Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• @Addick Addict sorry to hear Seb is finding it tough to break back in after his unlucky injury break - here's hoping he will knock the door down with his on-field performances over the coming month or so.
  • Paddy didn't play. We had them on about 110-3 after 35 overs (I bowled my 10 overs opening off the reel, 1-47) and then a guy came in and hit 46 off 12 and they got 199. Then we chased quite well, fell away towards the end. Ash got a few, batted nicely (having bowled 10 overs for 16 earlier, the solid counterpart to my spectacular, or something) but we didn't have the firepower. Or rather, we did, but the firepower was made to bat at fucking number eleven behind a load of muppets, and was the only one who didn't get in. Paddy if you're reading, I'm at 6 for the rest of the fucking season :scream::cry::rage:
  • Oh yeah, and my dear cousin, who hopefully isn't reading this, was responsible for most of that run-torrent, shrugging his shoulders and saying 'they're not even bad balls!' as another 50mph half-tracker vanished over the boundary, and then managed to talk himself into batting at 10 based on the fact he'd outscored me in our one innings together this season. Watching him swing impotently in the last over put me over the edge somewhat
  • I could go on
  • Why, how did you go? :D
  • Do I take it you're still not over it @Leuth?
  • Fuck me sideways, didn't get anywhere near the end of those posts Leuth, far too much going on hahaha.

We had a 1st (us) v 2nd and absolutely fucked them!! Still only dropped two points all season, and it was againt you lot!!
  • Leuth said:

Why, how did you go? :D

Not too many, 35.
  • Sponsored links:

• I took my first ever 5fer yesterday.

Played a friendly so the standard wasn't great, a few more kids than usual etc. But as usual for this level there are a couple of ringers. One ex England youth international and a couple who okay at a much higher level.

I bowled a lovely inswinger to take the off bail of their opener. Then bowled a rank wide half volley which their number 3 bottom edged straight into our keepers hands. Then thought the ex England youth player was going to destroy my slow medium but first ball he was through the shot too early and spooned it straight back at me!

I'd decimated their top order in 3 overs. Came back to mop up the tail and got two more bowled off stump. Pretty satisfied.

Well done @cantersaddick. What did you do for the rest of the day after that hour or so playing cricket?
  • AshBurton said:

I took my first ever 5fer yesterday.

Played a friendly so the standard wasn't great, a few more kids than usual etc. But as usual for this level there are a couple of ringers. One ex England youth international and a couple who okay at a much higher level.

I bowled a lovely inswinger to take the off bail of their opener. Then bowled a rank wide half volley which their number 3 bottom edged straight into our keepers hands. Then thought the ex England youth player was going to destroy my slow medium but first ball he was through the shot too early and spooned it straight back at me!

I'd decimated their top order in 3 overs. Came back to mop up the tail and got two more bowled off stump. Pretty satisfied.

Well done @cantersaddick. What did you do for the rest of the day after that hour or so playing cricket?
    Very good question. As it was a friendly we had a quick 10 over dash after with batting orders reversed. Proper village that.
  • scores on the doors please Simo
  • scores on the doors please Simo

100 over game.

Ickenham 3rd XI 184-6 in 55 overs. Our no.3 played the innings of his life....69.

Stanmore 3rd XI 149-9 in 45 overs Bloke ran a bye of a missed stumping chance (hard chance) last ball of game to get them a winning draw. They risked getting two points more than us for handing us a win.....mental.

Started at 12.30pm....finished at 7.45pm.
  • Do Ickenham still tour the New Forest ? Staying at Forest Park Hotel , many moons ago I used to tour there with Metrogas/Shooters Hill 2001 CC and I think it was Ickenham who used to tour around similar dates
  • Do Ickenham still tour the New Forest ? Staying at Forest Park Hotel , many moons ago I used to tour there with Metrogas/Shooters Hill 2001 CC and I think it was Ickenham who used to tour around similar dates

Yep....they were there last week. Don't play any fixtures anymore.....they just go for beer and golf.
  • This morning at work, I was leaving our building (of 5,000 people) and spotted a colleague doing the same, who I hadn't seen for months but is a fellow Charlton fan:

Me (as icebreaker): Hey Tim! What do you call 2 Charlton supporters together in one place? (Short pause) Next season's home crowd.
    Tim (ignoring sad attempt at joke): Actually I think I might go to the first home match
    Me: I won't, as I'll be playing cricket
    Tim: My son wants to start playing cricket again
    Me (straight into recruiting mode): Great, does he need a club?
    Tim: He's playing for the Old Colfeians 4th XI on Saturday.
    Me: Oh, that's my team!

