Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Crawley Town v Charlton | Match Preview (and Match Thread)

Crawley Town v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 29th August 2017 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Football League Trophy (Group Stage) – Round One

Introduction

So that two matches on our away travels now complete… Defeat against Norwich in the League Cup last week was followed up by an impressive 2-0 win over Rotherham United, which despite this early stage of the season leaves the Addicks just short of the promotion places. Once again though it’s time to take a break from League action as we begin our campaign in the Football League Trophy with a trip to West Sussex and League Two: Crawley Town.

The Opposition
Name: Crawley Town | Manager: Harry Kewell
Ground: CheckaTrade.com Stadium

When Harry Kewell was sacked as Head Coach of Watford U23s, few would expect him to pop up as the First-Team Manager of Crawley Town just a month later, yet that is where one of Australia’s most famous Footballers has ended up and you could say it’s been a bit of a learning curve for a man taking his first proper steps in League Management… After a steady pre-season which saw Crawley losing just two games they enter this game having just one game all season, although thankfully for Kewell that came last time out against high fliers: Swindon Town in what was a 3-1 win.

Yet the Football League Trophy is a whole different kettle of fish when it comes to form… Last season is a perfect example with Charlton being one of many teams favouring the League over a competition which fans have no belief in… Crawley last term the only side to defeat Charlton in normal time went on to reach the next round yet defeat against Coventry City in that next round quickly saw an end to the Red Devil’s hopes of a Wembley appearance.

One of the new changes to the competition has been the fact teams now don’t all play their games at the same time as others and the two other teams in our Group (Portsmouth and Fulham U21s) have already begun their Trophy campaigns which saw a 1-1 draw with Fulham taking the bonus point following their win in the penalty shootout that came at the end of the draw… Should Charlton or Crawley wish to advance to the next round, both teams already have some catching up to do!!

Charlton Team News
One of the more ridiculous rules in this competition is the fact that teams must play four players who appeared in their last League fixture, failure to do so and as Luton accepted last season then fines do get received… With the transfer window still open till Thursday you’d hope that Charlton wont risk the fine of £5,000 as this could jeopardise our attempts to sign a Striker!!

Two first-team players who should be missing this Tuesday will be Josh Magennis and Jay Dasilva who will have linked up with their respective countries for International Duty yet Karl Robinson did confirm over the weekend that Ben Reeves should be fit to play in this fixture, no doubt giving Billy Clarke a deserved rest.

Phillips
Dijksteel | Bauer | Konsa | Jackson
Crofts | Forster-Caskey
Ahearne-Grant | Reeves | Fosu
Novak

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Sarr | Pearce | Charles-Cook | Holmes | Aribo | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
We all make a mockery of this competition yet ultimately it’s down to Karl Robinson if he decides that he wants Charlton to have a cup run yet the fact that MK Dons under our Manager never went beyond the second round is some proof that he won’t bother… Defeat against Crawley won’t be great for the fringe players yet with bigger fish to fry this season we need to concentrate on other more urgent matters.

Comments

• 9-0 to the Creepy Crawleys
  • I predict a great night and I'll be there to soak it all up.....

2-0 to us
  • If, like the FA and PL, you think that helping PL academies is key, then the 4 player rule just about makes sense, to make sure that the U23 teams get a "proper" team to play against (I don't agree, but this is the reason for this rule)

As we're playing a L2 team, it makes no sense whatsoever.
  • Probably a comfortable 4-0 away win ( but who cares).
  • Reeco's first goal but a penalty shoot out defeat after a draw
  • Havy you got it in for Aribo?
  • edited August 2017
    Screw the rules. We should play a completely changed 11 and rest everyone. I'd love to see Bowyer given a game.

Am I right in thinking that DaSilva will also miss a league game? If so I'd try Sarr or Barnes at LB and have Jacko in CM. We need to at least look at another option for that LB role. If we can't find a better option that Jacko then so be it but we have to try.

