Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Naby Sarr - gone to Reading, scored the winner against Millwall at the Den (p13)

Comments

• Worth keeping. Encouraging performance on Tuesday.
  • He certainly has the physical requirements to be a good player.

Time will tell re everything else.
  • The reason that fans seem to pick on Sarr as a poor player has very little to do with his actual play. Hypothetical -if someone told me that we had a homegrown defensive player who was 23 years old, has played about a dozen games and has been a little bit up and down with 7 or 8 games where he has played decently and 4 or 5 where he has struggled, generally we would say that he might be one to have as a reserve and could potentially develop into a solid player in the future. The main reason we have a problem with him is that he is emblematic of the ineptitude of management - spending an unbelievable amount of money on a foreign player who was unproven and whose market value was significantly less than what was paid. I personally am willing to give him a chance as a reserve (not a starter) - hopefully others will as well.

I like your logic but Where were the 7 or 8 decent games ?
  • As has been said previously, look at who was coaching him before- network stooges who had no idea on the English game and what he should be doing and when,

Now he has better coaches who know the English game and players like Pearce who can tell him exactly what to expect in this league and coach/advise him better than any network coach.

He may still turn out to be a flop but, based on his pre season form and Tuesday night I'm prepared to give give him another chance, you don't play and score in the champions league if your completely shit.
  • Sponsored links:

• The reason that fans seem to pick on Sarr as a poor player has very little to do with his actual play. Hypothetical -if someone told me that we had a homegrown defensive player who was 23 years old, has played about a dozen games and has been a little bit up and down with 7 or 8 games where he has played decently and 4 or 5 where he has struggled, generally we would say that he might be one to have as a reserve and could potentially develop into a solid player in the future. The main reason we have a problem with him is that he is emblematic of the ineptitude of management - spending an unbelievable amount of money on a foreign player who was unproven and whose market value was significantly less than what was paid. I personally am willing to give him a chance as a reserve (not a starter) - hopefully others will as well.

It does help that the level he's operating at has drastically dropped. He was signed as a Championship defender primed to take over from Mahmadou Diarra at centre half so that Diarra could move back to his natural position in a team that was talking about pushing for promotion to the Premier League. Now he's just had a decent game as the fourth choice centre half playing against a League Two team. You're right that expectation plays into his perception; seeing a player who was touted as possibly being a centre half in the Prem turn out in a second string against Exeter and find his level is a bit of a killer for fans.

You might have given him a bit too much credit here though; he's really not had 7 or 8 good games. I actually struggle to think of any really solid games he's had prior to Exeter other than Sheffield Wednesday, and even then he managed to totally air kick the ball under no pressure and gift them a goal. Maybe there is potential in there but I feel tense every time he's on the pitch because he's got so much comedy gold tucked away in his locker. I can't imagine him being first team for us in the Championship any time soon and that's the kind of player we should be trying to look towards
    Agree with everything else you say, but we don't need to worry if our 4th choice CB in League 1 can be a Championship starter.

I would be a bit concerned if Pearce was ruled out for the season (touch wood), but I think he's decent enough cover at this level.
  • edited August 2017
    I think some of the points made against him would be valid if he was 33 but not 23!!! Two seasons ago he was 21. Players can improve and of course, the point has already been made that this is League One also!
  • Nicholas said:

Time to leave Sarr alone and let him get on with it, yes he looked poor in the championship but that was 2 years ago playing alongside a load of other shite players. Agree he is disliked more because he one of their signing's during a shit period and as others have said if it was a homegrown player he would be given time. Lets face if some had their way on here Yado Mambo would still be at the club.

If he does turn into Bobby Moore overnight, I'll be thrilled. I shall wait and see when he plays in a competitive game or 5 against a team in our division ( or higher ) until I change my view that he is absolute garbage.
  • Did Bobby Moore play much in the third division?
  • wmcf123 said:

Nicholas said:

Time to leave Sarr alone and let him get on with it, yes he looked poor in the championship but that was 2 years ago playing alongside a load of other shite players. Agree he is disliked more because he one of their signing's during a shit period and as others have said if it was a homegrown player he would be given time. Lets face if some had their way on here Yado Mambo would still be at the club.

If he does turn into Bobby Moore overnight, I'll be thrilled. I shall wait and see when he plays in a competitive game or 5 against a team in our division ( or higher ) until I change my view that he is absolute garbage.
    I agree he was shite first time round he was also playing in a struggling shit team that was going down. Not to mention the fact that he was a kid in a new country.