Two hours later @PaddyP17 sent round the team sheet confirming this. I am now a bit spooked.
    AshBurton said:

This morning at work, I was leaving our building (of 5,000 people) and spotted a colleague doing the same, who I hadn't seen for months but is a fellow Charlton fan:

Me (as icebreaker): Hey Tim! What do you call 2 Charlton supporters together in one place? (Short pause) Next season's home crowd.
    Tim (ignoring sad attempt at joke): Actually I think I might go to the first home match

Two hours later @PaddyP17 sent round the team sheet confirming this. I am now a bit spooked.

Another coincidence is that I believe your game is gainst Bexley Red Caps if I'm not mistaken at Loring Hall. Would have been great to meet up but, unfortunately, Seb is playing for Bexley's 4s against Blackheath Wanderers 2s on Saturday.

AshBurton said:

This morning at work, I was leaving our building (of 5,000 people) and spotted a colleague doing the same, who I hadn't seen for months but is a fellow Charlton fan:

Another coincidence is that I believe your game is gainst Bexley Red Caps if I'm not mistaken at Loring Hall. Would have been great to meet up but, unfortunately, Seb is playing for Bexley's 4s against Blackheath Wanderers 2s on Saturday.
    News travels fast, it is indeed. Hopefully your Red Caps won't have anyone who can bludgeon 47 off 11 balls (final confirmed stats from our oppo last Saturday). As you say, shame not to meet up.
  • Sponsored links:

• AshBurton said:

AshBurton said:

News travels fast, it is indeed. Hopefully your Red Caps won't have anyone who can bludgeon 47 off 11 balls (final confirmed stats from our oppo last Saturday). As you say, shame not to meet up.
    A friend of mine and the Bexley Chairman is likely to be in opposition and he has "bludgeoned" a few in his time - and I am not just talking about runs!

express.co.uk/entertainment/books/757068/Peter-Bleksley-top-cop-became-TV-chief-hunter
  • Anyone fancy a game on Saturday? Pretty short across all sides of varying abilities, so let me know!

Cheers!
  • My mob Lessa Wanderers finally managed to win a game yesterday...In a time game the oppo Statics batted first and after a fine start by our opening bowlers things went a little Pete Tong and they got 210.

As we've not scored over 200 for about two seasons things weren't looking good but some fine batting from the opening 3 set us on our way and despite losing 3 wickets in one over we made it with one ball to spare.

Happy Days :smiley:
  • I took my first ever 5fer yesterday.

well done on your Michelle.. Canters
  • Following on from my plea for players earlier in the week:

I'm the 4th team skipper. I had 18 (18!!!) available until last night. By contrast, the 1s and 2s both had seven. Everything is upside down.

We now all have eleven and one of the best bowlers at the club has "just become available" and it's really really really annoying that that's happened so late on. And we can't dick people around any more, so he's not playing.

Sigh. Why is the mechanics of club cricket side selection harder to understand than fucking quantum physics...
  • PaddyP17 said:

Following on from my plea for players earlier in the week:

I'm the 4th team skipper. I had 18 (18!!!) available until last night. By contrast, the 1s and 2s both had seven. Everything is upside down.

We now all have eleven and one of the best bowlers at the club has "just become available" and it's really really really annoying that that's happened so late on. And we can't dick people around any more, so he's not playing.

Sigh. Why is the mechanics of club cricket side selection harder to understand than fucking quantum physics...

dont worry padster its the same elsewhere ! when i first came into cricket (obviously no such thing as mobile phones or the interweb ...infact i didnt have a home phoneline , a selection committee would meet at the club (10 mins spent selecting teams 50 mins spent on the piss) names would go on a noticeboard and that was it ...it seemed to work ok !!!!
  • PaddyP17 said:

Twas ever thus.
  • Oh, worth mentioning that @Addickted2TheReds and I ran into each other last Sunday for a friendly down at Beckenham. Great track btw.

We posted a gamely 202-5 off our 35 overs. Seems like a decent score - in truth, seemed a bit light on what is a wonderful Premier League track, but hey ho.

A2TR nearly got concussed by the way, much to their lot's amusement... Hope you're alright mate. He did get out one of our best bats, thanks in no small part to a great diving pouch at long on by a bloke who'd run 30 yards round from wideish mid-off.

They chased it, with nine wickets in hand, within 25 overs. I went for 51 off 6 and took the sole wicket. A true drubbing. Their bat hit 129*. (I did get their 2nd team bat out for 49 though, but not before he'd taken me apart, with a nice bit of flight.)

The game left me in no doubt as to why Beckenham are so bloody good!
  • PaddyP17 said:

No, that must be a misunderstanding @PaddyP17, I'm definitely in the South of France this weekend...
  • AshBurton said:

PaddyP17 said:

No, that must be a misunderstanding @PaddyP17, I'm definitely in the South of France this weekend...
    I was talking about Ash Jr. His flight leaves in two hours. Make sure he's at the airport safe and sound.