last played with Damned back in late 80's(?), is an excellent addition to this tour. He has severe tinnitus and a Perspex shield from the drums but has really grown back into the gigs. Great stage presses end and like all of them, very friendly with the fans.

Paul Gray left in 1983 and was replaced by Bryn Merrick who died recently (I think).
    Great Band, loads of memories and still great Live. Playing London Sat and Sunday.
    Originally, yes he left in 83, but my hazy memory meant I've just checked.
    He rejoined in 1989 and stayed with them till the mid 90's.
  • New album out recently. Any of the fans on here got it and any thoughts?
  • Yeah thought it was a good solid album, a bit mellow with no real rockers. Sensible obviously at the helm of the songwriting, abit 'strawberries' like in places. Stand out track for me 'Devil in Disguise'.
    Missed the tour in Feb will have to wait til Shepherds Bush in November now.
    Brian James plays Islington later this month though. His last Album 'The Guitar that Dripped Blood' is great.
  • Sponsored links:

• Should add that Paul Wray, original Eddie and the Hot Rods bassist and last played with Damned back in late 80's(?), is an excellent addition to this tour. He has severe tinnitus and a Perspex shield from the drums but has really grown back into the gigs. Great stage presses end and like all of them, very friendly with the fans.

Originally, yes he left in 83, but my hazy memory meant I've just checked.
    He rejoined in 1989 and stayed with them till the mid 90's.
    "A-R-T-H-U-R" apologies Paul Gray did rejoin in early 1990's for various tours. Think my memory is more hazy than yours!
  • New album out recently. Any of the fans on here got it and any thoughts?

Yup. Been a fan since New Rose and enjoy the new stuff too.
  • Yeah thought it was a good solid album, a bit mellow with no real rockers. Sensible obviously at the helm of the songwriting, abit 'strawberries' like in places. Stand out track for me 'Devil in Disguise'.
    Missed the tour in Feb will have to wait til Shepherds Bush in November now.
    Brian James plays Islington later this month though. His last Album 'The Guitar that Dripped Blood' is great.

Didn’t know about the Brian James album. Cheers
  • There was a mention of The Damned on the Young Ones Documentary on Dave. Apparantly they reformed specifically to appear on the programme. It seems they all hated Captain Sensible and when they went to a Curry House after recording the show, had a massive fight because the Captain wouldnt stop going on about Happy Talk. Apparantly the reunion just lasted the two days.
  • Ladies and gentlemen, how do?  What a great album that was. That Perfect Day track is a better too.
  • New Rose was the first single by a British punk group.
    And spiffing it is, too.