There's a very good chance he will turn out to be shite like everyone first thought, but his gone away on loan for a year and may have improved but only time will tell.
  • wmcf123 said:

Nicholas said:

yes because you are either Bobby Moore or garbage.
  • Scoham said:

wmcf123 said:

se9addick said:

The Naby Sarr propaganda needs to stop.

Everyone says he's shit so he must be good. Nabby Corbyn
    it's just the charlton life elite who are terrified of being shown the regime is right (this is how ridiculous corbynite arguements like this sound)
    Whatever Sarr does this season doesn't prove anyone right. He was signed to be a first team player in the Championship in 2015/16, not for his potential in League 1 two seasons later.
    Exactly. That we've sunk to a level where he may be competent is hardly a ringing endorsement. Always looked short on concentration and physical strength when I saw him.
  • edited August 2017
    I don't disagree, but he may be more than decent a) because he has improved - which is entirely possible and b) because the level he is playing at is lower - which is unfortunately a fact, so why can't people just cut him a bit of slack and view him in that context. If he was a new signing and we were simply judging him on his pre-season form, we would be more than satisfied.
  • Sponsored links:

• He was shit in the Championship and shit when on loan last season. He has had a couple of decent pre seasons by all accounts. Everyone should give him a chance to see what he can do if given a chance but I certainly don't have much hope he will be better.
  • wmcf123 said:

Nicholas said:

yes because you are either Bobby Moore or garbage.
    Absolutely not - I agree. But since he's been gone, plus a couple of friendlies
    against average opposition, he's become worthwhile again . All I suggest is that we give it time to see if he's good; - friendly against Dover isn't enough to suggest excellent

I think you're being very sympathetic to describe Sarr as having had "7 or 8 games where he has played decently".

Trust me, the reason that fans pick on Sarr has everything "to do with his actual play".
  • edited August 2017
    se9addick said:

The reason that fans seem to pick on Sarr as a poor player has very little to do with his actual play. Hypothetical -if someone told me that we had a homegrown defensive player who was 23 years old, has played about a dozen games and has been a little bit up and down with 7 or 8 games where he has played decently and 4 or 5 where he has struggled, generally we would say that he might be one to have as a reserve and could potentially develop into a solid player in the future. The main reason we have a problem with him is that he is emblematic of the ineptitude of management - spending an unbelievable amount of money on a foreign player who was unproven and whose market value was significantly less than what was paid. I personally am willing to give him a chance as a reserve (not a starter) - hopefully others will as well.

I think you're being very sympathetic to describe Sarr as having had "7 or 8 games where he has played decently".

Trust me, the reason that fans pick on Sarr has everything "to do with his actual play".
    I don't trust you, because since he has returned he has played relatively well. Yes at a lower level - but that is the level we find ourselves in. It isn't about saying he is brillinat, but giving him a clean slate - something that some seem too reluctant to do.
  • se9addick said:

The reason that fans seem to pick on Sarr as a poor player has very little to do with his actual play. Hypothetical -if someone told me that we had a homegrown defensive player who was 23 years old, has played about a dozen games and has been a little bit up and down with 7 or 8 games where he has played decently and 4 or 5 where he has struggled, generally we would say that he might be one to have as a reserve and could potentially develop into a solid player in the future. The main reason we have a problem with him is that he is emblematic of the ineptitude of management - spending an unbelievable amount of money on a foreign player who was unproven and whose market value was significantly less than what was paid. I personally am willing to give him a chance as a reserve (not a starter) - hopefully others will as well.

I don't trust you, because since he has returned he has played relatively well. Yes at a lower level - but that is the level we find ourselves in. It isn't about saying he is brillinat, but giving him a clean slate - something that some seem too reluctant to do.
    In a friendly at Dover ? I'm excited
  • se9addick said:

Pre-season games count for absolutely nothing, we all know that. Only consistent performances in actual matches will erase the memory of that horror show by Sarr at Colchester.

How was he against Exeter?
  • Annoys me that people can't even spell our players' names to be honest.

Naby Sarr is not the best player in our squad, far from it, but he is adequate enough as a back up centre back in the third tier of English football. No he wasn't billed as such when we bought him, but that's what he is and I for one firmly believe he is a better footballer than what many are willing to accept