Phillips
    Barnes Dijksteel Konsa Sarr
    Jackson Aribo
    Charles-Cook Reeves KAG
    Novak

AMB Bowry Edwards Crofts Lapslie RHF Bowyer

• Sponsored links:

• Surely the two call-ups should count towards the four. If you had eleven call-ups/injuries you couldn't comply.

Yeah I've long thought this as well. It makes perfect sense which means it will noooooo happen.
  • Is it U21 or U23's that play in this embarrassing tournament
  • Is it U21 or U23's that play in this embarrassing tournament

U21s
  • The road to Wembley starts with a Novak hat trick putting him firmly at the top of the Charlton goal scorers list for the season
  • Is Harry Kewell still married to that bird off Emmerdale?
  • thats about my level of interest in this game....?
  • dickplumb said:

Team that I think will start

Phillips
    Dijksteel, Konsa, Sarr, Barnes
    Aribo, Crofts
    Charles-cook, Reeves, Ahearne- Grant
    Hackett-Fairchild.

I'd love to see this team start... Just with how tight the club can be I cant see them wanting to pay the fine
  • Southbank said:

Havy you got it in for Aribo?

Think I must do... Keep forgetting about him!!
  • dickplumb said:

Phillips
    Aribo, Crofts
    Hackett-Fairchild.

Good team
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2017

dickplumb said:

Phillips
    Aribo, Crofts
    Hackett-Fairchild.

Good team
    Possibly weak up front though, wouldn't you agree? ;)
  • https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/59a512d184238/ben-reeves-set-to-start-tonights-game-against-crawley

Interesting comments from Robinson, looks as though I was right to leave Lapslie on the bench (despite since changing him for Aribo)... Only going to be four subs as well with Johnnie Jackson and Lee Novak on there.

Makes you wonder (1) who'll be starting @ Left-Back (2) Looks like Reece Hackett-Fairchild will start which he deserves if so.

Also if we are going in with four subs shows how seriously we're taking the competition!!
  • The only positive I can see in competing in this competition is to give the youngsters a taste of 1st team football.
    Hopefully we can gain promotion this season and never have to worry about it again.

2.0 Charlton btw
  • The only positive I can see in competing in this competition is to give the youngsters a taste of 1st team football.
    Hopefully we can gain promotion this season and never have to worry about it again.

2.0 Charlton btw

Only time I ever want to see us worrying about it again is when we've got Cat.1 status and ARE allowed to use it to blood in the youngsters - If given that opportunity as a Championship side (like Fulham and Reading) I hope we take it.

Be an advanced competition like the Kent Senior Cup to give some great experience to the kids.

2.0 Charlton btw

Only time I ever want to see us worrying about it again is when we've got Cat.1 status and ARE allowed to use it to blood in the youngsters - If given that opportunity as a Championship side (like Fulham and Reading) I hope we take it.

Be an advanced competition like the Kent Senior Cup to give some great experience to the kids.
    Quite ironic that this is exactly how we are using it now.
  • dickplumb said:

Phillips
    Aribo, Crofts
    Hackett-Fairchild.

That's what I would like to see, would imagine Novak will start ahead of RHF though.
  • dickplumb said:

Phillips
    Aribo, Crofts
    Hackett-Fairchild.

Bang on! Got an "in" with Robinson?
  • edited August 2017

dickplumb said:

Phillips
    Aribo, Crofts
    Hackett-Fairchild.

That's what I would like to see, would imagine Novak will start ahead of RHF though.
    No, that is the team that will start. It has been announced by Robinson. Novak and Jackson will be starting Saturday so have been left out of the starting eleven. Only four subs will be travelling as there will be a hard training session today. Subs will be Novak, Jackson, Lapslie and I presume Maynard - Brewer.

• If I say I don't care enough even to not give a flying wotsit, that would overestimate my enthusiasm for this game by 200%. Good chance to blood the youngsters and get Reeves some game time. Otherwise I refer to my first point.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!